Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Wandering

A small, rural town some 120 kilometres south-east of Perth, and 26 kilometres from North Bannister. Wandering seems to have the distinction or recording statewide record low temperatures during winter. The town gets it name from nearby Wandering Brook which is derived from the Aboriginal word "Wandooin" meaning a local tree. Mr George Watts discovered the local spring in 1859. Settlers moved into the area by 1860. The town was gazetted in 1912


 
 
   
 
 

Wandering - Welcome Sign

The welcome sign on approach to the townsite from the north. You can see part of the townsite in the distance. There is canola growing in the paddocks. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND001

 

Wandering - Main Street

This is the main street of town. This road is not a highway but is just the main road from North Bannister to Pingelly hence no endless streams of traffic hurrying through. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND002

 

Wandering - Demographics and History

This sign thoughtfully prepared and placed provides a concise history of the town and also its location on the planet. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND003

 

Wandering - Primary School

On the north side of town on Watts Street is the local primary school and it looks really resplendent. This school was constructed in 1924 and is still operating as such. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND004

 

Wandering - Primary School

A close-up of part of the school showing the doorway into the classroom. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND005

 

Wandering - Old School Site

On the south side of town, this is the old school site. The plaque on the stone reads: "Old Wandering School Site 1870 - 1924. Erected to Commemorate Former Teachers and Students. Unveiled by Mrs Ken Cornish (nee Dowsett), Former Student, 8th April 1990. Erected by the Shire of Wandering". October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND006

 

Wandering - Community Centre

The Community Centre was built in 1987. The Centre is set off the main road, behind the Agricultural Hall etc. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND007

 

Wandering - Agricultural Hall

The very smart looking Wandering Agricultural Hall dates way back to 1896. Mr Robert Turton cut the timber, made the bricks and constructed the building. The hall was opened on March 9th, 1896 by Mr George Watts. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND008

 

Wandering - War Memorial

The war memorial near the Agricultural Hall. For such a small community, so many men and women went away to serve their country. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND009

 

Wandering - Pioneer Statue

A statue also near the Agricultural Hall. This is no doubt to commemorate and honour the pioneer farmers and their tireless horses who worked together to open up this district in the middle-late 1800's. The statue is the creation of Len Zuks. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND010

 

Wandering - Shire Office

Modern Shire Offices on the main street built in 1966. It also contains a library and provides postal services. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND011

 

Wandering - Houses on Main Street

Handsome houses line the main street south from the Shire Offices. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND012

 

Wandering - Road Board Building

Here is Wandering's Road Board Office sitting intact inside what I assume to be a council compound. This was built in 1928. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND013

 

Wandering - Tavern

At the southern end of town, is the Wandering Tavern. This was formerly known at the Wandering Hotel. October 2011. Photos Ref: WAND014


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission