Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Quairading

A medium sized wheatbelt town some 66 km east of York, and 164 km east of Perth, and on the York - Bruce Rock railway which is still in service but used just for grain haulage. The town came about by the railway being extended from Greenhills to here in 1907. The town is named after a nearby spring. At the time the Surveyor spelt the name as Kwerading. The spring name is actually Kwera Ding. Local usage later adopted the Q and the current spelling


 
 
 
 
 

Quairading - Welcome Sign on Highway

Welcome to town this sign proclaims, sitting out on the York Road. Behind the sign you can glimpse Quairading Seed Cleaners. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG001

 

Quairading - Railway Station

Nice to see the local station so well preserved. That is often the case when someone is occupying it and looking after it, and in this case it is the Information Centre and Wood Sculpture Display. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG002

 

Quairading - Railway Station

Track-side of the railway station. The wheat harvest is all in and probably shipped out by now so not many trains will come this way until next season. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG003

 

Quairading - Jennaberring Road

Here is a look down the main street, Jennaberring Road. This is looking west. On the left is the Quairading Hall, on the right Post Office and shops beyond. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG004

 

Quairading - Jennaberring Road

Here is another view looking west but from further west. This is the main shopping/parking area. In the foreground is Agri Services, beyond that the Co-Op and further along to the hotel. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG005

 

Quairading - Commercial Bank

The former Commercial Bank building is located on the main street. This building was constructed in 1937 and opened the following year. On the window just next to the door it proclaims 'The Brass Razoo Bank'; and '1938'. This appears to be a private residence now. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG006

 

Quairading - Road Board Building

On the main street is the former Road Board Building and Shire Hall which has been extended side and rear and is now a private residence. This was erected in 1925. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG007

 

Quairading - Corner Shop on Jennaberring Road

A corner shop on Jennaberring Road. I think this shop may currently be work-in-progress as a private residence. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG008

 

Quairading - Shops

Shops on the main street. Makit Hardware with what looks like an empty shop next door. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG009

 

Quairading - Post Office

On Jennaberring Road is the local post office and Quairading Book Post so it seems this business doubles at the local library. This was built in 1927. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG010

 

Quairading - Shire Hall

The Quairading Shire Hall is right across the road from the Post Office. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG011

 

Quairading - Shire of Quairading

The Shire of Quairading Offices, a little east of the Shire Hall. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG012

 

Quairading - St Francis Xaviers Catholic Church

This is St Francis Xaviers Catholic Church, Quairading. The Foundation Stone proclaims the blessing and opening on 27th December 1936 by Most Rev. R. Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG013

 

Quairading - Catholic Church Presbytery

Immediately to the left of Xaviers is the Presbytery. A far more recent structure, it was blessed and opened on the 22nd September 1954 by the Most Rev. L. J. Goody, Bishop of Abydos. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG014

 

Quairading - High School

A wing of the Quairading District High School which sits across the road from the Catholic Church. The school opened in 1947. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG015

 

Quairading - Old School

The former Quairading State School. Construction of the school commenced in 1913 and it then expanded over the years. This appears to be the original building or a very early one. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG016

(Destroyed by fire in February 2016)

 

Quairading - Quairading Club

The Quairading Club is a pleasant structure on the north side of town. This building appears to be a conversion of Charlie Fraser's House, erected in 1930. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG017

 

Quairading - Hotel

The Quairading Hotel recently underwent renovations so that for a while much of the exterior was shrouded in scaffolding and protective covering. The original builders and owners were the Heggarty family who completed construction of the hotel in 1908. In 1921 Mr Antoni Szczecinski bought the hotel and added the upper storey in 1927. Mr Szczecinski earlier built, owned and managed the Mundijong Hotel. June 2013. Photos Ref: QDNG018

 

Quairading - Hotel

A view of one of the hotel entrances taken during the 2012 renovations. This door opens onto the main street. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG019

 

Quairading - House

There are many houses in town, some really well-to-do and looking fabulous and others fairly basic, a mix like you would find almost anywhere. This one looks good and has character. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG020

 

Quairading - Veterinary Clinic

This little transportable veterinary clinic sits on its own. This is only attended ever second Tuesday. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG021

 

Quairading - Youth Centre

The Quairading Youth Centre. The rear is made of weather-board and iron. The brick wall at the front looks like a much later addition. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG022

 

Quairading - Wheat Bins

Superstructure of the wheat handling facilities dominates the western approach into town. January 2012. Photos Ref: QDNG023


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission