Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Port Gregory

Port Gregory, now oft called Gregory, sits on the coast between Northampton and Kalbarri, 523 kms north of Perth by the shortest route. The mouth of the Hutt River is nearby, as is the Hutt Lagoon also known as the Pink Lake. Port Gregory was established in 1849. Convicts were shipped here in 1853 and then this area was considered part of the Fremantle settlement. In 1854 the district was known as Pakington. Captain Sanford was an early administrator


 
 
   
 
 

Port Gregory - Welcome Sign

The town sign featuring the nearby Pink Lake. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG001

 

Port Gregory - General Store

The town's General Store is a fairly recent structure. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG002

 

Port Gregory - Caravan Park

The entrance to Port Gregory caravan park. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG003

 

Port Gregory - Houses

Here is a view down a street near the beach. Houses are old and new. Some of the lots which previously had beach shacks are being re-developed into substantial housing. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG004

 

Port Gregory - Jetty

The offshore reef and rocks protect the beach from big waves. Strong winds prevail here often, as is the case today. A man tries his hand at fishing on the town jetty. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG005

 

Port Gregory - Hutt Lagoon

Adjacent to town and running inland, up and down the coast, is the Hutt Lagoon, popularly known as the Pink Lake. This is a salt water lake and the pink hue is natural. It is caused by resident bacteria merging with salt particles. The lake can appear from milky pink to quite dark purple depending upon the weather conditions and the time of day it is viewed. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG006

 

Port Gregory - Hutt Lagoon

The algae from the lake is actually commercially extracted and used in vitamin A supplements and as a food colouring. The lake is slightly below sea level. The water in the lake is topped up by piping in sea water when necessary. The road into Port Gregory passes right by the lake so no deviation is necessary. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG007

 

Port Gregory - Sanford House

Just south of the Port Gregory townsite and Pink Lake is Captain Henry Sanford's property. This is Sanford House previously known as Lynton Homestead and sometimes then known as the Governor's Residence. This was built in 1853. Captain Sanford was the supervisor of the nearby convict settlement. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG008

 

Port Gregory - Sanford House

Here is a rear view of Captain Sanford's homestead. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG009

 

Port Gregory - Sanford House Silo

The old, circular, stone grain silo on the Sanford property. Henry Sanford arrived in W.A. on the vessel Dido in 1852. He was commissioned as local magistrate and oversaw the Port Gregory convict depot for only about one year thence he undertook private rural and mining pursuits. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG010

 

Port Gregory - Sanford House Stables

The Sanford house stables contain much historical information and artifacts and is open to the public. There is no charge. You may walk up to Sanford House through a paddock occupied by seemingly friendly bulls. Beware of the electric fences. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG011

 

Port Gregory - Sanford House View

A view from the upper storey of the Sanford House verandah. From here you can see the ocean and also the Pink Lake. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG012

 

Port Gregory - Lynton Barracks

The Lynton convict settlement is adjacent to the road into Port Gregory and easily visible from the road. The settlement in those days was considered to be part of Fremantle. Pictured is the barracks building which was designed to house up to 80 convicts who slept in double-tiered rows of hammocks. Actual convict numbers however varied between 5 and 40. This building was completed in 1855. Before that, they slept outside in tents. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG013

 

Port Gregory - Lynton Lock-up

The Lynton lock-up is just behind the old barracks and is in an advanced state of ruin. Convicts who committed serious offences whilst at the settlement were held here prior to shipment out to Fremantle. The cells were tiny - only measuring 2.2 by 1.2 metres. There are other marked ruins around the settlement. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG014

 

Port Gregory - Lynton Magistrate's HQ

This is believed to be the magistrate's quarters, erected for Captain Sanford's successor, William Burges. This would have been erected in or about 1855. December 2015. Photos Ref: PTGG015


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission