Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Konnongorring

A tiny locality situated on the Northam-Pithara Road, almost half way between Wongan Hills and Goomalling. Now it mostly serves as a grain storage and shipping port for local producers. The settlement is some 160 kms north of Perth. This was the first siding on the Goomalling - Wongan Hills railway. The name is derived from the nearby Konnongorring Soak and is of Aboriginal origin. The townsite was finally gazetted in 1962


 
 
   
 
 

Konnongorring - Road Sign

The road sign proclaims the locality of Konnongorring. In the distance you can glimpse part of the grain handling terminal and some buildings. The townsite is also on the narrow gauge railway which stretches all the way up to Mullewa. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG001

 

Konnongorring - Hall

The town boasts quite a large hall no doubt used for functions by surrounding farming families as I only saw a single house in the townsite. This was erected in 1913. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG002

 

Konnongorring - Volunteer Fire Brigade

Behind the Hall is the modern and smart-looking Volunteer Fire Brigade building. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG003

 

Konnongorring - Old School Site

Konnongorring used to have its own school. This was the school site from 1924 to 1973. The school buildings are now located in the Goomalling Museum complex. Years gone by, the Goomalling Road Board was anxious to have the town formally gazetted so it then had the authority to restrict traffic passing the school to 35 MPH. Apparently there used to be a store right next door to this site but nothing of that remains today. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG004

 

Konnongorring - Old School

This is the original 1906 Konnongorring school. The school closed in 1973 and the building was moved to the Goomalling Museum about 5 years later. The school was a single teacher, single classroom school. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG005

 

Konnongorring - Anglican and Uniting Church

The United and Anglican Christ Church sits by the highway. Rather a modern-looking building suggests it was built in the last 20-30 years. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG006

 

Konnongorring - Catholic Church

On the south site of town is this old Catholic Church which does not look like it is currently in use. The Foundation Stone was laid by the Lord Abbott of New Norcia (The Right Rev. Anselm Catalan) on 28th July, 1929. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG007

 

Konnongorring - Wheat Fields

Bountiful, green wheat fields stretch to the horizon and far beyond. October 2011. Photos Ref: KNNG008


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission