Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Victoria Park

Victoria Park is an inner-city suburb located east of the Heirisson Island Causeway, only 2-3 kms from Perth city. In the 1890's this area was called Victoria Park Estate and was probably named after Queen Victoria who was then on the throne, or a Melbourne suburb of the same name. The suburb was officially named as Victoria Park in 1897. This locality is centred mainly on Albany Highway and Shepperton Road, and extending south-west to Berwick Street


 
 
 
 
 

Victoria Park - Windmill

Just over the Causeway sounds like a bit of a motor vehicle advertisement and indeed John Hughes Motors is just behind this building. On this site for many years was H. L. Brisbane and Wunderlich display of their tiles and building products. This windmill was built in 1939-1940 as part of the display and still it remains, now on the Heritage List. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK001

 

Victoria Park - Wishing Well

The wishing well was also part of the H. L. Brisbane and Wunderlich display. It is located just behind the windmill. It too was built in 1939-1940 and is also heritage listed. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK002

 

Victoria Park - Monadelphous

Surprisingly, this is one of the few modern high-rises in Victoria Park given its proximity to the CBD. The Monadelphous Building with the Cathay Centre to the left is just across from the east Causeway bus interchange and close to the windmill and wishing well. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK003

 

Victoria Park - Canning Highway Apartments

On Canning Highway north of Berwick Street is this row of modern apartment buildings. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK004

 

Victoria Park - Pumping Station

Close to Canning Highway on Armagh Street is the Metropolitan Water Supply, Sewerage and Drainage Board pumping station which was erected in 1938. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK005

 

Victoria Park - American Motorcycles

American Motorcycles adds a bit of bright colour to the picture. These buildings are on the corner of Albany Highway and Cargill Street. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK006

 

Victoria Park - Ryan Bros Building

An old two-storey commercial building on Albany Highway. This was the Ryan Bros. building. Lately occupied by Crystal Waters Irrigation but they've moved out leaving the place currently vacant. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK007

 

Victoria Park - 243-245 Albany Highway

Next door to the Ryan Bros Building is this pair of old shops. To the left is the Ulara Japanese Cafe. On the right is The Causeway which looks like a nightclub. April 2015 Photos Ref: VPRK008

 

Victoria Park - Tram Stop

The old Tram Stop on the corner of Albany Highway and Mackie Street. The building is now Zuccheho Espresso Bar. The tram stop dates back to 1905. The establishment of trams provided the first public transport from Victoria Park to Perth City via the Causeway. The large pole at the front has the words "Tram Stop" on it. Above probably supported electric cables. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK009

 

Victoria Park - Primary School

On Cargill Street is the Victoria Park Primary School. One of the oldest Education Department buildings in Perth, the school was opened in 1894. Due to its age, period design and immaculate condition, the school buildings are Heritage listed. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK010

 

Victoria Park - Primary School

This old wooden school building sits behind the main brick buildings. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK011

 

Victoria Park - Croquet Club

On Rushton Street and apparently now in the suburb of Burswood. However until at least 1987 this was in Victoria Park. The boundaries changed as they do. This is the club rooms of Victoria Park Croquet Club. It is very close to Shepperton Road. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK012

 

Victoria Park - Rushton Lunch Bar

At the top end of Rushton Street on the corner of Burswood Road is the Rushton Lunch Bar. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK013

 

Victoria Park - Flying Domestics

Across from the Rushton Lunch Bar is this bright Flying Domestics building. It actually fronts on to Burswood Road. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK014

 

Victoria Park - Library

At 315 - 317B Albany Highway is the former Victoria Park Library, doubling as a meeting place for such groups as the Oddfellows and Buffaloes. It was built in 1903. From 1972 this was used by the Patch Theatre. In more recent years it has been the Equator Restaurant. Today, Fu Zhong Fu Chinese Restaurant and Mahsuri Travel are the occupants. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK015

 

Victoria Park - Manchester Trading

At 319 Albany Highway in the former premises of Manchester Trading which operated from here 1930's to 1997. The building was erected in 1920. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK016

 

Victoria Park - Masonic Hall

The fine brickwork of the Victoria Park Masonic Hall stretches down Temple Street. This was erected in 1927. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK017

 

Victoria Park - Masons Hall

This is the Albany Highway frontage on the Masonic Hall. The front section is used by a couple of other businesses including Atlas Business Solutions and atWork Australia. The pitched roof-line of the early hall is evident in the picture. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK018

 

Victoria Park - Alexandra Theatre

At 625-629 Albany Highway is the former 1905 Alexandra Theatre which first screened silent movies. The building was later used as Humphrey's Dance Studio for many years, and subsequently Mustang Bootscoot Dance Ranch. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK019

 

Victoria Park - Old Police Station

On Albany Highway, this is the former Police Station, now home to Porter Matthews Real Estate. This was built in 1908 and extended in 1957. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK020

 

Victoria Park - Broken Hill Hotel

This is the Broken Hill Hotel on Albany Highway. The was built in 1899 and designed by Mr Robert McMaster. No doubt nearby McMaster Street is named after him. January 2012. Photos Ref: VPRK021

 

Victoria Park - Post Office

Here is the Post Office on Albany Highway. This was erected in 1896 and still operates as a post office. January 2009. Photos Ref: VPRK022

 

Victoria Park - Tudor House Flag Shop

Tudor House cuts a fine picture on Albany Highway. This has long been the place to go to buy flags of all sorts. January 2009. Photos Ref: VPRK023

 

Victoria Park - Albany Highway

A look south down Albany Highway. January 2009. Photos Ref: VPRK024

 

Victoria Park - St Peters Anglican Church

On Leonard Street is St Peter's Anglican Church. The Foundation Stone was laid on Quinquagesima Sunday, March 3rd, 1935. It was consecrated by the Archbishop of Perth, Dr Le Fanu on that date. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK025

 

Victoria Park - Doctor Surgery

On Leonard Street is this former house which now serves as a doctor's surgery. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK026

 

Victoria Park - Dental Surgery

Another former house on Leonard Street. This one is now a dental clinic. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK027

 

Victoria Park - Harrold's Chambers

On the corner of King George Street and Albany Highway (323-327) is the Harrold's Chambers Building. This was built in the 1930's for Mr Edmund (Ned) Harrold as commercial premises. Mr Harrold was also a former owner of the Broken Hill Hotel. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK028

 

Victoria Park - Harrold's Chambers

This is the King George Street face of the Harrold's Chambers building. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK029

 

Victoria Park - Albany Highway Shops

Shops running down the western side of Albany Highway near King George Street include Makan2 Cafe and Park Pianos. In the background you may be able to see the Harrold's Chambers building. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK030

 

Victoria Park - New Train Station

Here is a look at the new Victoria Park Station. It all looks rather grand and I see workmen in there painting and bricking and paving to make it all look good. June 2008. Photos Ref: VPRK031

 

Victoria Park - Old and New Train Stations

This is a picture on the old Vic Park Station looking down to the new. We're on 'old' Victoria Park soon to be demolished. Just up the line and around the corner was Lathlain Station which disappeared a few years ago. A few stations on this part of the line are so close you can easily walk from one to the next (or could). June 2008. Photos Ref: VPRK032

 

Victoria Park - Victoria Park Hotel

On Albany Highway 2-3 kilometres south of the Broken Hill Hotel is the Victoria Park Hotel. It was constructed in 1927. A previous hotel of the same name existed on the site from 1908 but was demolished to make way for the current building. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK033

 

Victoria Park - St Joachim's Hall

St Joachim's Hall on the corner of Shepperton Road and Harper Street which is in the nearby school and chapel compound. The Hall was erected in 1920. It doubled as a church until 1956 when the current church was built. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK034

 

Victoria Park - Ursula Frayne Catholic School

Part of the Ursula Frayne Catholic College viewed from the rear on Teague Street. This school was once known as St Joachim's Primary and High School. This, St Joachim's Hall and the Chapel, form a Catholic complex commenced by the Sisters of Mercy in 1856. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK035

 

Victoria Park - Catholic Chapel

Sitting in between St Joachim's Hall and the Catholic School is St Joachim's Church, constructed in 1955. On this site previously stood an 1898 weatherboard church which was later irreparably damaged during strong winds and thus had to be demolished. The pictured church was opened by Archbishop Prendiville on November 18th, 1956. March 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK036

 

East Victoria Park - Friendly Societies

United Friendly Societies Building at 553 Albany Highway. This building is dated 1940. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK037

 

East Victoria Park - Albany Highway Shops

A group of shops run up the west side of Albany Highway, very close to the Friendly Societies building. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK038

 

East Victoria Park - Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel on Albany Highway. This was constructed in 1930. Over the years is has previously been known as the Balmoral Tavern and the Boulevard Hotel. In 1995 it became the Babylon Hotel. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK039

 

East Victoria Park - Bakery

At 877 Albany Highway this shop is the site of a former bakery. The premises were constructed in 1900. Also trading here over the years has been JW Cakes. The bakery was known as Wallis Bros. Central Bakery. The current occupant is Food For Me. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK040

 

East Victoria Park - Carson Street School

On Carson Street this wing of the primary school faces the road. The school was established in 1935. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK041

 

East Victoria Park - Edward Millen House

This impressive structure was erected as the Rotunda (maternity) Hospital 1912. Elizabeth Baillee caused the construction. In 1919 it was used to house Spanish Influenza epidemic patients. In 1920 it was renamed Edward Millen House and was used as a WWI veterans' repatriation hospital until 1982. In 1982 the building became the Hillview (psychiatric) Hospital for residential young people. The Town of Victoria Park took over the premises in 2003. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK042

 

East Victoria Park - Catholic Church

Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church on Balmoral Street. The Foundation Stone was laid by Archbishop Redmond Prendiville on December 8th, 1960. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK043

 

East Victoria Park - Baptist Church

The former Ukranian Evangelical Baptist Church on Hubert Street. This is now known simply as the East Victoria Park Baptist Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by H. Hunt Esq., on April 29th, 1930. The stone commemorates extensions to the original 1918 building. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK044

 

East Victoria Park - Holy Trinity Church

The Holy Trinity Anglican Church on the corner of Whittleford and Washer Streets. This was opened in 1964. There is no visible foundation stone. April 2015. Photos Ref: VPRK045

 

Lathlain - Football Oval

Not strictly in Victoria Park but still in the municipality. Here is the Lathlain Park football ground which was established 1886 and at present is named Browne's Stadium. This is the main entrance where admission tickets can be purchased. July 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK046

 

Lathlain - Football Oval

Saturday is Football, but not for these kids who are out having a kick and a hotdog midweek. Lathlain Park is the home of the W.A.F.L. club the Perth Demons. This is the E. W. Jones - P .J. Fogarty Stand. July 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK047

 

Lathlain - Football Oval

On the southern side of the oval is the bar. A bit of a wander from the grandstands. This facility is probably there to cater for those sitting on the grass nearby. July 2013. Photos Ref: VPRK048


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission