Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Fire Stations in Western Australia

The Old Perth Fire Station on Murray Street in Perth was the first purpose-built fire station in Western Australia. Shortly afterwards a station was established in Fremantle. In those days, fire equipment was horse-drawn. The Fire and Emergency Services today not only deals with fires, but also cyclones, floods, storms, earthquakes, hazardous chemical handling, and search and rescue. The Bush Fire Brigade provides an incalculable service in the country


 
 
 

Allanson

On the Railway Parade is this rather quaint Allanson Bushfires Brigades headquarters. In days gone by this building may have been a coal miner's cottage. Photo - March 2014

 

Brigadoon

This is the Brigadoon fire station located on Cathedral Avenue. Photo - July 2011

 

Cannington

The old Cannington Fire Station converted into a fine home, on a side street, off the highway. Photo - October 2013

 

Cottesloe

Travelling north on Stirling Highway, past the Cottesloe town centre is the old fire station on the corner of Stirling Highway and Congdon Street. This fine old brick building is hard to miss. It was built in 1910. December 2010. Photo - December 2010

 

Darlington

This is the Darlington Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade building. Darlington is a Perth hills suburb of containing many houses set in and around forests and dense bush so the volunteers provide an invaluable community service. Photo - March 2012

 

Fremantle

The old Fire Station on Phillimore Street. This is now used as an International Backpackers Hostel. The pictured building was opened in 1909 and was designed for horse-drawn vehicles. Next door is the new, functioning fire station built in 1977. During World War II, the old fire station was used by the U.S. Military. The building narrowly escaped demolition in 1977 through public outcry. It is now administered by the City of Fremantle. Photo - December 2014

 

Kellerberrin

The former Kellerberrin fire station. This was built in 1914 and extended in 1935. Local dances where held in here during the World War II years. June 2011. Photos Ref: KELL011

 

Keysbrook

Just up Elliot Road a hundred metres or so is the Keysbrook Hall and Fire Depot. Photo - April 2011

 

Konnongorring

The Volunteer Fire Brigade building in Konnongorring. Volunteers would probably come from surrounding farms. Unchecked bush fires in these generally dry areas would have devastating consequences. The volunteers are like a cooperative of sorts, everyone looking after everyone else as is the country spirit. Photo - October 2011

 

Merredin

The fire station on Mitchell Street. This appears to be still functioning. It was built in 1935. Photo - March 2015

 

Muchea

The Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade fire station together with a huge water tank sit on the west side of Brand Highway at Muchea. Photo - July 2011

 

Northam

On Duke Street near to the Link Theatre is the old fire station which is now the Northam Toy Library. There is a Men's Shed out the back. This was built in 1929, replacing an earlier 1903 utility. Photo - October 2012

 

North Dandalup

The North Dandalup fire station is located just behind the Memorial Hall, off the South Western Highway. Photo - July 2010

 

North Perth

Across the road from both the old Town Halls is the old North Perth fire station, built in 1926. Photo - January 2013

 

Perth

The Old Fire Station on Murray Street seen past one of those fine Moreton Bay Fig trees that line this end of the street. This was Perth's first purpose-built fire station and was constructed in 1900 and known simply as Fire Brigade No.1 Station. It operated as a fire station until 1979. Now it's a Museum and a Fire & Education Training Centre. Photo - November 2008

 

Tammin

Bright red doors on the front of the fire station and a manual bell out the front. The station dates back to 1926. Photo - June 2011

 

Toodyay

A typical looking period fire station. The building was constructed by the W.A. Fire Brigades Board and was opened by James Pollitt, Esq., J.P., on 20th August 1938. Today these premises are occupied by the Sommerville Gallery. Photo - October 2013

 

West Leederville

On McCourt Street in West Leederville, just across the road from St John of God Subiaco Convent is this old fire station. A few years ago I think this was a craft shop. Current use is not known. Photo - January 2011

 

York

On Avon Terrace in York is the old Fire Station which now serves as a Community Centre. The foundation stone was laid by W. Dinsdale Esq. J.P. and Mayor on 18th March 1897. This building was the original Council Chambers. The Council vacated in 1911 when the new Town Hall was completed. The Council sold the building to the Volunteer Fire Brigade who occupied the building through to 1988. Photo - September 2010


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission