Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Collie

A major town on the Coalfields Highway, some 60 kms east of Bunbury. It is located on the Collie River whence the town name is derived. Early explorers Dr Alexander Collie and Lt. William Preston discovered the river in 1829. The town was originally called Collie but this conflicted with the railway station of the same name at Roelands. So this Collie became Colliefields in 1898. A year later this was sorted out when both towns adopted their current names


 
 
   
 
 

Collie - All Saints Anglican Church

The Collie All Saints Anglican Church stands out like a beacon because of its elevation. Occupying possibly the highest spot around and overlooking town, its tower is one of the first landmarks you can see from the road when entering town. This was formerly known as St Peter's Anglican Church. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL001

 

Collie - All Saints Anglican Church

Another view of the Anglican Church. The Church Foundation Stone lists Sir Harry Barron as laying it on May 19th, 1915. Sir Harry Barron was the Governor of Western Australia between 1913 and 1917 (before that, he was the Governor of Tasmania for four years). February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL002

 

Collie - Anglican Church Op Shop

On the corner of Venn and Harvey Streets is the Anglican Church Opportunity Shop. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL003

 

Collie - Uniting Church

On Venn Street is the Uniting Church. The Foundation Stone proclaims this as the Collie Methodist Church, opened by Mrs W. Beauglehole and Mrs Baker, on 7th July 1956. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL004

 

Collie - Bilbe's Building

The Bilbe's Building at 115 Throssell Street, established in 1900. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL005

 

Collie - Throssell Street

A view looking west down Throssell Street, taking in a couple of hotels on the south side, plus a few shops. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL006

 

Collie - Crown Hotel

Collie is not unlike other predominantly mining towns and Kalgoorlie immediately springs to mind which has a pub on almost ever corner. Collie doesn't have quite so many, but still it still rates well. This is the Crown Hotel on Throssell Street, constructed in 1913. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL007

 

Collie - Federal Hotel

The Federal Hotel at 47 Throssell Street. This was constructed in 1900. It probably served as an important accommodation resource in the mining hey-day. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL008

 

Collie - Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel at 119 Throssell Street right in the centre of town. This was erected in 1900. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL009

 

Collie - Colliefields Hotel

Towards the east end of Throssell Street is the 1902 Colliefields Hotel closed for business now during renovations. However, it will be open again in the new year, not as a licensed hotel as such, but offering accommodation, a brasserie and gourmet provisions. Photo: February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL010

 

Collie - Bargain Barn

Just behind the Colliefields Hotel is this two-storey brick structure. Currently occupied by the Bargain Barn although I see it is up for lease. In the left part of the building, faintly visible etched into the cement, is "Police and Citizens Youth Club". Photo: March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL011

 

Collie - Bed and Breakfast

And just across the road from the Colliefields Hotel is the Collie River Valley Bed and Breakfast. This has been formerly known as Top of the Hill Guest House and at another time Cassandra Boarding House. It was erected in 1899. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL012

 

Collie - Post Office

Built in 1908 is the former Collie Post Office located at 63 Throssell Street. Looking closely, I see a 'To Lease' sign outside. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL013

 

Collie - Credit Union

This building perhaps really illustrates local industry and the dependence of the local populace upon it. These premises were once a Commonwealth Bank. The building is of 1955 vintage. It is now the Collie Miners Credit Union. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL014

 

Collie - Mine Workers Institute

Another example of the predominance of the coal mining in the area. This is the Mine Workers Institute on east Throssell Street. This was built in 1952 and was previously known as the Collie Miner's Institute. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL015

 

Collie - Dorsett's Corner

On the north side of town, north of the railway line that is, is Jimendy's Cafe. This building itself is called Dorsett's Corner (established 1925). I wonder whether this is related to the Dorsett's of Bunbury whose name is almost synonymous with the motor vehicle trade? February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL016

 

Collie - Coalfields Museum

On the west end of Throssell street is this tiny but impressive Museum building. There are a number of other museum buildings to the rear of this. This was the local Roads Board Office built in 1915. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL017

 

Collie - Railway Station

This is the old Collie Station. It's undergoing some kind of maintenance so I couldn't get near it, back or front. This is "track" side, the platform side. You can see the old overhead bridge, or what is left of it. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL018

 

Collie - Railway Institute

Collie used to be a huge rail head and had many crews stationed here, running trains down to Bunbury and off into the eastern country. Railway Institutes were big time - there is a substantial building in Bunbury as well. It's still here and functioning. The trains now largely carry bulk freight. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL019

 

Collie - Railways Goods Shed

On the north side of the Collie train tracks are the old Good Sheds. They are put in really good use these days. This Sunday is market day. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL020

 

Collie - Railways Goods Shed

Inside the Goods Sheds, and what a credit to whoever looks after them. Just look at this fine old passenger carriage and props. To the left of this (out of picture) is a goods van. Both are accessible so you can go inside and look around. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL021

 

Collie - Club Hotel

Classical Australian country pub lines of the Club Hotel, established in 1908. The Club is on the north side of the railway tracks on Forrest Street. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL022

 

Collie - Premier Hotel

The Premier Hotel occupies a corner of Forrest and Harvey Streets. The hotel dates back to 1901. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL023

 

Collie - Coalandria House

On the north side of town down near the river is the Coalandria House Bed and Breakfast. Apparently this was built during World War II as a meeting place and perhaps boarding house for servicemen and their wives. The upper balcony overlooks Soldier's Park, the Collie War Memorial, and was frequented by war widows who could sit there and take in the sight. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL024

 

Collie - Centenary Park

Next to the river is this park. As the sign says, it's the State Centenary Park. On the other side of the gate it proclaims 'Soldier's Park' so it serves as a double memorial - to the State Centenary in 1929, and also to past conflicts and to the locals who served in them. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL025

 

Collie - Recreation Ground Gates

This stone structure is the gate to the Collie recreation ground. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL026

 

Collie - Leopard Tank

This de-commissioned Leopard Tank was gifted to Collie Cardiff RSL and is on display outside their rooms. The tank weighs 42 tonnes and is 7 metres in length. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL027

 

Collie - Old Police Station

The former police station located towards the eastern end of Throssell Street. This is now occupied by the Collie Art Group. The building was erected around 1926. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL028

 

Collie - Throssell Street Shops

This fine brace of shops sits on the main street. They appear to be vacant at present. They are at 111 Throssell Street and were constructed in 1905. When opened, the ground floor was commercial premises and the upper floor accommodation. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL029

 

Collie - Collie Mail Printing Shop

At 51 Throssell Street is the former Collie Mail Printing Shop. This was built in 1922. At one time Dave Hicks Wood Worker used all or part of the premises. These days Phoenix Glass occupies the shop over on the left while the one on the right is a chiropractic clinic. The middle shops look vacant. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL030

 

Collie - Salvation Army Hall

The Salvation Army Hall on Wittenoom Street. This was erected in 1902. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL031

 

Collie - Catholic Church St Brigids

St Brigids Catholic Church, Collie. This was constructed in 1935. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL032

 

Collie - Princep Street

A view looking north along Princep Street to Throssell Street and beyond. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL033

 

Collie - Cricket Club

There is quite a bit of interest in this cricket match today. Perhaps it is the final as it's time for the season to close. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL034

 

Collie - Steam Locomotives

Back in the early 1970's all the steam locomotives in W.A. were retired and many ended up in Collie. There used to be about 60 of them lined up on several tracks, but most were scrapped. Today I could only see three left. This one is a 'V' class numbered 1215. Behind it is 'W' 948, and behind that is 'F' 452. February 2011. Photos Ref: COLL035

 

Collie - Steam Locomotive V1215

This locomotive has been restored and re-painted and looks in tip-top condition. This 'V' class is of one 24 which were purchased specifically to haul coal from Collie to Perth. Later they were used more widely. These locomotives were in service from 1955 to 1973. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL036

 

Collie - Steam Locomotive W948

As with V1215, W948 has been restored. These engines were in use throughout the West Australian Government Railways networks as large work-horses. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL037

 

Collie - Steam Locomotive Fs452

Fs452 is re-badged and re-engineered F398. In 1942, F398 became trapped in the Swan View tunnel as freight had fallen from a previous train. Smoke and fumes rendered the crew unconscious. The final act of driver Thomas Beer was to place the locomotive in reverse at speed, to get it out of the tunnel. It crashed into boulders at the end of the dead-end siding beyond the western portal of the tunnel specifically built for diverting down-hill runaway trains. Mr Beers perished. The other crew survived. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL038

 

Collie - Locomotive Roundhouse

Collie West station these days is a marshalling yard for freight trains mostly servicing Worsley Alumina. In the old days this was a W.A.G.R railyard. Locomotives were housed and repaired in this roundhouse. Built in the 1950's, it is gradually falling to pieces. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL039

 

Collie - Locomotive Roundhouse

Another view of the old Collie roundhouse, this time viewed from the eastern (town) side. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL040

 

Collie - Station Shed

Inside the Collie West rail complex is this old shed which appears to be in a state of advanced demolition or overhaul. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL041

 

Collie - Griffin Coal Overburden

About 10 kilometres east of Collie on the Darkan Road you can see part of the Griffin Coal mining operations. In the centre of the picture is a mountain of over-burden which is waste material removed to access the coal seams below via open-cut method. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL042

 

Collie - Premier Coal Pit

Around 15 kilometres east of Collie on the Darkan Road at Buckingham, Premier Coal's pits are clearly visible from the road. Coal from here is mainly consumed by Verve Energy in its Muja Power Station. The power station is just a handful of kilometres away and the coal is fed there by conveyor belt. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL043

 

Collie - Premier Coal Pit

Another view of the Premier Coal operation at Buckingham. Machinery is visible as are some haul roads leading in and out of the pit. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL044

 

Collie - Coal Shovel

A retired P&H 2800 Mk II electric shovel sits by the roadside as a tourist attraction. This machine was affectionately known as "LBH" (Light-bulb head), coined by the crew who used to maintain the shovel. This machine is immense. An average height adult would only just clear the top of the caterpillar track. March 2014. Photos Ref: COLL045


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission