Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Theatres in Western Australia

The first purpose-built theatre was St Georges Hall located on Hay street, the portico of which is all that remains and is located outside the District Court on Hay Street. The most well-known old theatre still in existence is His Majesty's also on Hay Street, which opened in 1904. Theatre in those days was all live - Opera, Drama, Comedy, Music Recitals and the like. Today the electronic media plays a significant role in delivering mass entertainment


 
 
 

Bridgetown

The Bridgetown Repertory Theatre is located on the northern outskirts of town. Repertory used to be an extremely popular form of entertainment however the advent of television in the late 1950's saw audience numbers dwindle. Patronage has somewhat returned but probably to more of a niche section of society rather than a source of regular family entertainment. Photo - April 2012

 

Bunbury

Adjacent to the old Bunbury rail station is the fairly recently constructed Graham Bricknell Memorial Music Shell. This serves to provide one of the many variations on modern theatre presentations such as music. Photo - April 2013

 

Busselton

The Busselton Repertory Club is located across the road from the old courthouse and police quarters on Queen Street. This old building opened in 1881 was has been used for a variety of purposes. In 1963 it was named the Weld Theatre. Photo - January 2013

 

Claremont

Adjacent to the Old Theatre Lane on Bay View Terrace in Claremont is the Princess Theatre built in 1914. It was used for films and concerts. Old Theatre Lane was created in 1977 and incorporates the old theatre and the Drabbles building. Photo - April 2013

 

Claremont

'Street Theatre' at the Royal Show in the Claremont Show Ground. Photo - September 2010

 

Como

The Cygnet Theatre on Preston Street in Como. Originally called the Como Theatre, this building was opened in 1938. It is on the state heritage register. This is one of the few original suburban theatres still operating as a movie-house. Photo - October 2012

 

Dalkeith

This used to the Village Cinema on Waratah Avenue. When I say "used to be", it doesn't look much like a functioning cinema anymore even though the sign on the front says "Revue". I believe other businesses operate out of this building now. Photo - January 2011

 

Dowerin

Drive-in movies used to be all the go in both the country and around Perth, but most of them have now gone. This one looks like it has seen better days although the screen is still here. I believe this no longer operates. Photo - April 2012

 

Fremantle

The former Princess Theatre on Market Street. Street level businesses now include Kakulas Sisters (fine grocers) and nvmen hairdressing salon. The theatre was built in 1912 and operated as such until 1969. The old theatre seated some 1,850 patrons. Photo - March 2013

 

Fremantle

Princess May Park in Fremantle is the Old Theatre building. Once known as PIFT? Now, FTI (Film and Television Institute), Bohemian Outdoor Theatre runs the cinema. Photo - January 2012

 

Guildford

Behind the Town Hall and facing Meadow Street is the renowned Garrick Theatre. This building was constructed in 1855 as the local Convict Depot Commissariat - a storehouse for convict work parties building roads as far away as York and Toodyay. From 1868 to 1933 is was used as the Guildford Volunteers (army) HQ. Since 1933 the Garrick Theatre has been in occupation. Photo - October 2012

 

Inglewood

The prominent former Civic Theatre on the corner of Beaufort Street and Dundas Road. This was constructed in 1937. Preceeding this, on this site or next door, was the Piccadilly Picture Gardens which was constructed in 1926 but burnt down in 1928. Films ceased being shown in the Civic Theatre in 1962. From 1979 the premises were a night club for a while. Later, Dawson's Motor Cycles occupied the premises. Flight Centre is in here now. Photo - January 2011

 

Innaloo

The Stirling Theatre provides community theatre to the locale. Photo - October 2014

 

Kalamunda

This is the Performing Arts Centre of Kalamunda which is a mirror image of its neighbour, the Agricultural Hall. Photo - February 2011

 

Kellerberrin

This Massingham Street building is mostly boarded up and looks unoccupied. This was formally the Regent Theatre and in the old days movies were shown most nights of the week and it had a picture garden behind with deck chairs for the summer. Concerts, balls etc were also held here. Photo - June 2011

 

Kingsley

Right up the northern end of Goollelal Drive in Kingsley is this structure which many younger people might not even recognize. It is the Galaxy Drive-In theatre. This is the very last functioning drive-in in Perth. Housing abuts the theatre land right up to the perimeter fences. Photo - December 2010

 

Koorda

The Koorda Drive-In is alive and well. It boasts being home to W.A.'s oldest operating projection system. Photo - April 2012

 

Leederville

On a corner of Oxford and Vincent Streets in Leederville is The New Oxford Theatre building now featuring the Luna Cinema. The New Oxford Theatre opened in 1927 and was then used for musical comedies, vaudeville acts, plays, and the screening of silent movies. Photo - May 2013

 

Mandurah

The Boardwalk at the front of the Performing Arts Centre in Mandurah. The centre was opened in 1997 and amongst other facilities, contains two theatres - the Boardwalk and the Fishtrap. Photo - September 2012

 

Merredin

The Cummins Theatre established in 1928 on Bates Street. This was first built in Coolgardie in 1897. It was dismantled, shipped to Merredin and then reassembled. When in Coolgardie, it was known as the Tivoli Theatre. Photo - March 2015

 

Mount Lawley

The Astor Theatre on Beaufort Street is still a functioning venue although it has been closed a number of times during its history (particularly recent history) and at one time even faced demolition. The theatre was built in 1914-1915 and was then known as the Lyceum Theatre. Photo - June 2008

 

Mukinbudin

On the north side of town is this drive-in theatre. It looks to be in fairly good repair but does not seem to be in use any longer. This picture was taken very soon after dawn. Photo - March 2015

 

Nedlands

The Windsor Theatre on Stirling Highway in Nedlands was built in 1937. It suffered fire damage in the 1970's and was closed in 1983 but re-opened in 1988. In 2005 the theatre became part of the Luna-Palace group. Photo - February 2010

 

Northam

There is a very attractive park on the town side of the river and in it is this Sound Shell and a few statues two of which are visible here. The Sound Shell was built by the Shire of Northam and was opened on 19th November 2011 by Mr Darren West, Chairman of the Wheatbelt Development Commission. Photo - October 2012

 

Pemberton

On Ellis Street is the Old Picture Theatre, now holiday apartments. This was constructed in 1932 by Mr Allan Jones. Mr Jones came from Busselton and operated a travelling picture show business. Apparently pictures were formerly screened in the Mill Hall but Mr Jones fell out with the owners due to frequent cancellations of his shows so he went out and built his own venue which he called Adya Hall. Photo - October 2014

 

Perth

This grand old theatre dominates the streetscape down here on Hay Street west. It was built in 1904, and at the time was the largest theatre in Australia seating 2,500 people. Photo - April 2013

 

Perth

The new District Court was built on the original site of St Georges Hall. All that remains of the Hall now is this portico. St Georges Hall was opened in 1879. It was the first purpose-built theatre in Perth. Photo - April 2013

 

Perth

The purpose built Perth Concert Hall on St Georges Terrace east. The Hall opened in 1973 and its superior acoustics lends itself to critical performing arts such as orchestral recitals, ballet, opera and the like. The centre is also used for conventions, graduation ceremonies etc. Photo - April 2013

 

Perth

The Channel 7 Edgley Entertainment Centre on Wellington Street opened in 1974. Seating over 8,000 patrons, the centre was constructed to cater for large stage shows and music concerts. The centre closed in 2002 and was eventually demolished in 2011. Photo - March 2008

 

Roleystone

The Roleystone Theatre on Brookton Highway, near the intersection of Croyden Road. The theatre goes all the way back to the 1930's and is a heritage-listed building. Photo - January 2012

 

Rottnest

The Picture Hall building on Rottnest screens movies or an be booked for a private function. Photo - January 2009

 

South Perth

Across the road from the Post Office on Mends Street is the Old Mill Theatre. This was built in 1899 as the local Mechanics Institute. It has a rather varied history as over the years it has also been used as a Road Board Building, a library, a school, the Mends Street Hall, and even a billiards parlour. Photo - March 2014

 

Subiaco

The Regal Theatre on the corner of Hay Street and Rokeby Road is an icon as well-known as Subiaco itself. It was constructed in 1938 as a movie house and was named in honour of King George VI. In 1977 the building was converted to a live theatre venue. Photo - January 2008

 

Toodyay

The local library building has rather a chequered history in terms of occupancy and extensions. Originally constructed around 1908, the building has been used as the Mechanic's Institute, a meeting and reading room and a theatre. At one time, the local Road Board also occupied the building. Photo - October 2013

 

Warwick

Warwick Cinemas complete with restaurants and so on at the west end of the Centro Complex are a popular place for visitors this weekend. Photo - October 2011

 

Wembley

This building is used as a Life Style centre. It's on Cambridge Street on the corner of Station Street. This is the old Wembley Theatre building and the owner used to be a Mr Hatfield. Photo - January 2011


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission