Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Kirup

A small community on the South Western Highway, 16 kms south of Donnybrook and 228 kms south of Perth. The original rail siding here was named Upper Capel when it opened in 1898. As the area was heavily forested, timber harvesting soon started and a sawmill was constructed by a Mr G. Baxter. In 1910 the government sub-divided the townsite and in 1901 the town was proclaimed, then with the spelling Kirupp. The second 'P' was dropped in 1931


 
 
   
 
 

Kirup - Tavern

The Kirup Tavern on the South Western Highway. The hotel was established in 1905 and was then known as the Kirup Hotel. Mr H. Doyle built the hotel, and in many years gone by it used to provide refreshments for people on passenger trains at the railway station. The hotel staff took the food and drinks across to the station platform. April 2011. Photos Ref: KRUP001

 

Kirup - Lodge Cafe

The Kirup Lodge Cafe on the South Western Highway. Good classic country building lines. April 2012. Photos Ref: KRUP002

 

Kirup - Newy's Vegie Shop

Newy's Vegie Patch selling fresh product ranges. The business looks very attractive and seemed to be doing a reasonable trade today. April 2012. Photos Ref: KRUP003

 

Kirup - Old Shop

Another shop in Kirup but its fortunes are not as bright as some. This one is all closed up. It might now be a private residence or simply vacant. 50-odd years ago this was the town's butcher's shop. April 2010. Photos Ref: KRUP004

 

Kirup - Railway

The Bunbury - Donnybrook rail passes through Kirup. The rails are pretty rusty now so no more rail traffic. All that is left of Kirup station is that little mound up away in the distance. April 2012. Photos Ref: KRUP005

 

Kirup - Hall

The Kirup Hall looks sparkling in the afternoon light. April 2012. Photos Ref: KRUP006


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission