Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Masonic Halls in Western Australia

The beginnings of Freemasonary are lost in the centuries. Indeed, it wasn't until 1717, in England, that any written lodge records were kept. The origin of the fraternity is also unclear. A popular theory is that it was formed as a guild of stonemasons, an honoured trade, those who constructed many important buildings across Europe. The Masonic philosophy is basically world peace and unity through love and understanding. Here are a few halls we encountered


 
 
 

Albany

The Albany Masonic Centre is on Earl Street. Photo - October 2014

 

Albany

On Spencer Street is the large Freemasons Hall. This is Lodge No. 1464.EC. The Foundation Stone was laid by Bro. J. Mckenzie on 3th July, 1903. This hall is built on the site of the original 1873 Masonic Lodge (Lodge of St John) which was demolished in 1903. Photo - October 2014

 

Armadale

On the corner of Fourth and Church Avenues is the Masons Hall. There are two foundation stones. The earlier reads: "To the Glory of God. This stone was laid by Mr Henry Wright, President Churches of Christ Conference WA, March 13th, 1926", and the second: "Goolamrup Lodge No. 94 W.A.C., This tablet was unveiled by M.W. Bro. F. A. McMullen, Grand Master - Grand Lodge of W.A., to commemorate opening Masonic Hall Armadale, July 28th, 1934". Goolamrup was the Noongar name for Kelmscott where the Lodge met until it moved to Armadale in 1934. Photo - June 2014

 

Bencubbin

This is the Masonic Lodge W.A.C. No. 330. It was erected in 1958. Photo - March 2015

 

Beverley

This is the Beverley Masonic Lodge. W.A.C. No.73. Photo - September 2010

 

Bridgetown

The sturdy Masonic Lodge on Hampton Street, Bridgetown. The Foundation Stone was laid by Bro. H. Doust, Treas., on 13th April 1910. United Lodge No. 60 WAC. I would assume that Bro. Doust is Henry Doust, original owner of the Bridgetown's Scott's Tavern. Photo - April 2012

 

Brookton

The former Mason's Hall on Richardson Street. Ownership very recently changed hands. A lot of excited activity around here today as the Brookton Bandicoot Girl Guides are having a garage sale here. Irrespective of who the new owner is, it seems this is now the town's new Guide Hall. Photo - June 2016

 

Bruce Rock

This is the Senior Citizen Centre Association of Bruce Rock. This building was formerly the local Masonic Lodge. The Foundation Stone was laid by Bro. John Lethlean on 17th October, 1923. Photo - June 2013

 

Bunbury

On Wittenoom Street is the Masonic Wellington Lodge. This was built in 1893. The Lodge was formed on May 10th, 1886. Photo - December 2016

 

Carnamah

The former local Masonic Hall. This appears to be now used as some kind of workshop. Photo - September 2014

 

Coorow

The Masonic Hall at the eastern end of town on Main Street. This was built in 1955. Photo - September 2014

 

Dalwallinu

The Dalwallinu Freemasons Lodge No. 123, W. A. C. The Completion Tablet was unveiled by R. W. Deputy Grand Master, Bro. A. C. McCallum, on 13th October 1927. Photo - November 2014

 

Dowerin

The Dowerin Lodge of Freemasons hall. The Memorial Tablet (Foundation Stone) was unveiled by Bro. F. D. Sewell (Senior Grand Warden) on 9th May, 1929. Photo - April 2012

 

East Fremantle

On Canning Highway opposite the end of Gill Street is the former Masonic Hall now used by The Complete Advantage Therapy Focus Group for children. Photo - December 2014

 

Geraldton

On Augustus Street is the Masonic Lodge No.3 W.A.C. This is also used by other Masonic Lodges such as Mullewa No. 105, and Champion Bay No. 130. The lodge was built in 1892. Photo - December 2015

 

Gingin

The Gingin Masonic Hall on Edwards Street looks 1950's or 1960's in design. Photo - September 2013

 

Gnowangerup

This is the former Agricultural Hall erected in 1910. In 1924 the building was sold to the Freemasons. Photo - December 2016

 

Goomalling

On the corner of Quinlan and Lockyer Streets, Goomalling is the Masonic Hall. This is Goomalling Lodge No. 106, W.A.C. The Foundation Stone was laid by Deputy Grand Master Bro. A. C. McCallum on 22nd April 1930. This is now the Senior Citizens Hall. Photo - July 2013

 

Harvey

Harvey Mason's Hall, The Harvey Lodge No. 96. The Hall was dedicated on May 16th, 1934 by M. W. Bro. F. A. McMullen, Grand Master. Photo - January 2014

 

Kulin

Kulin Masonic Lodge W.A.C. No. 160. The Foundation Stone describes this as the Golden Fleece Chapter No.39 S.G.R.A.C. of W.A. One stone was unveiled by Dr J.L. Rossiter, First Grand Principal, on March 6th, 1948. An earlier stone was unveiled by Bro. DR J.S. Battye on October 25th, 1937. Photo - April 2015

 

Margaret River

Masons Lodge 166 WAC on Station Road, Margaret River. This building was opened on October 31, 1936. Extensions were made in 1953. Photo - December 2013

 

Midland

This rather attractive and gleaming-white building is on the corner of Spring Park Road and Poynton Avenue. This was constructed as a Masonic Hall in 1903. The Foundation Stone was laid by Dr J. W. Hackett, MLC, Grand Master on February 2, 1903. In residence in 2013 is Scanlan Surveyors. Photo - April 2013

 

Mingenew

The Mingenew Lodge of Freemasons No. 101 W.A.C. The hall completion tablet was unveiled by V. Wor Bro G. A. Kempton on 25th October, 1926. Photo - September 2014

 

Mundaring

This is the Mundaring Stratford Day Lodge No. 90 W.A.C. on Jacoby Street. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Most Worshipful Grand Master, The Most Rev. C.O.L. Riley, Archbishop of Perth, on March 13th, 1926. Photo - March 2015

 

Mundijong

The Masonic Lodge - The Jarrahdale Lodge No. 49 W.A.C. - is located across the road from the new primary school on Butcher Street. This was built in 1901 and was originally located at Jarrahdale. The building was moved to this Mundijong site in 1947. Photo - September 2012

 

Nedlands

At the top of Broadway almost at Stirling Highway in Nedlands is the old Nedlands Park Masonic Hall constructed in 1935. Photo - January 2013

 

Northam

Stone Court is on the corner of Duke and Gordon Streets and is now a private residence. Originally this was the Masonic Lodge built in 1900 to their typical solid design. Later it was a restaurant. Photo - October 2012

 

Northampton

This is the Masonic Hampton Lodge No. 93 W.A.C. The Lodge was consecrated on March 10th, 1913. Photo - December 2015

 

Pemberton

Pemberton Karri Lodge No. 149 WAC. on Ellis Street. Photo - October 2014

 

Perth

This is the International Co-Freemasonry Temple on Brisbane Street. It is St Cuthbert's Lodge No. 408. The Foundation Stone was laid by Illus. Bro. S.S. Fisher on 25th April, 1936. Photo - January 2014

 

Pinjarra

The Masonic Hall on Pinjarra Road which is just across the road from the Shire of Murray offices. This view is post-renovation. The Foundation Stone was laid on behalf of the district Freemasons by The Hon. E. McLarty M. L. C., Brother John Pollard McLarty, Brother John McNabb and Brother A. E. Thomas on November 28th, 1903. Photo - April 2013

 

Southern Cross

The Southern Cross Masonic Lodge No. 2574 E.C. The Foundation Stone was laid by Bro. Samuel Colman on June 1st, 1898. Photo - March 2015

 

Subiaco

On the corner of Roberts and Coughlan Roads in Subiaco is the former Freemasons Hall. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Deputy Grand Master, Bro. A. C. McCallum, on July 14th, 1929. In 2015 this building is being used by the Peard Real Estate corporate operations office. Photo - September 2015

 

Tambellup

On North Terrace is Masonic Lodge WAC No. 206, built in 1954. Photo - December 2016

 

Toodyay

The Masons Hall is on Fiennes Street, Toodyay, very close to the courthouse. There are no outward signs on the building of a construction date but it appears to be around the 1890's. Photo - October 2013

 

Victoria Park

The fine brickwork of the Victoria Park Masonic Hall stretches from Albany Highway down Temple Street. This was erected in 1927. Photo April 2015

 

Wagin

Across the road from the Wagin Anglican church is the Masonic Lodge. It is Wagin Lodge No. 74 W.A.C. The Foundation Stone was laid by Bro. F. Goldsmith, Lord Bishop of Bunbury and Past Grand Chaplain on 27th November, 1907. Photo - February 2013

 

Wickepin

Here is the old Road Board Office and Hall building. This was built in 1909 and is believed to be the first brick building to be erected in Wickepin. When the Road Board moved out it was then used as a Masonic Lodge. Photo - June 2013

 

Wongan Hills

Constructed in 1928, this is what once was the local Masonic Lodge. It operated as such until around 2003 when the Lodge amalgamated with Dowerin. The Apex Club how occupies the hall. October 2011. Photo - October 2011

 

Wyalkatchem

This building is the Wyalkatchem Lodge of Freemasons. The building completion stone was unveiled by Bro. C. O. L. Riley, Grand Master and Archbishop of Perth, on 13th September 1926. Photo - April 2012

 

Yarloop

The Yarloop Masonic Lodge No. 138 W.A.C., consecrated in 1928. Photo - January 2014

 

York

This building was constructed in 1887 as a hall for the Oddfellows. It was sold to the Freemasons in 1925 whereby it became their Lodge Number 5 in Western Australia. The Foundation Stone was laid by Mrs J. R.M. Thomas on May 18th, 1887. Photo - September 2010


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission