Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About


At 160 kms south of Perth, this is the first major town on the Albany Highway travelling south towards Albany. Settlement commenced in the 1830's but development was slow. Convicts built the highway to Albany including the bridge over the Williams River (discovered by Bannister in 1831). Construction of the hotel and public buildings followed. The town was gazetted in 1897 and is named after King William IV (crowned 1831), by Governor Stirling

West to Quindanning  

Williams - Albany Highway

A view looking south down Albany Highway. You can see the cafe, a sliver of the hotel, and the garage. Beyond those is the Williams River and trotting track, and then on to Arthur River. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM001


Williams - Shops

The Plum Tree and Ivy Cafe, and next door the Williams General Store on Brooking Street. The cafe building was built in 1910 as a butcher's shop. The General Store was constructed in the same year. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM002


Williams - Woolshed

The Williams Woolshed looks quite spectacular. It contains a number of tourist-style retail shops, a restaurant and an information centre and is located on Albany Highway right in the middle of town. It is almost impossible to miss if you're passing by. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM003


Williams - Hotel

The Williams Hotel, established in 1850, sitting on the Albany Highway. The hotel underwent modifications in 1912 and then various other changes over the decades. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM004


Williams - Hotel

Another aspect of the Williams Hotel. This is the side of the building showing its northern face. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM005


Williams - Post Office

Post Office Williams 6391 is on the corner of Albany Highway and Brooking Street. This building dates back to 1923. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM006


Williams - Shops on Brooking Street

The newsagency and real estate agency on Brooking Street at the corner of Growse Street. This building was erected in 1910. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM007


Williams - Agricultural Hall

The Williams Agricultural Hall was opened on 22nd February 1898 by M. Quinn Esq. The hall was originally used for social events, church services, weddings, Road Board meetings and as a school. In the Second World War it was used as an aircraft spotting station. These days it is an arts and crafts centre. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM008


Williams - Rustik Rainbow Cafe

The Rustik Rainbow Cafe, home of art, honey, gifts, a gallery, a nursery, and of course a cafe. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM009


Williams - District Club

The Williams District Club Inc. on Brooking Street. The Foundation Stone was laid on 16th December 1958 by Mr W. C. Carne, J.P and Chairman of the Williams Road Board. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM010


Williams - Shire Offices

The Shire of Williams offices on Brooking Street were constructed in 1959. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM011


Williams - Community Hall

Next to the Shire of Williams on Brooking Street and probably around the same vintage is what appears to be the Shire Hall. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM012


Williams - Primary School

One wing of the Williams Primary School. Inside looks very pleasant including a large undercroft area for eating lunch and having assemblies. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM013


Williams - River

The Williams River flows under the Albany Highway road bridge on the south side of town. This bridge was opened in 1936. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM014


Williams - Trotting Track

Action on the trotting track. A reinsman puts his charge through its paces early on a cool Sunday morning. November 2011. Photos Ref: WLLM015

W.A. Now and Then - Williams - Go here for more Williams information

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission