Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Katanning

Katanning is the largest town in the Great Southern Region of Western Australia and serves as a major commercial hub for surrounding districts. It is some 295 kilometres south-east of Perth and is situated on the Great Southern Highway. The Great Southern Railway which runs between York and Albany passes through here. The local station opened in 1889. The town was gazetted in 1898. The name Katanning is of Aboriginal origin but meaning uncertain


 
 
West to Kojonup  
 
 

Katanning - Federal Hotel

The imposing Federal Hotel on Clive Street, also known as Fairclough's Hotel. This was built in 1904. The third floor was added in 1913. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG001

 

Katanning - Federal Hotel

Here is a view of the side and rear of the Federal Hotel. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG002

 

Katanning - Commonwealth Bank

A view looking south-east down Richardson Street. On the left that tall building is the telephone exchange. To the right at the end is the Federal Hotel. Across the road at the other end is the Commonwealth Bank. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG003

 

Katanning - ANZ Bank Building

This grand two-storey building at 93 Clive Street is the former ANZ Bank. Prior to being an ANZ branch, it was the Union Bank. Construction of the original building was completed in 1910. The building has since been modified. It is presently available for lease. December 2016. Photos Ref: KTNG004

 

Katanning - Bank Buildings

The Bank Buildings towards the north-eastern end of the CBD on Clive Street. This was built in 1909 but has never actually housed a bank. The upper floor has been used for accommodation over the years. Retail shops at ground level have been variously used as a bakery, a tailor's shop, and a few different restaurants. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG005

 

Katanning - Post Office

Katanning Post Office 6317 sits on the main street, on the corner of Richardson Street. It was built in 1913. Behind it you can the the telephone exchange building. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG006

 

Katanning - Sports Power

A pair of identical old shops on Clive Street. On the left is Sports Power and to the right is Katanning Mensworld. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG007

 

Katanning - Surf Shop

Still on Clive Street, this 1926 building is premises to High 'N' Dry, Surf and Leisure. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG008

 

Katanning - Former Baptist Church

The former Baptist Church on Carew Street, just off Clive Street. This is now the premises of Hung Wins Chinese Restaurant. As a church it was built and opened in 1900. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG009

 

Katanning - Westpac

On the main street is the classic-looking Westpac Bank building, formerly the Bank of N.S.W. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG010

 

Katanning - Elders

The Elder's red and white paintwork shines in the morning sun. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG011

 

Katanning - Town Hall

The Katanning Town Hall on Austral Terrace. This has been extended and modified over the years. The first Foundation Stone was laid by Hon. F. H. Piesse MLA on January 1st, 1901, the day of Federation. Another was laid by Hon. Frank Wilson MLA, Colonial Treasurer, on May 27th, 1907. Further additions and alterations took place in 1928 and 1979. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG012

 

Katanning - Town Hall

A view looking north-west along Austral Terrace taking in 'Paper N Lace' and the Town Hall. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG013

 

Katanning - Flour Mill

The Premier Roller Floor Mills building is arguably the most dominant in town. This is situated close to the railway lines and on the corner of Austral Terrace and Clive Street West. This was erected and run by the Piesse family in 1891. By the early 1900's the mill provided all of the town's electricity. In 1927 the mill was taken over to become Swan Flour and operated thus until 1970 when flour milling finally ceased. The Katanning Tourist Bureau now operates from here. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG014

 

Katanning - Piesse Building

A view along Austral Terrace taking in part of the Flour Mill and then the Piesse Building. Beyond is the Katanning Hotel. The Piesse Building, formerly F. & C. Piesse Store, was erected in 1901. It now contains an arcade and a number of retail shops. December 2016. Photos Ref: KTNG015

 

Katanning - Katanning Hotel

The Katanning Hotel has recently been renovated. The hotel was erected in 1898 and has been known as the Katanning Unit Hotel. December 2016. Photos Ref: KTNG016

 

Katanning - King George Hostel

This building is currently home to Zanyacs Gift Shop. It is on the corner of Albion Street and Austral Terrace. It was built in 1910 as the King George Hostel thus, unlike an hotel, it had retail shops at ground level instead of bars. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG017

 

Katanning - Royal Exchange Hotel

The Royal Exchange Hotel on Austral Terrace is opposite the railway station and was once known as the Railway Hotel. It was built in 1889. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG018

 

Katanning - Kianga House

Kianga House home to RadioWest 94.9, Disability Services Commission and Ashleigh Renea Hair and Beauty. This is at 121 Clive Street. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG019

 

Katanning - Stock and Trading Company

This pair of buildings is on Austral Terrace. To the left, at number 64, is the premises of Taylor Nott & Molinari, Barristers and Solicitors. In the centre is The Katanning Stock and Trading Company. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG020

 

Katanning - Silver Band

The Katanning Silver Band Hall was constructed in 1926. It was moved to its current location here on Richardson Street in 1986. It was previously on Amherst Street. The building to the left looks like an old school room. Silver Band is all about making good music. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG021

 

Katanning - Museum

Here is the premises of the Katanning Historical Society. The Society was formed in 1937. This was originally the Katanning school and was built in 1899. It is located on Richardson Street. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG022

 

Katanning - Anglican Church

St Andrew's Anglican Church, Katanning. The Foundation Stone was laid by Mrs F. H. Piesse on June 25th, 1898. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG023

 

Katanning - Anglican Church Hall

St Andrew's Church Hall. The Foundation Stone was laid by Hon. F. H. Piesse on March 27th, 1911. This is located next to the church. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG024

 

Katanning - Lutheran Church Old

The earlier St Stephen's Lutheran Church now used as the church hall. The Foundation Stone was laid on January 31st, 1926. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG025

 

Katanning - Lutheran Church New

St Stephen's Lutheran Church. The Foundation Stone is inscribed: "To the Glory of God. May 31st, 1964". April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG026

 

Katanning - Evangelical Church

The Aboriginal Evangelical Church, formerly known as Noongar Christian fellowship, was established in 1974. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG027

 

Katanning - Uniting Church

The Uniting Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by Right Rev. H. C. Matthew on October 19th, 1906. This church was the Scots Church from 1906 to 1926. In became the Presbyterian Church in 1926 and remained so until the Uniting Church was formed in 1977. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG028

 

Katanning - Salvation Army

This Salvation Army Citadel is on Richardson Street. It was constructed in 1926. Due to declining membership and increasing expenses, the Citadel ceased operating in 2004. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG029

 

Katanning - Railway Station

Katanning railway station, once a major stopping point on the Perth (via York) to Albany railway line. This is on the Great Southern Railway and the station was erected in 1889. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG030

 

Katanning - Rail Yard

Looking south-east down the railway lines across the yard. The station is that building you can see over yonder. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG031

 

Katanning - Rail Yard

Another look south-east down the track across the Clive Street level crossing. This line leads to Albany. The tracks gleam with continual use. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG032

 

Katanning - Miniature Railway

This building in the Katanning Miniature Railway attraction is the old Kendenup station which was relocated to here. April 2015. Photos Ref: KTNG033


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission