Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

R.S.L. Halls in Western Australia

The Returned and Services League of Australia was established as the Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia in 1916. In 1940 the name was amended to include Airmen. By 1965, the name was changed to the Returned Services League of Australia. The present name was adopted in 1990. The League was born out of concern for the welfare of servicemen returning from World War I. Personnel from all services and conflicts are now supported


 
 
 

Armadale

The old RSL Hall, still in use today. This was constructed in 1935 and the hall is apparently available for hire. It is Streich Avenue South, very close to the train station. Photo - January 2012

 

Bassendean

The Bassendean RSL Hall on Kenny Street. The hall was opened by Mr W. S. Lonnie, State Secretary of the R.S.S. and A.I.L.A., on September 17th, 1960. Photo - February 2016

 

Boddington

In the vicinity of the Boddington old and new hospitals is the RSL Hall. This was built in 1958. Photo - October 2011

 

Borden

The Borden RSL Memorial Hall on Moir Street. This appears to be used by Harvest Pop-Up Cafe these days. Photo - December 2016

 

Brookton

Right next door to the CWA rooms on Robinson Road is the small RSL Hall. It looks of rather the same vintage as the CWA rooms - 1960's. Photo - June 2016

 

Bullsbrook

A little to the east of Bullsbrook, up Chittering Road. This is the local RSL Hall nearly on the edge of town. Photo - July 2011

 

Capel

Towards the top end of the main street of Capel is the local RSL Hall. Photo - February 2011

 

Carnamah

Carnamah's RSL Memorial Hall. This was erected in 1955. It is now used as a school pre-primary centre. Photo - September 2014

 

Caversham

The Caversham District and Memorial Hall on West Swan Road near Benara Road. This was built in 1958 and opened by Hon. J. J. Brady, MLA, on May 24th of that year. The first hall on this site was known as the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall which was erected in 1921. It burnt down in 1943. Photo - July 2011

 

Coorow

The RSL Memorial Hall. This was constructed in 1954. The building has been used more recently as a pre-primary school centre. Photo - September 2014

 

Denmark

The RSL Memorial Hall on Strickland Street. Originally a wooden structure, the front brick section looks to be a later modification. On this site once stood the original school principal's house. Photo - October 2014

 

Dwellingup

The picturesque wooden RSL Sub-branch on the main street. So typical of the jarrah wooden-slatted architecture of many cottages in the area. This was originally the 1911 constructed Marrinup School and was relocated here after the 1961 bushfires. The earlier Dwellingup RSL building was destroyed in the fires. Photo - August 2009

 

Fremantle

At 81-83 High Street is the Fremantle Wyola R.S.L. Club Inc. This building goes back to 1903. It appears to be undergoing some renovations at present. The structure on the left looks a little older. Photo - December 2014

 

Geraldton

The RSL Birdwood House on Chapman Road. Photo - September 2014

 

Hamilton Hill

The Hamilton Hill Memorial Hall looks resplendent. It looks to have been recently renovated. The Hall is on the corner of Carrington Street and Rockingham Road. The building has two Foundation Stones, both were laid on March 21st, 1925. One was laid by Mrs W.M. Winfield and the other by the then Governor, Sir William Campion. Photo - April 2016

 

Harvey

The RSL Hall on Becher Street was constructed in 1938. The front section appears to have been added much later. The main building behind the facade is made of weatherboard and iron. This building is now used as the Harvey Playgroup on weekday mornings. Photo - January 2014

 

Hyden

The Memorial Hall is dedicated to all those who lost their lives in World War II. The building was erected by the Hyden Memorial Hall Finance Committee and was opened in November, 1952. Photo - April 2015

 

Kojonup

The Memorial Hall on Albany Highway. This was constructed largley through the efforts of the RSL. The Foundation Stone was laid by J. G. Finlay Esq., J.P., of the Kojonup branch of the RSL, on 11th November, 1925. The building was officially opened by Major-General Sir J. J. Talbot-Hobbs on 20th August, 1926. Photo - October 2014

 

Kukerin

The Kukerin Pioneers Memorial Hall. The front section seems to be a more recent addition. Photo - April 2015

 

Kulin

The Kulin Memorial Hall. Much of the brickwork on the front has been rendered. The Hall was opened by the Kulin Road Board on March 20th, 1928. Photo - April 2015

 

Manjimup

The RSL Manjimup Sub-Branch building. This was constructed in 1939 and was opened by A. Yeates, Esq. on the 16th September of that year. Photo - October 2014

 

Midland

On Railway Parade at number 84 is the former RSL Hall which at one time was also the district lodge of the Buffaloes. The building was constructed in 1910. It looks like the building lacks depth but the right wall angles in to the left and the section towards the rear is not visible in this picture. In 2015 this is the registered office of a couple of companies. Photo - January 2015

 

Nannup

The RSL Nannup Sub-Branch on Cross Street. This is on the State Heritage List but that provides no history. You can see for yourself that the building is in wonderful condition. Photo - January 2015

 

Narembeen

This is the former RSL Hall. The Foundation Stone was laid by Sir Charles Latham on November 15th, 1958. This has been more recently used as a museum. Photo - April 2015

 

Narrogin

The RSL Soldiers Memorial Institute at 29 Egerton Street (the building on the left). This was built in 1924. These days the Rotary Club shares the premises with the RSL. The building on the right seems to be History Hall, formerly the Ambulance Hall, erected in the memory of pioneer Dr David Mackie. Photo - November 2011

 

Northampton

Towards the northern end of town is the R.S.L. Memorial Hall. The building was opened on October 20th, 1956. Photo - December 2015

 

Nungarin

The former Nungarin Memorial Hall now home to the Natural Resource Management Office. The Hall was built in memory of those who died in the two world wars. It was opened on September 4th, 1957 by Sir Charles Gardiner, Governor. The building was erected by the Nungarin Sub Branch RSL, the Nungarin Masonic Lodge, and the Nungarin Scout and Guide Group. Photo - March 2015

 

Nyabing

The very smart RSL Hall on the main street, Richmond Street. This was erected in 1965. Photo - December 2016

 

Osborne Park

The Osborne Park Memorial RSL Hall dates back to 1930. The building in on Main Street, at the corner of Cape Street. Photo - August 2011

 

Pemberton

The Pemberton RSL Memorial Library faces the Vasse Highway. The hall was opened by W. S. Lonnie, RSL State President, on 18th August, 1956. Photo - October 2014

 

Pingelly

The local RSL Hall, on Parade Street, Pingelly, towards the south side of town. This building was opened on 2nd July 1938 by A. Yeates Esq., OBE, State President of the R.S.S.I.L.A. Photo - November 2011

 

South Perth

The old (but not that old) RSL Hall on Angelo Street looks like it is sharing with or given way to a real estate agency. Photo - November 2011

 

Tambellup

The tiny RSL Hall is located just south of the hotel on Great Southern Highway. It was built in 1937. Photo - December 2016

 

Wagin

What a splendid structure to see on Tudhoe Street. It is of course the local Community Centre and RSL sub-branch and is on the corner of Usil Lane. Photo - February 2013

 

Waroona

The RSL Memorial Hall. This was built in 1932 and the Foundation Stone was laid by the then Premier, Ross McLarty. December 2010. Photo - December 2010

 

Wyalkatchem

On Wilson Street in the 1955 RSL Memorial Hall. The Foundation Stone was laid by Sir Charles Gardiner, Governor of Western Australia, on April 23th, 1955. Photo - July 2015


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission