Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Nanson

The town of Nanson is located on the Chapman Valley Road, on the banks of the Chapman River, north and slightly east of Geraldton. The Upper Chapman railway came through here in 1910 and at that time the local siding was called Lauder Siding. Locals wanted the named changed to Nansonville. In 1910 the town was gazetted as Nanson, named after their local MP John Nanson. The railway siding was re-named Mount Erin in 1912 then Nanson in 1915


 
 
   
 
 

Nanson - Catholic Church

Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, Nanson. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Most Rev. James P. O'Collins, Bishop of Geraldton, on January 29th, 1939. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS001

 

Nanson - Road Board Office

The Chapman Valley Road Board Office as seen from the road. This opened in 1913 and closed in 1964 when the Shire of Chapman Valley was constituted. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS002

 

Nanson - Road Board Office

The rear of the Road Board Office. This building was used as a C.W.A. meeting place between 1964 and 1974. Recently restored, it is now the headquarters of the Chapman Valley Historical Society. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS003

 

Nanson - Ted Porter Cottage

Behind and adjacent to the Road Board Office is the Historical Society's Museum. This is Ted Porter's cottage. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS004

 

Nanson - Chapman Valley Road

A view looking west along Chapman Valley Road taking in the Road Board Office and houses beyond. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS005

 

Nanson - Ruins

Alongside the main road are ruins of what appears to have been once a cottage. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS006

 

Nanson - Museum Rail Wagons

In the Historical Society's museum are these rail wagons. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS007

 

Nanson - Anglican Church

St Luke's Anglican Church, Nanson. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Right Rev. J. Frewer, Bishop of North West Australia, on February 3rd, 1952. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS008

 

Nanson - Nukara Sign

Nukara is just slightly south west of Nanson and just off the Chapman Valley Road. Once just a farm, this property has been re-modelled to cater for events, festivals, camps and corporate functions. The annual Nukara Music festival is held on the here. This echidna is across the road from the farm entrance. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS008

 

Nanson - Nukara Entrance

The main entrance to Nukara. The property is owned and operated by the Blakeway family. December 2015. Photos Ref: NANS009


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission