Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Pingelly

Pingelly is a medium-sized town located on the Great Southern Highway some 157 kilometres south-east of Perth and serves as an important regional hub for local agriculturists and as a grain export rail-head. The name Pingelly is derived from a rock formation some 13 kms north of the town called Pingeculling Rocks (also then known as Pingegully to settlers). The town is an original siding on the Great Southern Railway and it was gazetted in 1898


 
 
 
 
 

Pingelly - Welcome Sign on Highway

There are two welcome logs approaching town from the south. This is the 'Pingelly' log. The 'Welcome To' log is on the other side of the road. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY001

 

Pingelly - Commercial Bank

The former Commercial Bank of Australia dominates the streetscape in the centre of Pingelly. This structure was completed in 1911. Renovations were carried out in 1974. Prior to the bank being built, a blacksmith's shop stood on this site. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY002

 

Pingelly - District Museum

Here is the former Pingelly school building which was opened on January 20, 1898. This is at 15 Parade Street. Such was the enrolment growth that the town soon outgrew this building. A new school opened on Park Street in 1906. This building was then used as the town's courthouse for many years. It is currently occupied by the Pingelly District Museum and was opened at such on 12th October 1979. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY003

 

Pingelly - Exchange Tavern

The Exchange Tavern cuts a fine figure on the corner of Quadrant and Pasture (or Brown) Streets, down close to the railway line. This was built in 1906. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY004

 

Pingelly - Exchange Tavern

Another look at the Exchange Tavern more square-on and taken a year and a half after the above photograph. June 2013. Photos Ref: PGLY005

 

Pingelly - Pingelly Tavern

The Pingelly Tavern on the main street at the north end of town. This was formerly called the Pingelly Hotel. It was built in 1889 by Mr G .M. Sewell. Around 1902, the upper storey was added. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY006

 

Pingelly - Shops

A glimpse across the road (from the Museum) to some buildings on the main street. There is the Community Resource Centre and Library, and next door is the Town Hall. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY007

 

Pingelly - Parade Street

This is a view along the main street, Parade Street, looking south. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY008

 

Pingelly - Town Hall

The Town Hall was constructed in 1927. It was opened by the Hon James Price M.L.A., Minister for Public Works, on 14th September 1907. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY009

 

Pingelly - Coffee Shop

At 17-19 Parade Street is this colourful coffee shop. Over the decades, these premises have been variously known as the Pingelly Supermarket, the Community Craft Centre and the Christian Book Nook. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY010

 

Pingelly - Shire of Pingelly

The Shire of Pingelly offices sit off the main road up on Queen Street. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY011

 

Pingelly - RSL Hall

The local RSL Hall, on Parade Street towards the south side of town. This building was opened on 2nd July 1938 by A. Yeates Esq., OBE, State President of the R.S.S.I.L.A. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY012

 

Pingelly - Roads Board Office

The Pingelly Roads Board building was erected in 1909. This building hosted the Road Board up until 1961 at which time the Shire of Pingelly was established. It is now being used as the Community Agriculture Centre. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY013

 

Pingelly - Post Office

Post Office Pingelly 6308. This was built in 1918. When this photo was taken the business was for sale complete with the Australia Post Licence so it will continue to function as the town's post office after the sale. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY014

 

Pingelly - Old Shop

On the corner of Parade and Park Streets is this former shop. Construction would have been circa 1900. The building has hosted Pingelly Hardware & Rural Supplies and the Pingelly Lunch Bar over the years. It was also once a boarding house. This now appears to be a private residence. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY015

 

Pingelly - Old Union Bank Building

A rather grand building at 7 Parade Street that was built in 1912 for the Union Bank. The manager lived on the first floor. When this photo was taken the building was up for sale. Signage indicates this was also once a newsagency, bookstore, stationer and jeweller (all at the same time). Another time it was tea rooms and a bed and breakfast. What a history. This is currently a private residence. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY016

 

Pingelly - Total Farming Services

Total Farming Services at 2 Parade Street provides agricultural products for surrounding farmers. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY017

 

Pingelly - Stage Coach West

This corner shop proclaims Horse-Drawn Vehicles and Stage Coaches. This is at 22 Parade Street. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY018

 

Pingelly - Apex Club Building

This building is at 13 Queen Street. It doesn't look particularly occupied at present. This was built around 1900 as a chemist's shop by the business owner, Mr Thomas Laurence. It was later used as a general goods store. The Apex Club used this building from circa the 1960's. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY019

 

Pingelly - Cat in Doorway

Doorways opening directly onto the street are fairly uncommon in rural Western Australia. This one could easily be somewhere in southern Europe. The cat is quite oblivious to all that though and continues to snooze away the day. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY020

 

Pingelly - St Anne's Catholic Church

St Anne's Catholic Church, Pingelly. I couldn't find any Foundation Stone on the building. The Church was constructed in 1929. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY021

 

Pingelly - Anglican Church

The Anglican Church of St Luke and St Paul. It was opened on 2nd August 1900 by Mrs J. Sewell. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY022

 

Pingelly - Baptist Church

The Pingelly Baptist Church. There are two Foundation Stones, both laid on 15th April, 1903, one by Mrs A. Oliver and the other by Mrs J. Lobban. June 2013 Photos Ref: PGLY023

 

Pingelly - Baptist Church Hall

Next door to the Baptist Church is this building which is probably the parish hall. June 2013. Photos Ref: PGLY024

 

Pingelly - Pingelly Transport

The Pingelly Transport depot on the south side of town. Full of gleaming prime movers and trailers with a few movements even early on this Sunday morning. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY025

 

Pingelly - Railway Station

The Pingelly Railway Station is in pretty good shape although in 2011 it is unoccupied. This building was opened on July 3rd, 1929 by Hon. J. Scaddan, MLC, Minister for Railways. Another smaller station occupied this site from circa 1900. The town very soon outgrew this necessitating the current structure being erected. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY026

 

Pingelly - Railway Station

Some locals have produced their own station signage. You're going to be waiting here quite a while for a passenger train to any of those places. November 2011. Photos Ref: PGLY027


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission