Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Nungarin

The town of Nungarin is located at the northern end of what is now known as the Merredin - Nungarin Road. It is about 40 kms north of Merredin and about 20 kms south-east of Kununoppin. The Goomalling to Merredin narrow-gauge rail line passes through town. A rail siding was proposed in 1910. The town was eventually gazetted as such in 1912. The town is named after the nearby Nungarin Rocks. Surveyors earlier recorded the town name as Noongorin


 
 
   
 
 

Nungarin - Road Board

The former Nungarin Road Board Office, 1922 to 1936. The Board was founded in 1921. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG001

 

Nungarin - Primary School

A glimpse down a face of the Nungarin Primary School. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG002

 

Nungarin - Post Office

Nungarin Post Office, 6490. This was built in 1925. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG003

 

Nungarin - Anglican Church

St Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church. This church was consecrated by The Most Reverend R. W. H. Moline on November 16th, 1955. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG004

 

Nungarin - Catholic Church

St Teresa's Catholic Church, Nungarin. There is no outward sign on or around the building stating this name. The Foundation Stone proclaims the church was opened and blessed by the Rt. Rev. Gregory Gomez, Abbot Nullius of New Norcia, on November 21st, 1954. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG005

 

Nungarin - Railway Avenue

A view from near the hotel looking north. The building with a dash of green up top is W.S. Waterhouse & Sons. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG006

 

Nungarin - CWA Building

The Nungarin C.W.A. building was opened on September 17th, 1936. The commemorative plaque was unveiled by J. Jolly Esq. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG007

 

Nungarin - Craft Shoppe

Nungarin Community Learning Centre Craft Shoppe on Railway Avenue. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG008

 

Nungarin - Shire Office

The smart and modern Shire of Nungarin administration offices. This office and library were opened on December 12th, 1968 by Hon. L. A. Logan, Minister for Local Government. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG009

 

Nungarin - Old Hall

This appears to be an old hall but the building is totally unmarked. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG010

 

Nungarin - Memorial Hall

The former Memorial Hall now home to the Natural Resource Management Office. The Hall was built in memory of those who died in the two world wars. It was opened on September 4th, 1957 by Sir Charles Gardiner, Governor. The building was erected by the Nungarin Sub Branch RSL, the Nungarin Masonic Lodge, and the Nungarin Scout and Guide Group. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG011

 

Nungarin - Fuel Depot

The local cafe and fuel depot, open seven days, on Railway Parade. All locked up today so no fuel. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG012

 

Nungarin - Railway Avenue

A view looking south down Railway Avenue. Beyond W.S. Waterhouse & Sons is the C.W.A. building. The Woolshed Hotel is off to the left. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG013

 

Nungarin - Woolshed Hotel

The Woolshed Hotel on the Railway Avenue. This was erected in 1929 and was previously known as the Nungarin Hotel. March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG014

 

Nungarin - McCorry's Hotel

McCorry's Hotel is a little north of town and about 1km east. The sign says "Old McCorry's Hotel, Bed & Breakfast, Deli, Takeaways, Caravan Park and Restaurant", followed by 9046 5187 if you'd care to call them. It was constructed in 1912 and was formerly known as St Lawrence House (or Inn). March 2015. Photos Ref: NUNG015

 

Nungarin - Railway Station

The Nungarin railway station. This is now located in Whiteman Park, a suburb of Perth, on the Bennett Brook railway, along with the old Subiaco and East Perth station buildings plus various signal boxes from around the state. This station was built in Nungarin around 1943 and closed in 1973. December 2010. Photos Ref: NUNG016


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission