Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | About

Wongan Hills

A major town on the Northam-Pithara road, some 182 kilometres north-east of Perth, in the northern agricultural region. This thriving town supports the surrounding districts commercially and socially. Land was first set aside for this township in 1907 although this was near Lake Hinds. Settlers wanted the townsite on the railway line some 16 kms east and this eventuated. The town was gazetted in 1911. The town bears the name of the nearby range

West to Piawaning  

Wongan Hills - Railway Station

The railway line reached Wongan Hills in 1911. The original station was established in 1913 but this was located on the other side of the tracks and later proved to be inadequate. The pictured station building was opened on November 27, 1965 by Charles Court, Minister for Industrial Development. The station closed on September 30, 1985. There is a tourist centre inside now. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG001


Wongan Hills - Railways Good Shed

Across the railway tracks from the station is this old goods shed which has been decorated with a mural depicting freight and a locomotive of yesteryear. This was built in 1914. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG002


Wongan Hills - Railways Water Tower

Part of the railyards. Steam locomotives took on water and coal here. The 1914 water tower looks dark and forbidding, contrasting with the white of the sign and blue of the sky. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG003


Wongan Hills - Railways Barracks

The railway barracks have been preserved. Wongan Hills was a major train crew swapping point and drivers, firemen and guards would overnight here and then work a train back to their originating depot the next day. Construction of the barracks commenced in 1914. They have also been known as The Trainmen's Barracks and also The Enginemen's Barracks. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG004


Wongan Hills - Station Master's House

On the main road next to Dunnings Service Station is this solid looking old house, seemingly unoccupied now. This is the former railway Station Master's house built in 1915. The first Station Master was Mr H. Dinsdale. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG005


Wongan Hills - Post Office

Post Office Wongan Hills set one street back from Fenton Place. This building was erected in 1959, replacing the former premises on Wilson Street. In the early days, postal facilities were provided in one of Mr Roger's stores. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG006


Wongan Hills - Newsagency

In the main shopping area on Fenton Place is the Wongan Newsagency. This building dates back to 1911. Over the years the premises have housed at various times, tearooms, a bakehouse, a grocer store and a drapery. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG007


Wongan Hills - Civic Hotel

On Fenton Place is Wongan Hills Civic Hotel. The hotel construction was completed in 1940 and designed so that it could be converted into a war-time hospital if the need arose. The Hotel was originally called the State Hotel. An earlier State Hotel was built in town in 1914. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG008


Wongan Hills - Farmers Shop

Again on Fenton Place, this is the Farmers Shop. The main entrance is off to the right side in the picture, a little around the corner. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG009


Wongan Hills - Kanyanya Store

Kanyanya Store for clothing, bric-a-brac etc is set in this row with the two houses on the right. The store was erected in 1911 and was then known as Roger's Shop and was owned and operated by Mr E. J. Rogers. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG010


Wongan Hills - High School

This is the front wing of the 1953 Wongan Hills District High School. The school's history commenced in 1913 when, as a primary school, the student population was a mere 31. Over the ensuing decades the school has expanded with many buildings being added, facilities and curricula widened, and of course student numbers significantly increasing. The school became a Junior High School in 1958. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG011


Wongan Hills - Former Hospital

This building houses the Wongan-Ballidu Museum. The building was originally constructed as the town's hospital. The Government of the day in (1930's and prior) rejected the town's plea for a hospital on the grounds that there was one in Dalwallinu. Dr Stenning was instrumental in raising funds to have this built independently of Government. The hospital was eventually built in 1930. It was extended in 1937. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG012


Wongan Hills - Dr Stenning Pioneer Doctor's House

Dr Stenning, the pioneer on the original local hospital, had this house as his residence. The house was built in 1920. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG013


Wongan Hills - Back Streets

This photograph depicts a back-streets scene in Wongan Hills. The roads all around here are very wide. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG014


Wongan Hills - Masonic Lodge

Constructed in 1928, this is what once was the local Masonic Lodge. It operated as such until around 2003 when the Lodge amalgamated with Dowerin. The Apex Club how occupies the hall. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG015


Wongan Hills - St Peter's Anglican Church

St Peter's Anglican Church, Wongan Hills. The Foundation Stone (now mostly now obscured by a ramp) was laid the Archdeacon C.L. Riley on February 7th, 1932. Archdeacon Riley, the son of former Archbishop C.O.L. Riley, went on to become Archbishop of Bendigo. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG016


Wongan Hills - Mount O'Brien

Mount O'Brien is in the Wongan Hills group a few kilometres west of the town. The hill sports various communications equipment atop. A public road has been constructed to allow vehicular access to the summit to take in the views. The lookout was opened on October 27, 2001 by the Hon. Wilson Tuckey, Federal Member for O'Connor. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG017


Wongan Hills - Lake Hinds

This is a view west from the summit of Mount O'Brien. Looking across the farming paddocks you get a really good view of Lake Hinds which would be 5-6 kilometers away at its nearest point. October 2011. Photos Ref: WONG018

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission