Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | About

North Fremantle

North Fremantle is a descriptive term used to name the area north of Fremantle Harbour and traffic bridge and south of Mosman Park. Although land was for sale in the area as far back as 1856, the area didn't really start to seriously develop until the railway came through in 1881. The ocean face of North Fremantle has changed considerably in the last couple of decades through land reclamation and the development of the Rous Head Harbour and surrounds


North Fremantle - Allied Mills

Allied Mills (since 1986), formerly the Great Southern Roller Flour Mill on Stirling Highway. The factory was opened on March 28, 1922 by Sir Francis Newdegate, Governor. The silo was added in 1936 and the dingo joined it in 1940. The dingo was painted over during the war so it would not attract unwelcome attention. The dingo was restored in 1946. The mill is often referred to as the Dingo Flour Mill for obvious reasons. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR001


North Fremantle - Stirling Highway Old Building

A good example of Fremantle sandstone architecture at 96 Stirling Highway, just 500 metres or so south of the Dingo Flour Mill. The building was erected in 1942 by Army Trainees as a Public Works Office for the United States Navy. It was later part of the North Fremantle Infants School. A stone on the front of the building credits W.H. Kitson M.L.C., Minister for Education with the opening but the date has been totally eroded away. These days the building is occupied by Austral Pacific Exports. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR002


North Fremantle - Second Hand Shop

A second-hand shop on Jewel Street looks colourful. Nice merchandise inside and those chairs outside look comfortable. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR003


North Fremantle - Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel on Stirling Highway, just a bit north of the Fremantle traffic bridge, was built in 1922. In the 1880's an hotel was erected on this site but it burnt down in the early 1920's which lead to the construction of this, the current building. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR004


North Fremantle - Swan Hotel

Here is the southern side of the Swan Hotel. The hotel underwent alterations in 1965, 1971 and again in 1980. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR005


North Fremantle - Town Hall

The former North Fremantle Town Hall on the east side of Queen Victoria Street. The Foundation Stone was laid by W. H. James Esq., Premier, on September 3, 1902. Now the premises of Matildas Antique Centre. December 2010. Photos Ref: NRFR006


North Fremantle - Maritime Worker's Union

On the east of Stirling Highway is this building. The Maritime Worker's Union (MWU) building, looks nice in a pale winter sun. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR007


North Fremantle - Churchill Antiques

The Churchill Antiques building is at 229 Queen Victoria St (which used to be Stirling Highway). This building commenced construction in 1904 as a Wesleyan Church. December 2014. Photos Ref: NRFR008


North Fremantle - Post Office

The North Fremantle post office is close to the corner of Queen Victoria Street and Tydeman Road. It is constructed of sandstone found so typically in many Fremantle buildings. The post office is on the left. To the right are two terraced houses. This complex was built in 1898 as a police station, lockup and police quarters. The police station closed as such in 1969 and that is when the post office moved in. December 2014. Photos Ref: NRFR009


North Fremantle - Mojos

The colourful Mojo's Bar, a popular venue for live music, on Queen Victoria Street. Visible on the right is a section of an old shop terrace which is in the photo below. December 2014. Photos Ref: NRFR010


North Fremantle - Shop Terrace

On the western side on Queen Victoria Street are two sections of terraced shops. This is the more southern of the pair. Both blocks would date back to the 1920's. Current occupants include Trish's Place Antiques, and Flipside. December 2014. Photos Ref: NRFR011


North Fremantle - Shop Terrace

The second set of terraced shop on Queen Victoria Street. This is the more northerly. Current tenants appear to be Wallpaper Wall Candy, Short Black Sheep Restaurant, and Violet Pilot. December 2014. Photos Ref: NRFR012


North Fremantle - Railway Hotel

The Railway Hotel is adjacent to the North Fremantle wharf and the container terminal and container storage areas, big fuel tanks and other port-type facilities. Situated on the corner of Pearse Street and Tydeman Road this hotel has been here since 1894. The street is a bit noisy now with a seemingly endless stream of trucks carrying shipping containers passing by. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR013


North Fremantle - Railway Hotel

This is the Tydeman Road facade of the Railway Hotel. Nice metalwork and bull-nosed verandah. You can even get a haircut in there. June 2008. Photos Ref: NRFR014


North Fremantle - View from East Fremantle

A good view of new riverside properties in North Fremantle taken from across the river in East Fremantle. December 2014. Photos Ref: NRFR015


North Fremantle - Matilda Bay Brewery

On Stirling Highway here is the Matilda Bay Brewery - although by the look of it the building is now for lease. This place was built in 1930 as a factory for the Ford Motor Company. September 2010. Photos Ref: NRFR016


North Fremantle - Leighton Bridge

This bridge connects Stirling Highway with Leighton Beach. It spans the old railway marshalling yards. Virtually all the rail track has gone now, with the exception of the Perth-Fremantle passenger railway lines. The footbridge was erected in 1965. September 2010. Photos Ref: NRFR017


North Fremantle - Leighton Bridge

On the same bridge looking the other way, back towards Stirling Highway. Also under the bridge used to be Leighton railway station. This was closed at about the same time of the demise of the marshalling yards. September 2010. Photos Ref: NRFR018


North Fremantle - Leighton Rail Yards

This building, constructed in 1966, was the control centre for the now defunct Leighton railway marshalling yard. There was once a passenger stop here on the Perth - Fremantle line which operated from 1922 to 1991. Back in the 1880's John and Anne Leighton were the rail gatekeepers who would manually open/close rail crossing gates to allow trains a safe passage over the road which linked what is now Stirling Highway to the former Old Perth Road. This became known as Leighton's Crossing. September 2010. Photos Ref: NRFR019


North Fremantle - Rose Hotel

This rather splendid building is the Rose Hotel. No longer used an hotel anymore, it still sits majestically on Queen Victoria Street. This road used to be Stirling Highway until it was re-routed over the Stirling Bridge back in the 1970's. The hotel was built in 1927 for the Swan Brewery. December 2010. Photos Ref: NRFR020


North Fremantle - Weeties Factory

On Harvest Road is the former Weeties factory. Since 1996 it's been divided up into a number of private accommodation units. The building opened in 1932 and continued to produce grain and breakfast cereal products until 1988. From 1988 until 1996 the building was used at one time as an antiques showroom and another time as a surf wear shop. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR021


North Fremantle - Benningfield

This house at 37 John Street was erected in 1903. In those days, this section of North Fremantle was known as Brucetown. This building was named Benningfield by its original owner, Lewis Benningfield Bateman, a Fremantle merchant. During World War II, the house was used by members of "Fortress Signals Fremantle Anti Aircraft & Fortress Signals Western Area". There is a plaque saying such on a front gate pillar. These days it appears to have reverted to a private home. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR022


North Fremantle - Football Club Rooms

On John Street is the former North Fremantle Recreation Ground which was renamed the Gilbert Fraser Reserve in 1963. The grounds were established in 1898. Gilbert Fraser was a long time member of the Legislative Council. Here are the North Fremantle Football Club rooms. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR023


North Fremantle - Football Club Grandstand

Within the Gilbert Fraser Reserve is this grandstand which overlooks the football oval. This pavilion was constructed in 1901. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR024


North Fremantle - Charlton Gate

One of the entrances to the Gilbert Fraser Reserve. This is the Les Charlton (1885-1952) Memorial Gate. Mr Charlton was a member of the local football team (1912-1915). He formed the North Fremantle Tennis Club in 1921 and later became Mayor of North Fremantle. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR025


North Fremantle - Croatian Catholic Church

St Anne's Roman Catholic Church on the corner of Stirling Highway and Alfred Road. The Foundation Stone was laid by Bishop Matthew Gibney on December 11th, 1909. The Croatian Community purchased the church from the Catholic Church in 1972. At that time, the church was in a state of disrepair. The Croatian Community went on to restore the church to its former glory. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR026


North Fremantle - Croatian Catholic Centre

The Croatian Catholic Centre facing Stirling Highway. This is adjacent to the former St Anne's Church and was once the church presbytery. Construction commenced in 1909. This was apparently used as a Convent School in the 1930's. The Croatian Community took over premises in 1972 at the same time as they did the church. At the rear are modern Community and Youth Centres. The Fremantle Croatian Club was established in 1952. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR027


North Fremantle - School

At 101 Stirling Highway is the former North Fremantle Primary School which was constructed in 1894 then added to over the years. The school was relocated to new premises on John Street in 1967. These premises were subsequently used as Kui Men's Hostel, then later a Bail Hostel for the Ministry of Justice. The buildings have been beautifully restored and are now used as the North Fremantle School of Early Learning. August 2015. Photos Ref: NRFR028


North Fremantle - Former Burford Soap Factory

This building is at what is now 36 Rule Street. It was built in 1905 as W. Burford & Sons Soap and Candle factory. This was the warehouse part. The manufacturing buildings used to be behind but have gone. Soap was made here until 1946. Later this was used for a while as a margarine factory and later still as a warehouse for Hood Sails. The building was acquired and turned into apartments in 1981. December 2017. Photos Ref: NRFR029


North Fremantle - Harbour Channel at Rous Head

Standing on the groyne that forms Rous Head, this is looking across the entrance channel to Fremantle Harbour. The green lighthouse it on the southern Arthur Head. December 2011. Photos Ref: NRFR030


North Fremantle - Rous Head Lighthouse

This is the lighthouse at the end of Rous Head that helps to guide ships through the channel into the Port of Fremantle. December 2011. Photos Ref: NRFR031


North Fremantle - Brigitte Bardotte Trimaran

Slipping out of Fremantle harbour is this trimaran. It is the Brigitte Bardotte and it is part of the Sea Shepherd's anti-whaling armory. The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) was established in 1977 as a protector of ocean wildlife. You can see Garden Island in the background. December 2011. Photos Ref: NRFR032


North Fremantle - North Head Ferry Terminal

North Fremantle harbour area has expanded a lot over the years with much land reclamation from the sea and new harbours, channels, roads and facilities being built. And it is still expanding. Rottnest Island Ferries has a terminal here in addition to that in the port proper. December 2011. Photos Ref: NRFR033


North Fremantle - Floats

A yard of mooring buoys clad with old tyres to project the hulls of vessels they are mooring. December 2011. Photos Ref: NRFR034


North Fremantle - Shipping Containers

In the port area of North Fremantle are stacks and stacks of empty sea-containers. Perhaps these are here because we import more goods than we export. December 2011. Photos Ref: NRFR035


North Fremantle - Lunch Bar

Sitting down near the sea near all the sea containers is this little lunch shop and bait bar. There is a truck waiting area nearby so I'd bet they would do a good trade. December 2011. Photos Ref: NRFR036

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission