Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Boyup Brook

A medium-sized town located some 269 kms south-east of Perth and 30 kms east of Bridgetown. An important rural centre and home to the Boyup Brook annual country music festival. Boyup Brook is located on the Blackwood River. This area was known as Upper Blackwood in 1896 when the town was first proposed. Boyup became a town in 1900 with the word "Brook" being added in 1909, thus becoming Boyup Brook, to differentiate it from nearby Boyanup


 
 
 
 
 

Boyup Brook - Country Music

Boyup Brook, the Country Music Capital of W.A. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK001

 

Boyup Brook - Road Junction

The intersection of the Donnybrook, Dinninup and Bridgetown roads. That motor garage, in one form or another, has been there for decades. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK002

 

Boyup Brook - Abel Street

A view north-west along the main street, Abel Street. An unusual main street because it is split-leveled. Makes it interesting. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK003

 

Boyup Brook - Hotel

The Boyup Brook Hotel on the corner of Abel and Bridge Streets. The road sign shows just how far away it is from a few places. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK004

 

Boyup Brook - Medical Centre

On the corner of Abel and Bridge Streets in the Boyup Brook Medical Centre. This is the old Commercial Bank of Australia Limited building constructed in 1910. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK005

 

Boyup Brook - Bank of NSW

A sign out the front of the building says that this was Mr Lancaster's butcher's shop/store in the old days. I suspect this was originally the Bank Of New South Wales as it was common practice to include the bank's establishment year on their buildings - which was 1817. The building was erected in 1938. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK006

 

Boyup Brook - Tourist Centre

The Boyup Brook Tourist Centre resides in this old pioneer building. It used to be the Agricultural Hall which was opened on 27th April 1910. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK007

 

Boyup Brook - Town Hall

The Boyup Brook Town Hall built originally to house the local Road Board office. The Foundation Stone was laid by the Chairman of the Upper Blackwood Road Board, P. D. Forrest Esq., on 1st June 1936. In the 1940's it also served as a picture theatre. When the Shire of Upper Blackwood was established in 1960, the Road Board moved elsewhere. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK008

 

Boyup Brook - Anglican Church

Saint Saviour's Anglican Church on Jayes Road, Boyup Brook. It was built in 1913. This is a rear view which looks better than the street view, at least today. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK009

 

Boyup Brook - Museum

On Jayes Road is an extensive museum running across 2-3 buildings. This is one section of the museum. It looks a little like an old school classroom. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK010

 

Boyup Brook - Adventist Church

Further up Jayes Road on the outskirts of town travelling towards Bridgetown is this rather unusually designed (for a church) 'A' frame structure. This is the Seventh Day Adventist Church. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK011

 

Boyup Brook - Post Office

Down on Railway Parade is the Post Office. The building was erected in 1924. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK012

 

Boyup Brook - Railway Station

In the old railways precinct. This is a bright view of the Boyup Brook station platform. There are hints of railway tracks around though some have become buried under the sand and gravel. The line north to Donnybrook has gone. The station was built in 1909. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK013

 

Boyup Brook - Railway Station Goods Shed

Adjacent to the railway station is the old goods shed, still brightly painted and kept in good condition. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK014

 

Boyup Brook - Railway Station Vans

Next to the railway station is this row of goods vans. The railway station itself is now used as Blackwood Community Agriculture Centre and I think these vans are annexed as part of that project. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK015

 

Boyup Brook - Railway Barracks

A little south of the station is the old railway barracks where drivers, firemen and guards would overnight awaiting their return journeys from whence they came. It is looking in excellent condition. There seems to be a cafe of sorts in there. The rooms may be let to backpackers and the like. The barracks were built in 1909, the same year as the station. April 2012. Photos Ref: BYBK016


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission