Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Courthouses in Western Australia

The Courthouse is a pubic building found in most localities of reasonable size. These were established as a place for meting out justice to those apprehended by the constabulary. The courts also deal with small civil matters and as mining Warden. Larger centres usually have a resident Stipendiary Magistrate who periodically visits smaller neighbouring towns. In the absence of the Magistrate, non-indictable matters are handled by Justices of the Peace


 
 
 

Albany

The Courthouse on Stirling Terrace. This was built between 1896 and 1898. The archways over the doors are of local granite. The Foundation Stone was laid by F. H. Piesse, Director of Public Works and Commissioner for Railways on 29th December, 1896. The building is adorned with a large British Coat-of-Arms. Up until about 1970, the police station was also within the complex. Photo - October 2014

 

Beverley

The old Court House looks really impressive and is being impeccably maintained. It was built in 1897 and operated as the town's courthouse until 1980. These days it is used as an arts and crafts centre. September 2010. Photo - September 2010

 

Busselton

The old Busselton Courthouse towards the northern end of Queen Street. This was constructed in 1897 and operated until 1976. Today the building is used as a Tea Room. Inside the magistrate's bench, the clerk's bench and the witness box have been preserved, amongst other furniture and fittings. Remembered are former Busselton Clerks of Court Alan Down and Frank Bullock. Photo - January 2013

 

Busselton

This is looking down the northern face of the courthouse. Construction of this court/police complex (rear stone section) commenced in 1856. Photo - January 2013

 

Dalwallinu

Adjacent to the rail yard is the old courthouse building which how hosts a craftshop and provides tourist information. Photo - November 2014

 

Dongara

The former police station and courthouse is now the home of the Irwin District Museum. This was built in 1870 and served at the town police station until 1983. Photo - September 2014

 

Fremantle

This is the old Court House on Henderson Street. At the rear is the police station. The front building was built using convict labour in 1850. The police complex was added at the rear in 1897. The Fremantle Court moved to the new Fremantle Justice Complex on Holdsworth Street in 2001. In 2015 the building is undergoing renovations. The Clerk of Courts in the 1960's and 1970's was Hugh P. Hardiman. Photo - November 2007

 

Fremantle

Located at 22 Marine Terrace, on the corner of Mouat Street is an early Fremantle courthouse which was built in 1884. The premises have also been variably used across the decades as a Water Supply Office, Haven Tanderra and Uniting House. This is now part of the Notre Dame University and used for Law School mooting. Photo - December 2014

 

Geraldton

The magnificent Geraldton Courthouse is located on the eastern part of Marine Terrace, on the corner of Forrest Street. The building was opened in October 1897. An earlier wooden courthouse existed near Gregory Street which was built 1863 but very soon outgrew its usefulness. Photo - September 2014

 

Geraldton

The rear of the courthouse viewed from Forrest Street is bathed in the early post-dawn sunlight. The Pensioner Barracks existed on this site before the courthouse was built. Photo - September 2014

 

Greenbushes

This is the old Courthouse and Post Office in Greenbushes. Apparently this building is a 1930's reconstruction as the original 1893 buildings were largely destroyed by white ants. In front of this building used to be the Town Hall and town water tanks. Photo - April 2012

 

Guildford

The old Guildford courthouse on Meadow Street, next door to the old gaol, opened as a gala event in January 1867. It was built using convict labour. Knowing that cessation of transportation of convicts to the colony was imminent, the then Governor Hampton made the most of convict resources through a vigorous construction program. The building later also served as a police station. There used to be a small clock tower over the entrance. Photo - April 2013

 

Kellerberrin

This is known at the Kellerberrin Historical Society District Museum. The building look like it used to be a church or church hall however advice from an ex-resident confirms it was originally the Courthouse. Photo - June 2011

 

Merredin

The Merredin Courthouse on Mitchell Street next door to the police station. The courthouse was built in 1934. Photo - March 2015

 

Midland

The old Midland Courthouse sits adjacent to the Public Library and behind the Midland Town Hall complex, on Helena Street. The courthouse was built in 1907 and underwent considerable renovations in 2010. This place can be hired via the City of Swan for conferences and events. Photo - April 2013

 

Midland

Slightly north of the Midland town centre is new courthouse on Spring Park Road. Photo - October 2010

 

Mukinbudin

The courthouse and police station complex. This is on Maddock Street and was built in 1967. Photo - March 2015

 

Narrogin

Up on Egerton Street the old Courthouse has been transformed into a museum. Built in 1894, this was originally a school. It was the local courthouse from 1905 to 1976 apart from the period 1924 to 1945 when is was used by the Agricultural Bank. Interesting history. Photo - November 2011

 

Northam

The courthouse on Wellington Street. Next door is the old police station. The building was opened By Hon. F. H. Piesse M.L.A., Director of Public Works, on 29th June 1896. At that time C. R. Knight Esq. was the Mayor of Northam. The design of this building is almost identical to the courthouses in Beverley and Toodyay. Photo - October 2012

 

Perth

This building is the original old Perth Police Courts. Later it housed the Perth Local Court (civil financial proceedings). Newer courts are now scattered around the city. This building is at the southern end of Stirling Street. You can see the BankWest Tower in the city in the background. Photo - January 2012

 

Perth

The Supreme Court of Western Australia sits in the Stirling Gardens amongst well-manicured gardens and many a variety of tree. This site was the state's first botanic garden. The land was allocated for this purpose in 1829 and finally opened in 1845. The court building pictured opened on June 2nd, 1902. Photo - July 2010

 

Perth

This is the rear view (the river side) of the Supreme Court building. Photo - August 2010. Photos Ref: PESP002

 

Perth

Adjacent to the Supreme Court is this building. This is the old court-house, in fact the oldest surviving building in the City of Perth. It was built in 1836-1837. According to the plaque on the wall outside, the building has, over the years, served as a church, school, immigration dept, supreme court, house and court and state arbitration court. In 1965 it became HQ for the Law Society of WA. Very interestingly, when this was built, it stood very close to the original Swan River foreshore. Photo - August 2010

 

Perth

On Hay Street slightly east of the city centre is the current home of the District Court of Western Australia. The building boasting modern courtrooms and amenities. Photo - July 2010

 

Pinjarra

The former Court House at 22 George Street. This was established in 1935. There used to be a an older court building on this site. The Courts closed in 2003. Since then, all Ministry of Justice business is conducted from their Mandurah premises. Photo - March 2009

 

Southern Cross

This is the Yilgarn History Museum which opened in 1979. This building complex was erected in 1892 as the town's courthouse and mining registrar's office. Over the years the building fell into considerable disrepair and was eventually condemned. In 1976 local people rallied to have the building saved. They were successful. It was vested in the Shire of Yilgarn and renovated. Photo - March 2015

 

Toodyay

The Toodyay courthouse on Fiennes Street, with its distinctive red brickwork. This is off the main road on the north side of the railway lines. This building operated as a courthouse until 2004. The Shire of Toodyay now occupies the complex. The building is of "English Bond style" and was constructed in 1897. Photo - October 2013

 

Wagin

Immediately to the right of the Town Hall is the Wagin courthouse. It is of typical 1912 courthouse design. The first Resident Magistrate in this building was Mr Burt. February 2013. Photo - February 2013

 

York

To the right of the York Post Office on Avon Terrace is the old courthouse and next to that the old police station. The foundation stone was laid by Premier, Sir John Forrest on 24th October 1895. These buildings went through significant restoration in 1983-1984 and were re-opened on 12th May 1984 by the Governor-General, Sir Ninian Stephen. Photo - January 2013


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission