Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | About


Carnamah was the name of a pastoral property established in the area by Mr Duncan Macpherson in the 1860's. A telegraph station was setup nearby in 1873. Macpherson's property was named after Carnamah Spring, the name of which is probably of Aboriginal origin although another theory suggests Gaelic. The town of Carnamah was gazetted in 1913. The district is within the central wheatbelt area. The town is on The Midlands Road, north of Coorow

West to Eneabba  

Carnamah - Welcome Sign

The Grain Man is a sculpture on Macpherson Street and is the work of Robert Hitchcock. "Rock Solid" signifies a rock-solid community. The sculpture was completed in May 2004. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN001


Carnamah - Hotel

The Carnamah Hotel on Macpherson Street. This was built in 1924. Mrs Davies was the first licensee. The upper storey of the building was added during the period 1929 to 1931. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN002


Carnamah - Bank

The former Bank of Australasia premises on Macpherson Street. This was a purpose-built bank and operated from circa 1930. The R&I Bank (later Bankwest) operated here until 1996. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN003


Carnamah - Post Office

Carnamah Post Office 6517 is on the main street, Macpherson Street. This was opened in 1932. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN004


Carnamah - Corner Store

Not a particularly flattering photo of the Corner Store. A tiny store existed on this site from 1915. The present store was built by the Cowderoy family in 1929. The store remains one of the more important retail outlets in town. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN005


Carnamah - Corner Store Post Office

On the side of the Corner Store are these very old private mail boxes and hatch for conducting postal business. The town now has a dedicated post office. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN006


Carnamah - Berrigans

This old store was constructed by Mr Tom Berrigan in 1930 for his commission agency business. He and his family lived in the house at the rear. The premises have been sold a number of times over the years and have been used as a store and accountant's office. These days this is a private residence. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN007


Carnamah - Museum

This building was originally the Don Tearooms and opened in 1926. Over the ensuing decades a number of businesses operated here, including a T.A.B. In 1992, following the closure of the T.A.B., this became the Carnamah Museum. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN008


Carnamah - Paul's Service and Sales

An interesting old structure showing a row of rear add-ons down the laneway. It seems that this business is now closed. This is on Macpherson Street. John Shearer, as the sign says above the door, are farm machinery producers. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN009


Carnamah - Road Sign

Approaching town, this sign post gives a little perspective of the town's location is relation to others. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN010


Carnamah - RSL Hall

Carnamah's RSL Memorial Hall. This was erected in 1955. It is now used as a school pre-primary centre. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN011


Carnamah - Pioneer Bakery

The shop closer in picture was originally the Pioneer Bakery and was erected in 1927. The business closed in 1976. It is now an Arts and Crafts shop. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN012


Carnamah - Uniting Church

Formerly the Presbyterian Church, this building was erected in 1927. The Foundation Stone is inscribed thus: "Carnamah Presbyterian Church Hall. This stone was laid by Rev. Alex Crow on 16th July, 1927". September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN013


Carnamah - Shire Offices

The Shire of Carnamah offices complete with colourful wall and a piece of farming machinery. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN015


Carnamah - Masonic Hall

The former local Masonic Hall. This appears to be now used as some kind of workshop. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN016


Carnamah - Catholic Church

St Andrew's Catholic Church. In Honor of St Andrew, the Church was opened by The Rt Rev James O'Collins on 9th November, 1930. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN017


Carnamah - Anglican Church

The Anglican Church of the Holy Apostles. The Foundation Stone was laid on 20th July 1963. It does not say who laid it. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN018


Carnamah - War Memorial

The War Memorial opposite the old Corner Store. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN019


Carnamah - Paddocks

A look across a wheat field towards the grain handling facilities. September 2014. Photos Ref: CARN020

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission