Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Pemberton

This locality was settled as early as 1862 but it wasn't until 1913, when two State saw-mills were established, that the area began to grow. Early names for the region included Big Brook, and proposed but rejected Walcott. The name Pemberton was first used in 1916 and was officially adopted when the town was gazetted in 1925. Pemberton takes its name from Pemberton Walcott, one of the very earliest settlers. Pemberton is 335 road kilometres south of Perth


 
 
   
 
 

Pemberton - Marron and Dairy Farm

An attractive dairy and marron farm on the northern outskirts of town. A lovely stand of trees over there on the horizon which is so typical of the district. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB001

 

Pemberton - Motel View

How about this for a motel backyard view? The tops of the trees are catching the early morning sun. This can be seen from the rear of some of the units of the Gloucester Motel on Ellis Street. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB002

 

Pemberton - Pemberton Pool

Mist lingers over the Pemberton Pool and sunlight shafts through more mist above the water. This is part of the Lefroy Brook. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB003

 

Pemberton - Main Street

Looking south-west down the Vasse Highway on a wet afternoon. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB004

 

Pemberton - Main Street

Shops on the Vasse Highway, the main street, which runs through Pemberton and on which are most of the shops and public buildings. Rain is coming in over the hills in the south-west. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB005

 

Pemberton - Austwest Timbers

Timber milling is still an important enterprise in this region although not so much as it used to be as the district industry mix has diversified somewhat. This is the Austwest timber yard. This mill commenced operation on this site in 1913 although none of the buildings now seen are original apart from the brick chimney. The first mill was established specifically to supply sleepers for the Trans-Australia railway project. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB006

 

Pemberton - Wooden Cottages

A row of typical wooden cottages that can be found in most towns which had their origins in saw-milling. These were constructed over a few years from 1913 by the Big Brook Timber Mill to accommodate workers. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB007

 

Pemberton - Youth Hostel

Another old wooden cottage, this one housing the Youth Hostels Association accommodation. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB008

 

Pemberton - Old Picture Theatre

On Ellis Street is the Old Picture Theatre, now holiday apartments. This was constructed in 1932 by Mr Allan Jones. Mr Jones came from Busselton and operated a travelling picture show business. Apparently pictures were formerly screened in the Mill Hall but Mr Jones fell out with the owners due to frequent cancellations of his shows so he went out and built his own venue which he called Adya Hall. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB009

 

Pemberton - Visitors Centre

The Karri Visitors Centre on the main street. These buildings were constructed in 1919 as a purpose-built school. Prior to the existence of these buildings, schooling was conducted in the Mill Hall. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB010

 

Pemberton - Discovery Centre

The pretty Pemberton Discovery Centre, complete with a gallery and exhibition, tourist information, gifts and souvenirs, and hiking and cycling accessories. Not to mention mini-golf as well. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB011

 

Pemberton - Crossings Bakery

Crossings Bakery on the Vasse Highway. Construction was circa 1920's. About 10 years ago this was a pizza cafe. Its origins apparently lie in baking bread, to which it seems to have returned. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB012

 

Pemberton - General Store

A great General Store full of just about anything you might need, including food and vegetables, hardware and sports tackle. Beyond is The Fire Place Cafe and L.J. Hooker Real Estate. These shops were built circa 1938. The main street was once known as Brockman Street but maps these days seem to prefer Vasse Highway. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB013

 

Pemberton - Mill Hall

The Pemberton Mill Worker's Hall was constructed by volunteer labour and of donated timber in 1913. The Hall was used as a school between 1914 and 1919. The building has been owned by various saw-milling companies across the decades. Bunnings donated $30,000 for restoration works in 1995 and also ceded ownership to the Crown (Pemberton Progress Association). October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB014

 

Pemberton - RSL Hall

The Pemberton RSL Memorial Library faces the Vasse Highway. The hall was opened by W. S. Lonnie, RSL State President, on 18th August, 1956. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB015

 

Pemberton - Millhouse Cafe

The Pemberton Millhouse Cafe located towards the south-western end of town. Estimated construction date is somewhere between 1913 and 1920. This may have originally been a part of the mill complex. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB016

 

Pemberton - CWA

Country Women's Association local headquarters on Hospital Avenue. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB017

 

Pemberton - Ernie's IGA

Ernie's IGA store is very well stocked and also well patronised today. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB018

 

Pemberton - Hotel

Pemberton Hotel on the Vasse Highway. Just above the sign you can make out the name "Johnston's". This hotel was originally built in the early 1900's in Greenbushes and was known as the Courthouse Hotel. In 1926 the Pemberton Hotel was constructed out of materials from the dismantled Courthouse Hotel which were transported here. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB019

 

Pemberton - Masonic Lodge

Pemberton Karri Lodge No. 149 WAC. on Ellis Street. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB020

 

Pemberton - Post Office

The Pemberton Post Office. As with many post offices now, this is really a mixed business. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB021

 

Pemberton - Anglican Church

St Hilda's Anglican Church on Guppy Street, Pemberton. The Manjimup Municipal Heritage Inventory lists the church as being constructed in the 1920's. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB022

 

Pemberton - Uniting Church

Pemberton Uniting Church in Australia. This was constructed in 1926 then as the town's Methodist Church. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB023

 

Pemberton - Catholic Church

The Sacred Heart Catholic Church is on the corner of Dean and Guppy Streets. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB024

 

Pemberton - Railway Station

Tucked away down towards Lefroy Creek is the well-preserved railway station. This is the home and headquarters of the Pemberton Tramway. The station was constructed in 1926 as the northern terminus of the Pemberton - Northcliffe railway. The line was eventually completed in 1933 and was something of an engineering feat. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB025

 

Pemberton - Rail Yard

A look down the rail yard. Ahead is a steam locomotive heading a long passenger train. Never to move, of course. Yarded are also a number of 'Y' class diesels, various trucks, vans and passenger cars, and a locomotive turntable. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB026

 

Pemberton - Rail Goods Shed

The former rail goods shed in the rail yard which would now be used by the Tramway. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB027

 

Pemberton - Tramway

A couple of Tramway cars in the rail yard. There are others. The Tramway operates a Forest Encounters/Warren River excursion twice daily at 10.45 am and 2.00pm. The round trip takes one and three quarter hours. The Tramway commenced in 1987 as a tourist attraction following the closure of the Pemberton - Northcliffe line to rail traffic. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB028

 

Pemberton - Steam Locomotive V1213

Steam locomotive V1213 complete with train sits in the yard. The 'V' class locomotives where the largest steamers ever to be used by the Western Australian Government Railways. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB029

 

Pemberton - Steam Locomotive SSM-No. 7

Steam locomotive SSM-No.7 in the Historical Precinct Park in the town centre. This was built in 1895 for the W.A.G.R. It was sold to the State Saw Mills in 1946 and operated at Mill number 7, hence the badge SSM-7. It operated at Shannon River from 1953 to 1960, thence at Pemberton from 1960. It performed yard shunting duties in the Pemberton railyard around 1970. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB030

 

Pemberton - Gloucester Tree

Late in the afternoon on a bleak, wet day. This is looking up the Gloucester Tree. You can see the metal spikes forming a spiralling footway up the tree. The public can climb the tree provided you're game. The former fire lookout platform at the top is 61 metres from the ground. The tree is only 3 kms from town, at the end of Burma Road. The lookout was built in 1946. October 2014. Photos Ref: PEMB031


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission