Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Fairbridge

An historic village 8 kilometres north of Pinjarra pioneered and built by Kingsley Fairbridge (1885-1924). Named after the Founder. Fairbridge Village was built and renovated progressively from 1920 to present day. The village was established to house child immigrants from the U.K. (under various schemes until 1981) and these days Fairbridge continues its work assisting local under-privileged youth through innovative training and education programs


 
 
   
 
 

Fairbridge - Memorial Gates

Entering the Village. Financed by the Old Fairbridgians' Society, the Colonnade was build in 1963 in honour of Fairbridgians who made the ultimate sacrifice during wars. An ANZAC memorial service is held here on the Sunday following ANZAC Day each year.  April 2011. Photos Ref: KFFS001

 

Fairbridge - Exeter Cottage

This photo is Exeter cottage. It was originally constructed in 1921. It was destroyed by fire in 2004 but then faithfully re-built by youth trainees. Behind Exeter is the Fairbridge W.A. Inc administration centre and coffee shop. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS002

 

Fairbridge - Rosa Nobes Cottage

This is a replica of an original single-story cottage and is situated between Exeter and Elizabeth, and adjacent to and connected to the Mandurah Camp Bunkhouse. The construction of this building was partially funded by Old Fairbridge Boy, John Lane, John named it in honour of one of his English pre-emigration foster mothers, whom he described as the only real mother he ever had. Officially opened on 18th December, 2007. July 2008. Photos Ref: KFFS003

 

Fairbridge - Mandurah Camp Bunkhouse

One of the original bunk-houses that was located at Mandurah Camp. This was apparently left sitting on someone's property for years and they eventually contacted Fairbridge and offered the building. The building went through extensive re-fitting through 2006-2007 and has been connected to the replica cottage "Rosa Nobes" by a wooden walkway. It is located behind Exeter. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS004

 

Fairbridge - Store

On entering Fairbridge Village, you'll see Exeter (above) on the right, and the old Store on the left (pictured). The store was constructed in 1921 and extended in 1923. The store was built to provision the children's cottages and as a place for children to spend their pocket money! The store is still in its original condition apart from the recent addition of the red phone box. July 2008. Photos Ref: KFFS005

 

Fairbridge - Butcher's Shop

Construction date unknown but was extended in 1938, the building and adjoining room was the butcher's shop. Now converted into a laundry and storage area. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS006

 

Fairbridge - Dining Room

Construction commenced 1921. The original kitchen was constructed in pise walls and a shingled roof but was later completely demolished. The dining hall section (pictured) which was reconstructed in 1928 had a scullery added in 1938, and the main kitchen was re-built in 1970's. This is where children took most evening meals and also weekday lunches for primary school children. April 2011. Photos Ref: KFFS007

 

Fairbridge - Office

Constructed 1934. This was a purpose build administration office located between the main dining room and Belfast. This building freed up Exeter for staff accommodation. The office provided postal and banking services and housed Farm records and continued as such until the Farm closed in 1981. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS008

 

Fairbridge - Belfast Cottage

After entering the village and passing Exeter, the store, the dining room and office, the first children's cottage seen is this one - Belfast. It is one of the five original cottages constructed in 1921. Apart from a few periods of being empty, all its life it has been a girl's cottage. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS009

 

Fairbridge - Old Fairbridgians Clubhouse

In the old days (under the emigration schemes), as children became young adults they left the care of Fairbridge often to work in farming or domestic situations. The Clubhouse building was completed in 1933 as a sanctuary for Old Fairbridgians who were on holidays, were sick or were between jobs. The building has recently under-gone extension renovations to restore it to its original design. February 2009. Photos Ref: KFFS010

 

Fairbridge - Heath House

Constructed 1928 and named after Colonel Sidney John Heath, Fairbridge Principal from May 1928 to June 1936. This was the original Principal's residence then later became the After-Care Officer's house. In 2005 this building was extensively renovated. The building is located between the Clubhouse and Fairbridge House. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS011

 

Fairbridge - Fairbridge House

Fairbridge House was built under the direction of and by Kingsley Fairbridge himself. The building was completed in 1922 and is built of rammed earth. This building was the home of Fairbridge Principals succeeding Kingsley after his untimely death in 1924, right up until Farm closure in 1981. This is a view of the rear. July 2006. Photos Ref: KFFS012

 

Fairbridge - Church

Fairbridge Village's most iconic building is the Church of the Holy Innocents designed by Sir Herbert Baker and largely funded by Mr Thomas Wall, and on completion was dedicated by the Bishop of Bunbury in 1931. July 2008. Photos Ref: KFFS013

 

Fairbridge - Clive Cottage

This cottage is more or less across the main road from the church. To the right was Warren Hastings Cottage which burnt down in the 1970's. Clive was constructed 1921. It is one of the 5 original cottages and is a two-storey structure used as a girl's cottage. Named after Robert Clive (Baron Clive of Plassey), 18th century British soldier and administrator in India. November 2012. Photos Ref: KFFS014

 

Fairbridge - Shakespeare Cottage

Constructed 1921, another one of the 5 original cottages situated to the left of Clive. The cottage is two-storey, timber-framed and weatherboard. Kingsley Fairbridge and his family lived in Shakespeare until Fairbridge House was built. For a short time Shakespeare was used as a mixed cottage, then became for girls only. Named after The Bard - William Shakespeare. November 2012. Photos Ref: KFFS015

 

Fairbridge - Wolfe Cottage

Wolfe cottage was constructed 1921. Another one of the five original cottages. This two-storey structure was always used as a girl's cottage (1921-1981). It generally housed around 14 girls between the ages of 5 and 16 years. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS016

 

Fairbridge - Raleigh Cottage

Situated between Wolfe and Hudson, Raleigh cottage is single-storey boy's cottage used as such both pre and post war. Constructed in 1923 and named after Sir Walter Raleigh. June 2011. Photos Ref: KFFS017

 

Fairbridge - Hudson Cottage

Another 1923 construction. Single-storey boy's cottage both pre and post war. Originally called 'Henry Hudson' and named after Henry Hudson, 17th century English explorer of Canada. Hudson here is viewed from the south and west sides. Four pines trees once grew in the patch of lawn on the other side of the cottage. A row of 4-5 poplar trees once formed a border with Raleigh. June 2017. Photos Ref: KFFS018

 

Fairbridge - Darwin Cottage

In 2012 Darwin underwent significant renovation to bring it back to its former glory. Constructed 1923. Named after Charles Robert Darwin. It is a single-storey cottage and was occupied by boys both pre and post war. November 2012. Photos Ref: KFFS019

 

Fairbridge - Lawley Cottage

Constructed 1927. Single-storey boy's cottage. Named after Sir Arthur Lawley, Governor of Western Australia, 1901-1902 and long time friend and benefactor to Fairbridge.  The inside of Lawley has been remodeled into several self-contained accommodation units. June 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS020

 

Fairbridge - Saumarez Cottage

Constructed 1935. Splendid structure that sits next to Evelyn on the main road. Named after Lord de Saumarez, a former Chairman and benefactor to Fairbridge. Used to house senior and trainee girls prior to them going out to work. Post war the cottage remained empty due to lack of numbers except for a short period in 1951 when girls moved into Saumarez whilst their own cottages were renovated. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS021

 

Fairbridge - Evelyn Cottage

Another fine example of the Fairbridge architecture is Evelyn Cottage. It was constructed 1935 and named after Evelyn Saumarez, sister of Lord de Saumarez who financed the construction of other Fairbridge buildings - Saumarez Cottage, the Domestic Science Building, and this, Evelyn Cottage. July 2009. Photos Ref: KFFS022

 

Fairbridge - Nightingale

Nightingale is a purpose built hospital constructed in the early 1930's. The resident sister lived here at the rear. The hospital had 2-four bed wards, one for boys and the other for girls. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS023

 

Fairbridge - Newton Cottage

This is a winter view of Newton Cottage - one of three small cottages - taken from the big verandah side of Hudson Cottage. The rain drops add a nice touch. July 2009. Photos Ref: KFFS024

 

Fairbridge - Jenner Cottage

Constructed 1923 and named after Edward Jenner the 18th century British physician. Originally used as a boy's cottage, then post-war for married staff members. This is a small building down near the primary school. Jenner underwent extensive renovations a few years ago. April 2011. Photos Ref: KFFS025

 

Fairbridge - Kitchener Cottage

Constructed 1927. Single-storey cottage for boys both pre and post war. Named after 1st Earl Horatio Herbert Kitchener (of Khartoum) British Field Marshal 18th and 19th centuries. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS026

 

Fairbridge - Cook Cottage

Constructed 1927. Named after Captain James Cook, English navigator and cartographer of the 18th century. Single-storey cottage for boys used as such both pre and post war. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS027

 

Fairbridge - Glasgow Cottage

Constructed 1923. Single-storey boy's cottage during both the pre and post war periods. Named after the Glasgow Rotary Club, benefactors to Fairbridge. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS028

 

Fairbridge - Nelson Cottage

Constructed 1923. Single-storey cottage for boys used as such both pre and post war. Named after Viscount Horatio Nelson, British Admiral. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS029

 

Fairbridge - Livingstone Cottage

Constructed 1927. Named after David Livingstone, Scottish missionary and explorer of Africa. Single-storey cottage use as a boy's cottage pre and post war and then as an infant's residence in the early 1960's. This is a view from near Raleigh. November 2012. Photos Ref: KFFS030

 

Fairbridge - Forrest Cottage

Constructed 1927. Named after Sir John Forrest; explorer, first Premier of Western Australia and federal parliamentarian. Used as a boy's cottage both pre and post war. During the 1990's restoration it was converted into three self-contained flats. July 2011. Photos Ref: KFFS031

 

Fairbridge - Middlemore Cottage

Constructed 1932. Possibly named after Middlemore Homes, which were homes set up in the UK to take in orphaned or homeless children early in the twentieth century. This cottage was used to house older girls pre-war, left vacant post war when numbers were down, and was residence for the House Master and family in the early 1960's. July 2006. Photos Ref: KFFS032

 

Fairbridge - Primary School

The Fairbridge primary school was built progressively between 1922 and 1928. Seven classrooms were originally built. These days about four of the original classrooms remain. Fairbridge W.A. has recently added a few more rooms to cater for their education and training program. July 2009. Photos Ref: KFFS033

 

Fairbridge - Scratton Memorial

Constructed 1935. Named after Sir Arthur Scratton, private benefactor to the Fairbridge Society. The cost of this building was borne by his widow, May Scratton. The building provided accommodation for 32 trainee boys aged 14 years and over. Post war was used by female staff including state school teachers and Old Girls returning due to holidays, ill-health or job loss.  The clock was a gift of Major General Sir Howard Vyse who was Chief of Staff to HRH Duke of Gloucester when visiting Australia. November 2012. Photos Ref: KFFS034

 

Fairbridge - Staff Kitchen

Constructed 1938. Used for all staff meals and also by any Old Fairbridgian who happened to be back, staying on the Farm. The staff library was also housed in the building. July 2006. Photos Ref: KFFS035

 

Fairbridge - Laundry

The first laundry was constructed in the 1920's elsewhere. This structure is a cement and brick building and was erected in 1938. The laundry was used for washing cottage linen and children's clothes, and also as a training centre for girls prior to leaving for their first employment. Lord Nuffield donated five thousand pounds for the construction. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS036

 

Fairbridge - Pump House

Constructed in the 1920's, its purpose was to pump water from the South Dandalup River to provide all domestic water needs including the cottages, the orchard and the vegetable gardens. July 2005. Photos Ref: KFFS037

 

Fairbridge - Farm Buildings

At the farm this is a view looking east taking in the calves shed in the foreground. Behind you can see the oats grinding shed and the barn. July 2009. Photos Ref: KFFS038

 

Fairbridge - Dairy

The old Fairbridge dairy. In the old days they used to milk a fair herd of cows morning and afternoon and provide milk for the 200-odd residents of the farm-school. This building was constructed in 1953. Not long before the farm school closed it was superseded by a brand new dairy. July 2008. Photos Ref: KFFS039

 

Fairbridge - The Hills

A lovely view of the foothills of the Darling Scarp taken from near Fairbridge Village. July 2009. Photos Ref: KFFS040

 

Fairbridge - Old Farm South Pinjarra

The Old Farm site at South Pinjarra occupied by Fairbridge 1913-1920. Although there are a number of seasonal water holes, many disappear during the summer. This one is generally perennial so it's highly probable that this is the swimming hole used by the Fairbridge children at the old Farm. November 2012. Photos Ref: KFFS041

 

Fairbridge - Old Farm South Pinjarra

An old fruit tree. You can see the lake behind and off to the rear right is the stand of old oak trees. These trees would have been planted between 1913-1920. The current owner is proud to own this property and to retain what little of old Fairbridge history that remains. November 2012. Photos Ref: KFFS042


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission