Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links

Catholic Churches in Western Australia

The Catholic Church's history commenced in Western Australia in 1843 when three priests arrived from Sydney. One of them took up land in Victoria Square in Perth City where he caused to be built the St John the Evangelist Church which still exists today (now known as St John's Pro-Cathedral). In 1845 the Diocese of Perth stretched from Albany all the way north to Darwin. Presented are photographs of Catholic churches we have come across in our travels


 
 
 

Bakers Hill

The Bakers Hill Catholic Church is on the south side of the Great Eastern Highway. This is the Holy Family Church. The priest travels down from Northam every second Sunday. Photo - February 2011

 

Beverley

On the north side of the Avon River is the Sacred Heart Church, Beverley, staffed by the Norbertine Father from York. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Most Rev. P. J. Clune, Archbishop of Perth, on July 23rd, 1933. Photo - February 2013

 

Bindi Bindi

Here is Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Bindi Bindi. The church was opened by Rev. Gregory Gomez on 30th November 1958. The church no longer operates as such. Photo - July 2012

 

Bindoon

A little to the north of the townsite of Bindoon is St Anne's Catholic Church. This building was consecrated by the Archbishop of Perth in 2004. The original church was built on this site in 1909. It was destroyed by a tornado in 1943. Photo - August 2011

 

Bolgart

This is St Augustine's Catholic Church in Bolgart. The Foundation Stone was laid on June 11th, 1939 by Most Rev. Henry Frewen La Fanu, Archbishop of Perth. Photo - October 2011

 

Boyanup

This is St Louis' Church, Boyanup, in the Catholic Parish of Dardanup and Boyanup. It is located on Bridge Street. The church was built in the early 1900's. Photo - February 2011

 

Calingiri

A more modern Catholic Church in Calingiri. This is St Anselm's Church. There is no evidence of construction details around the building but I'd suggest the 1950's or 60's. Photo - October 2011

 

Capel

In Capel is St Joseph's Catholic Church. The church is within the Donnybrook Parish and was built in 1913. The building was substantially renovated in 1993. Photo - February 2011

 

Chidlow

On the Old Northam Road, this is the Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone proclaims the dedication and opening on the church. This was on 16th December 1956 by the Most Reverend R. Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth. Photo - December 2011

 

Claremont

St Thomas Catholic Church is located on the corner of Melville Street and College Road, not far from the Loch Street railway station. Behind the church is St Thomas Primary School. The Foundation Stone was laid by Archbishop Prendiville on July 22nd, 1936. Photo - April 2013

 

Corrigin

This is St Therese Catholic Church in Corrigin. The Foundation Stone was laid by Most Rev. Redmond Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on 11th March 1956. Photo - June 2013

 

Cunderdin

Here is the Catholic Church of the Holy Cross Parish in Cunderdin. The Foundation Stone is inscribed in Latin. The Church was opened and dedicated by Reverendissimo P. J. Clune, D.D., C.S.S.R, in September 1922. Photo - June 2011

 

Dalkeith

The Carmel of the Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church is on Adelma Road in Dalkeith. The Foundation Stone was laid the His Grace Most Rev. R. Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on 15th October 1936. Photo - January 2011

 

Dardanup

The foundation stone of the Dardanup Immaculate Conception Catholic Church was laid by the Reverend Dr R. Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on December 12th 1937. Photo - December 2010

 

Dumbleyung

The Dumbleyung Catholic Church. The name of the church is not evident around the building but I believe it to be St John the Baptist Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by Revmo Patritio Josepho Clune on 16th December 1925 The stone is written in Latin. Photo - February 2013

 

Gingin

St Catherine's Catholic Church in Gingin was constructed in 1931. By the 1990's the building had fallen into considerable disrepair and was close to demolition. It was saved by a huge amount of restoration work done by the Father Paul Fox and his parishioners. Photo - September 2013

 

Goomalling

The Goomalling Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The building was blessed and opened on February 24th, 1963 by Right Rev. Gregory Gomez, Abbot Nullius of New Norcia. Photo - October 2011

 

Guildford

Towards the east end of Guildford on James Street and opposite Fauntleroy Street is St Mary's Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Most Rev. Redmond Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on July 28th, 1936. Photo - April 2013

 

Harvey

Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Harvey. This church was dedicated and opened by the Rev. Dr Clune, Archbishop of Perth, on Sunday 20th November 1932. Photo - December 2010

 

Harvey

Off Young Street is the new Catholic Church. This is Our Lady of the Immigrants Church and was built in 1972. Photo - January 2014

 

Herne Hill

St Michael's Catholic Church is on the Great Northern Highway in Herne Hill. It was built in 1935. Photo - July 2011

 

Highgate

The north side of Mary Street is mostly taken up by a Catholic Church complex including a school and a monastery. At the western end is the Sacred Heart Parish Church, Highgate. This is a view from the rear. The Foundation Stone is inscribed in Latin. It was laid on 20th August 1905 by Rev. Matthew Gibney. Photo - July 2013

 

Jarrahdale

St Maria Goretti Catholic Church in Jarrahdale. According to the sign, Mass is held here "occasionally". Other times people have to go to St Kevin's in Serpentine. Photo - January 2014

 

Jennacubbine

This is the Saint Isidore (Patron Saint of Agriculturalists) Catholic Church at Jennacubbine. The building was dedicated on 17th November 1907 by the Lord Bishop of Perth, The Most Rev. M. Gibney. Photo - October 2011

 

Jolimont

The Mary Help of Christians Catholic Church is at the southern end of Cardigan Terrace, at the top of Peel Street, in Jolimont. Constructed of timber in 1915, external brick cladding was added in 1977. The Church was formerly St Hugh's Church of England. Photo - January 2011

 

Karragullen

This is the Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Karragullen and Roleystone. It's located a couple of hundred metres south of the Karragullen townsite, on Canning Road, at the junction of Rokewood Way. The Church opened in 1956. Photo - January 2012

 

Kellerberrin

St Joseph's Catholic Church of Kellerberrin. The Foundation Stone is written in Latin. The Church was dedicated and opened by the Reverendissimo Mons. Verling V.C., on the 5th October 1916. Photo - June 2011

 

Konnongorring

On the southern side of Konnongorring is St Michael the Archangel Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by the Lord Abbott of New Norcia (The Right Rev. Anselm Catalan) on 28th July, 1929. Services ceased in June 1974. In recent times the church has been used as a private residence. Photo - October 2011

 

Maylands

Seventh Avenue is graced by Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Parish Columbarium Catholic church. The Foundation Stone was laid on 29th June 1924 by Most Rev. P. J. Clune, Archbishop of Perth. The church has recently undergone renovations and was reblessed and opened by Most Rev. Timothy Costelloe, Archbishop of Perth on 02 November, 2013. Photo - January 2014

 

Miling

On the south side of Miling is the Church of the Holy Rosary which is not in use anymore. The Foundation Stone was laid by Right Rev Gregory Gomez, Abbott Nullius of New Norcia on 11th July 1954. Another stone was laid by Rev. James Knox on 21st February 1954. Catholic services are now held in the town's Anglican Church. Photo - July 2012

 

New Norcia

A view of the northern aspect of the New Norcia Monastery Chapel. You can just make out the bell tower which is located at the front of the chapel. Photo - July 2012

 

Perth

The centre-piece of Victoria Square in Perth is St Mary's Cathedral. Construction of the Cathedral commenced in 1863 and was completed in 1865 but over the years there have been many subsequent additions and changes. In 2008-2009 the Cathedral underwent a significant renovation program. Photo - August 2010

 

Perth

St John's Pro-Cathedral is on Victoria Square. Erected in 1843, this is the oldest surviving church in Perth. This church served as Perth's Cathedral between 1845 and 1865. In 1865, St Mary's Cathedral opened. Bishop Sir Launcelot Goody oversaw restoration of this building in 1977. Photo - August 2010

 

Pickering Brook

On Merrivale Road is Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church. The Church was opened on 7th December 1997 by Rev. Monsignor Michael Keating. Photo - July 2012

 

Pingelly

St Anne's Catholic Church in Pingelly. Construction date and opening details are not known as there is no Foundation Stone on the building. Photo - November 2011

 

Pinjarra

The St Augustine's Catholic Church on George Street in Pinjarra is in the Diocese of Bunbury. Photo - August 2011

 

Quairading

This is St Francis Xaviers Catholic Church in Quairading. The Foundation Stone proclaims the blessing and opening on 27th December 1936 by Most Rev. R. Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth. Photo - January 2012

 

Rottnest

This is the Catholic Holy Trinity Church located up a small hill close to the Settlement Centre on Rottnest Island. The Church opened in 1975 and it is within the Parish of Saint Patrick's Basilica, Fremantle. Photo - January 2013

 

Serpentine

On Richardson Street in Serpentine is St Kevin's Catholic Church. The Church looks of early 1900's in construction style, with its horizontal local hard-wood walls. Originally the roof was shingled. The iron roof later replaced the shingles. Photo - May 2012

 

Subiaco

The Church on Salvado Road Subiaco opposite the St John of God Hospital. This is St Joseph's Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by Archbishop Clune on 5th November 1933. Photo - July 2013

 

Victoria Park

Sitting in between St Joachim's Hall and the Ursula Frayne Catholic College is the St Joachim's Catholic Church which was constructed in 1955. Photo - March 2013

 

Waroona

St Patrick's Catholic church on the South Western Highway in the centre of Waroona. The Foundation Stone was laid by Most Rev. Redmond Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on 10th August 1941. Photo - January 2014

 

West Leederville

In the Catholic Education Centre on Ruislip Street, West Leederville is the chapel of St Michael the Archangel. The main buildings in the Education Centre were constructed in the period 1903 - 1920 as the Home Of The Good Shepherd, a home for delinquents. The chapel is a much later addition, built in 1938. Photo - January 2011

 

West Perth

St Brigid's church is right next to St Brigid's school on Fitzgerald Street. Construction commenced in 1904 and was completed by 1905. The church was built by the Sisters of Mercy as logical extension to their already operational adjacent convent (completed in 1896). The Presbytery was completed in 1902. Photo - June 2010

 

Wilson

The Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church is at the southern end of Bungaree Road in Wilson. The Church looks of around 1960's vintage. Photo - October 2012

 

Woodlands

On Angelico Street Woodlands, just down from St Catherine's Convent and the Holy Rosary Primary School, is Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church. Photo - January 2013

 

Yarloop

St Joseph's Catholic Church of Yarloop. The Church opened on June 26th 1906. Photo - December 2010

 

York

The present St Patrick's Catholic Church in York. Construction commenced in 1875 and it was completed in 1886. Photo - January 2013

 

York

The original York Catholic Church was east of the river. The one pictured was built in 1860 to be later superseded by the much larger stone church in 1886. This building now serves as the parish hall. The first parish priest was a Benedictine from New Norcia. Photo - January 2013


All photos published in "Photographs of Perth" are copyright © of the webmaster