Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Coolup

A hamlet between Pinjarra and Waroona and about 100 kms south of Perth. This locality is mainly a pastoral centre and the town has never really grown beyond what is was many years ago. The named Coolup was first used in 1886 and the townsite gazetted in 1899. The main part of the town is set a kilometre or two west of the South Western Highway and is adjacent to the Perth to Bunbury railway line. The name Coolup is of Aboriginal origin


 
 
   
 
 

Coolup - Garage

The old Coolup service station on the South Western Highway. Like just about in all the smaller towns along this road, so many have closed down. December 2010. Photos Ref: CLUP001

 

Coolup - Church

St Mary's Anglican Church in Coolup was built circa 1926 and consecrated in 1933 by Rev. Cecil Wilson, Bishop of Bunbury. Travelling south from Pinjarra, take a right turn off the highway to go down into the Coolup townsite. One of the first buildings to be seen is this church on the right side of the road. December 2010. Photos Ref: CLUP002

 

Coolup - Church

Another view of St Mary's Anglican Church in Coolup. This is showing the face that is not visible from the road. January 2014. Photos Ref: CLUP003

 

Coolup - Road

A view a little bit further on towards the townsite. Nice rural road. Up there in the distance is the Coolup store. December 2010. Photos Ref: CLUP004

 

Coolup - Store

The Coolup Store was (as the building says) established in 1900. The store doubles up as the post office. The store can easily be seen when passing through on the Australind train on the nearby railway but you'd never see it travelling by road unless you took the time to detour into the townsite.  December 2010. Photos Ref: CLUP005

 

Coolup - CWA Hall

The Coolup Country Women's Association (CWA) Hall which is diagonally opposite from the store. This building dates back to 1896 and was erected as a school house. The Coolup school closed in 1933 whence this building was sold to the local Progress Association who in turn donated it to the C.W.A. December 2010. Photos Ref: CLUP006

 

Coolup - Railway Station Sign

The Coolup railway station was demolished over twenty years ago. Fortunately the station sign was rescued and it now adorns the wall above the counter in the store. January 2014. Photos Ref: CLUP007


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission