Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Coorow

Coorow is one of a string of towns which stretch all the way from Moora through to Geraldton on The Midlands Road and the Midland to Walkaway railway line. Coorow is some 265 kilometres north of Perth. This is in the central wheatbelt region and would have been an important railways stopping point back in the days of steam. The town gains its name from a nearby spring seemingly originally called Curro. Coorow was gazetted as a townsite in 1893


 
 
   
 
 

Coorow - Welcome Sign

The rather sturdy roadside sign proclaims that the town of Coorow lies just ahead. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR001

 

Coorow - Main Street

The main street of Coorow which is actually called Main Street. This runs off at ninety degrees from the passing Midlands Road. This is a view looking west, back down towards the highway. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR002

 

Coorow - Butcher Shop

On Main Street is the tiny Martin Bros. butcher's shop. The shop was built in 1954 and the business was established the same year. It was only open on Wednesday afternoon's. The shop ceased trading around 1962. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR003

 

Coorow - Highway Store

On the corner of Main Street and the Midlands Road (formerly Poynton Parade) is what is now the Coorow Museum. A building of substance. It wraps around the corner and continues on up Main Street. This is the former Coorow Highway Store, constructed in 1928. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR004

 

Coorow - Hotel

The Coorow Hotel on Main Street. The hotel was established in 1930. It was once known as Halfway House as it is half way between Perth and Geraldton. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR005

 

Coorow - Shops

Cunninghams and the Eziway store face Main Street. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR006

 

Coorow - Medical Centre

The local medical centre in the centre of town. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR007

 

Coorow - Shire Office

Coorow Shire Offices towards the eastern end of Main Street. Those guy wires in the foreground help support a very tall communications tower. This building was established in 1976. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR008

 

Coorow - RSL Hall

The RSL Memorial Hall. This was constructed in 1954. The building has been used more recently as a pre-primary school centre. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR009

 

Coorow - Hall

The Coorow District Hall, now the Community Resource Centre. This is of 1956 vintage. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR010

 

Coorow - CWA

The local CWA cottage on Main Street, close to the Hall and the Shire offices. This was built in 1951 and was formerly used as an Infant Health Centre. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR011

 

Coorow - Co-Op

The North Midlands Co-Operative Co. Ltd building was opened in 1928. The original manager was Bill Gaunt. In 2013 the building enjoyed restoration. This was earlier known as the Wesfarmers Building. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR012

 

Coorow - All Saints Church

All Saints Anglican and Uniting Church in the Parish of North Midlands. A plaque on the building is inscribed thus: "All Saints Coorow Church. Interdenominational. A.D. 1961". September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR013

 

Coorow - Catholic Church

Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church, looking a little misty in the early morning sun. The Foundation Stone was laid by Most Reverend A. J. Gummer on 13th November, 1955. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR014

 

Coorow - Masonic Hall

The Masonic Hall at the eastern end of town on Main Street. This was built in 1955. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR015

 

Coorow - Rail Yard

Looking along the rail line up to the Coorow freight yard. September 2014. Photos Ref: COOR016


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission