Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

West Leederville

West Leederville is an inner-city, mostly residential suburb bounded by Wembley, Subiaco and Lake Monger. West Leederville is a descriptive term, taking its name from simply being west of Leederville. Leederville was named after early landowner Mr William Leeder. The locality name of West Leederville has been used for many years but it was only officially adopted as recently as 1998. The Lake Monger Reserve of nearly 200 hectares is immediately north


 
 
   
 
 

West Leederville - Flats on Cambridge St

At the Southport Road end of Cambridge Street are a number of blocks of flats. This is Cambridge Court. Beautiful gum trees surround the building. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV001

 

West Leederville - Flats on Cambridge St

Again near Southport Street are another couple of multi-blocks of flats. This is "Kings" obviously at number 32. A good location. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV002

 

West Leederville - Leederville Town Hall

A little to the west of both blocks of flats above, and adjacent to a council park and car park is the Leederville Town Hall and Recreation Complex. This was built in 1904 and extended in 1924. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV003

 

West Leederville - War Memorial

In the rose garden next to the Town Hall is the war memorial constructed circa 1920. In the background is Cambridge Street. September 2015. Photos Ref: WLDV004

 

West Leederville - J.B. O'Reilly's

J.B. O'Reilly's Irish Pub and Restaurant on Cambridge Street. This is named after Irish writer John Boyle O'Reilly (1844-1890). O'Reilly was sentenced to transportation to the Western Australian colony for Fenian misdeeds in Ireland. He arrived here 1868. Through a series of ingenious plotting and planning, he escaped on a ship and ended up in the U.S.A. where he married and published several books of poems. June 2008. Photos Ref: WLDV005

 

West Leederville - J.B. O'Reilly's

An update on J. B. O'Reilly's Pub. The paintwork has changed along with the signage but it still serves Guinness and still remains a memory to John Boyle O'Reilly. Mr O'Reilly's story is worth reading. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV006

 

West Leederville - Coles on Cambridge Street

On Cambridge Street just before the sun goes down. This Coles store has only been here about one year. June 2008. Photos Ref: WLDV007

 

West Leederville - Family Lunch Bar

The Family Lunch Bar at 136 Cambridge Street. On the north side of the street and not far from J.B. O'Reilly's. September 2015 Photos Ref: WLDV008

 

West Leederville - Railway Station

A view down the train line from the little road bridge, Hamilton Street, that crosses the tracks. Hamilton Street runs up from Railway Parade into some leafy Subiaco Streets. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV009

 

West Leederville - Railway Station

The second rail stop out of Perth en route to Fremantle is West Leederville. The old wooden overhead passenger bridge has gone but the supports remain. This is an extra-long station now as it has been extended to handle 6-car EDI trains ex-Mandurah line which run as Football Specials during the football season servicing Subiaco Oval. Another special Football railway platform exists on a branch line a couple of hundred metres west of here. January 2012. Photos Ref: WLDV010

 

West Leederville - Football Passengers

Westrail runs an excellent train service for Subiaco Oval football patrons. Over a period of an hour or so pre-match, trains loaded with the mostly purple army (today, anyway) disgorge hundreds and hundreds of fans here. This is a 6-car EDI Bombardier which has come up non-stop from Canning Bridge. June 2012. Photos Ref: WLDV011

 

West Leederville - Football Passengers

Football fans still getting off the train and going down the walk-way to Subiaco Oval. Mostly Fremantle fans but a smattering of Adelaide Crows supporters. Just for the record, Adelaide had Fremantle's measure this day. June 2012. Photos Ref: WLDV012

 

West Leederville - Railway Parade

A view looking east along Railway Parade from outside the railway station. September 2015. Photos Ref: WLDV013

 

West Leederville - Railway Parade Shops

Almost across the road from West Leederville station on Railway Parade is this row of shops. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV014

 

West Leederville - Rosslyn

The Aria Cafe in the Rosslyn building on the corner of Railway Parade and Rosslyn Street. September 2015. Photos Ref: WLDV015

 

West Leederville - Serendipity Books

At 256-258 Railway Parade is the fine Serendipity Books, Antiquarian Booksellers. An absolute must for those seeking old books. September 2015. Photos Ref: WLDV016

 

West Leederville - Northwood Street Building

On Northwood Street just off Railway Parade is this old building. It has no outward signage. September 2015. Photos Ref: WLDV017

 

West Leederville - Fire Station on McCourt Street

On McCourt Street across the road from the St John of God Hospital Subiaco Convent is the old fire station. This was purpose-built in 1926 and operated as a fire station until 1965. Since then it has been used as an art gallery and craft shop, then later medical suites. In October 2014, the building was placed on the market with an asking price of $1.1 million. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV018

 

West Leederville - International Beer Shop

This is the International Beer Shop on the corner of Woolwich Street and McCourt Street. Since this photo was taken, the beer shop has moved to Oxford Street and now these premises are purveyors of fine wines and still many beers. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV019

 

West Leederville - Theo's Music

Theo's Musical Instruments Pty Ltd on Southport Street. A new high-rise is in the background. September 2015. Photos Ref: WLDV020

 

West Leederville - New Building on Loftus Street

This is a new high rise building facing Loftus Street and backing on to streets to the east of Oxford Close. September 2015. Photos Ref: WLDV021

 

West Leederville - Catholic Education Centre

These buildings are on Ruislip Street Leederville are the home to the Catholic Education Centre. The complex used to be known as the Home Of The Good Shepherd and was built in 1908 as an Industrial Home for young female juvenile delinquents and remained thus until 1979. Many girls were wards of the state. It was run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. This is looking up to the main entrance. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV022

 

West Leederville - Catholic Education Centre

Here is another view of the southern facade. In its very early days this was also was known at the Good Shepherd Convent. The Foundation Stone was laid on the 5th November 1903 by the Most Reverend M. Gibney, Bishop of Perth. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV023

 

West Leederville - Catholic Education Centre

A view along the front corridor of the Catholic Education Centre. It feels like it absolutely reeks with history. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV024

 

West Leederville - Catholic Education Centre

This is the church next to the centre. It was a much later addition, in fact built in 1938 along very traditional lines. January 2011. Photos Ref: WLDV025

 

West Leederville - St John Of God Hospital

St John of God Hospital Subiaco is within the suburb of West Leederville yet still within the City of Subiaco. The first hospital was built on this site in 1920. It has been modified and extended significantly over the decades. September 2016. Photos Ref: WLDV026

 

West Leederville - St John Of God House

Next to the St John of God Hospital is St John of God House. This was purpose built as nurses quarters probably back around the 1960's. In recent years parts of this building have been used for administration offices, a pathology laboratory, private medical suites and antenatal parent education, amongst other things. September 2016. Photos Ref: WLDV027

(Demolished May 2017)


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission