Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Geraldton

After Bunbury, Geraldton is the most populous city outside of Perth in Western Australia. The city is located approx 430 kilometres north of Perth. The district is famous for the history of the mutiny and wreck of the Dutch ship Batavia in 1629. This occurred on the nearby Abrolohos Islands. In 1848, explorer Augustus Gregory and his party discovered lead in the Murchison River and named this the Geraldine Mine, from such the name Geraldton was coined


 
 
   
 
 

Geraldton - Courthouse

The magnificent Geraldton Courthouse is located on the eastern part of Marine Terrace, on the corner of Forrest Street. The building was opened in October 1897. An earlier wooden courthouse existed near Gregory Street which was built 1863 but very soon outgrew its usefulness. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN001

 

Geraldton - Courthouse

The rear of the courthouse viewed from Forrest Street is bathed in the early post-dawn sunlight. The Pensioner Barracks existed on this site before the courthouse was built. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN002

 

Geraldton - Art Gallery

Any city would be proud to own this Art Gallery building which opened as such in 1984. From 1907 to 1981 this was the Geraldton Town Hall. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN003

 

Geraldton - Second Railway Station

The front section of the second Geraldton railway station facing Chapman Road. The station was opened in 1894 which coincided with the closure of the first railway station. The earlier station was located further west along Marine Terrace. 1894 was also the year the Midland railway was extended from Walkaway to Geraldton. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN004

 

Geraldton - Second Railway Station

The railway station looking from track side. The area where the marshalling yards were (in the foreground) has never been re-developed. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN005

 

Geraldton - Second Railway Station

The central section of the railway station on the track side. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN006

 

Geraldton - Foreshore Business Centre

Viewed from the old railway station across the area where the rail yards once existed is the Foreshore Business Centre. This, of course, is on the foreshore. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN007

 

Geraldton - Old Shops

Across the road from the railway station on Chapman Road are these couple of old shops which might have seen better times. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN008

 

Geraldton - Clarks Building

On Chapman Road is the colourful Clarks Building, constructed circa 1900's, and now housing One Stop Electronics. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN009

 

Geraldton - Marine Terrace

A look west down Marine Terrace with a section of the Freemasons Hotel on the left. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN010

 

Geraldton - Freemasons Hotel

The Freemasons Hotel on the corner of Marine Terrace and Durlacher Street. The first Freemason's Hotel was erected on this site in 1880. The current structure is of around 1896 vintage. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN011

 

Geraldton - Geraldton Club Building

On Marine Terrace is the Geraldton Club Building. The Foundation Stone was laid by H.H. Du Boulay Esq. J.P. on 24th December 1912. Construction was completed in 1913. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN012

 

Geraldton - Iles Building

Next to the Geraldton Club is the Iles Building. Grantown Guest House appears to occupy the upper floor. The building was constructed circa 1900's. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN013

 

Geraldton - Community Gallery

A colourful, un-named, blue building on Marine Terrace might have been an hotel in days gone by. This is 33 Marine Terrace and home to the Arts and Cultural Development Council. At some bygone time, a Geraldton-Greenough Regional Library occupied the premises. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN014

 

Geraldton - Mercantile Club

At 159 Marine Terrace is the Mercantile Club Inc. Both the club and the building appear to pre-date 1901. Records show that the building was constructed circa 1900. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN015

 

Geraldton - Stokes Coffee Palace

The old Stokes Geraldton Coffee Palace building now occupied by a variety of small businesses. The building was erected in 1914. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN016

 

Geraldton - Union Bank Building

The former Union Bank building on Marine Terrace, constructed in 1885. Later the premises of the ANZ Bank. The State Housing Commission moved here in 1973. The building underwent extensive refurbishment in 1998. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN017

 

Geraldton - Victoria Hotel

The former Victoria Hotel. Apparently the building was erected in 1872 but has been extensively altered over subsequent years. These premises appear to be unoccupied at present. Until recently it was known as the Blue Healer's Tavern. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN018

 

Geraldton - Wittenoom Buildings

The Wittenoom Buildings were built for Mr E. H. Wittenoom in 1892. Dalgety & Co. occupied the building from later on in the 1890's. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN019

 

Geraldton - Geraldton Beach Hotel

Towards the western end of the CBD is the Geraldton Beach Hotel sporting an attractive two-tone blue exterior. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN020

 

Geraldton - Geraldton Hotel

Also in the western CBD area is the Geraldton Hotel. Inside is a TAB. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN021

 

Geraldton - Potter's House

The Lemon Grass Thai Restaurant on the corner of Marine Terrace and Fitzgerald Street. The old Union Bank is next door. This was originally the Radio Theatre and Motor Garage and is now known as Potter's House. It was built in 1937. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN022

 

Geraldton - First Railway Station

This is the first Geraldton railway station built in 1878 and very recently renovated. The second station is at the eastern end of the CBD. When the pictured station was operational, trains would travel through the centre of town, down Marine Terrace. After this station was closed the building was used as the Mechanics Institute. Since 1973 this has been used as a Maritime Museum. This is on Marine Terrace, opposite Gregory Street. December 2015. Photos Ref: GRTN023

 

Geraldton - Town Towers

A more recent structure than many surrounding it is the Town Towers. It is in the centre of the CBD and is currently undergoing refurbishment. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN024

 

Geraldton - St John's Church

St John's Uniting Church (formerly Presbyterian) on Lester Avenue. The Foundation Stone was laid by Mrs McK. Grant on 26th July 1893. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN025

 

Geraldton - Barracks Apartments

The Barracks on Lester Avenue. A recent structure which opened in 2008. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN026

 

Geraldton - Camel Bar

The Camel Bar on Chapman Road opened as such in 2005 but the building looks much older. The Bar features a top class restaurant and the whole place is adorned with ... camels. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN027

 

Geraldton - Marine Terrace

Looking west along Marine Terrace from near the first railway station. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN028

 

Geraldton - Ocean Centre Hotel

The Ocean Centre Hotel. Formerly on this site was the Club Hotel (constructed 1880's). September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN029

 

Geraldton - RSL Birdwood House

The RSL Birdwood House on Chapman Road. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN030

 

Geraldton - Army Reserve

The Army Reserve recruitment centre on Chapman Road. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN031

 

Geraldton - St Francis Xavier Cathedral

This Cathedral is probably one of Geraldton's most prominent landmarks. St Francis Xavier Geraldton was consecrated by the Rev. Barry James Hickey on 30th August 1988. This is on Cathedral Avenue (formerly called Elwes Avenue). September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN032

 

Geraldton - Anglican Cathedral

The Anglican Cathedral of the Holy Cross. This is on Cathedral Avenue. It is in the Anglican Diocese of North West Australia and was constructed in 1964. December 2015. Photos Ref: GRTN033

 

Geraldton - Victoria Hospital

This is the former Victoria Hospital facing Chapman Road. This was constructed in 1887. This building (and those behind it) now house various businesses and still includes some medical practices. December 2015. Photos Ref: GRTN034

 

Geraldton - Old Gaol

The old Gaol on Chapman Road. This was built in 1858. It now houses a craft centre. December 2015. Photos Ref: GRTN035

 

Geraldton - Masonic Hall

On Augustus Street is the Mason's Lodge No.3 W.A.C. This is also used by other Masonic Lodges such as Mullewa No. 105, and Champion Bay No. 130. The lodge was built in 1892. December 2015. Photos Ref: GRTN036

 

Geraldton - School

On Fitzgerald Street is the Geraldton Primary School. Construction commenced in 1878. This has also been once used as the Geraldton District High School. December 2015. Photos Ref: GRTN037

 

Geraldton - Old Church on Shenton Street

On Shenton Street is this former church which is now a private residence and at this time it is up for sale. December 2015. Photos Ref: GRTN038

 

Geraldton - Sydney Memorial

Atop Mount Scott overlooking the city is the HMAS Sydney Memorial. It is made up of The Dome of Souls (9 metres high), and The Stele (the vertical structure resembling standing stones). On 20th October 1941, the HMAS Sydney was located in the Sundra Straits where it encountered and engaged in battle with the German ship HSK Kormoran. Both ships were lost. All 645 men aboard the Sydney perished. This memorial was completed in 2008. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN039

 

Geraldton - Sydney Memorial

At the HMAS Sydney Memorial is this statue of a waiting woman, looking out to sea in vain, praying for the safe return of the Sydney. She symbolises the grief of all the wives, mothers and girlfriends of the 645 crew on the Sydney who never returned. The name of every crew member is etched in stone here. Visiting this site is a humbling experience. It is an amazing museum and memorial. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN040

 

Geraldton - View from Mount Scott

A view from the HMAS Sydney Memorial site on Mount Scott. You can see the rear of the courthouse in the centre. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN041

 

Geraldton - View from Mount Scott

Another view from the HMAS Sydney Memorial site. This overlooks the main CBD and extends over to the port. You can see the Town Towers and the Art Gallery. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN042

 

Geraldton - View from Mount Scott

Another look over the town of Geraldton featuring the port facilities. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN043

 

Geraldton - View from Mount Scott

A final view from the Memorial site looking out to sea across the rooftops. Centre of picture is the second Geraldton railway station. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN044

 

Geraldton - Yellow Submarine

The Yellow Submarine sits alongside Marine Terrace and the port. This was built by the Kailis Fishing Group with the idea of testing the feasibility of farming green crayfish. The submarine was launched in 1969 but due to technical problems it never became operational. Max Cramer made the vessel available to the city and it was restored in 2008. It is 8.4 metres long, 3 metres high and has a beam of 1.1 metres. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN045

 

Geraldton - Boat Ramp

This is the Francis Street boat ramp adjacent to the eastern side of the port. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN046

 

Geraldton - Port

A dawn view of the port from along the Town Beach. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN047

 

Geraldton - Yacht Club

On the waterfront is the old section of the Geraldton Yacht Club. This building was constructed in 1932. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN048

 

Geraldton - Yacht Club

Right next door to the 1932 building is this later addition to the Yacht Club. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN049

 

Geraldton - Harbour Master's Cottage

Here is the former Harbour Master's Cottage on Marine Terrace west, believed to be one of the oldest surviving buildings in town. The cottage appears on a 1858 plan of the area. The building is still owned by the Geraldton Port Authority. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN050

 

Geraldton - Seafarers Mission

Opposite the Harbour Master's Cottage is the Mission to Seafarers. This was constructed circa 1860 and was the first permanent school building in Geraldton. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN051

 

Geraldton - Point Moore Sea Rescue

At Point Moore, west of town, is the Point Moore Sea Rescue HQ. The ocean at the back was popular with people fishing from the beach on this day. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN052

 

Geraldton - Lighthouse

The Point Moore lighthouse was commissioned in 1879. This has an elevation of 35 metres and can be seen 23 nautical miles out to sea. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN053

 

Geraldton - Lighthouse

The Point Moore lighthouse eclipses the early morning sun. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRTN054


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission