Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Witchcliffe

The small town of Witchcliffe is 9 kms south of Margaret River on the Bussell Highway. The town was gazetted in 1926 yet Mr John Bussell (founder of Busselton) had a property here in the 1850's. The town is named after the nearby Witchcliffe Cave which was named by Mr Bussell. At the time of establishment, Witchcliffe was a timber and saw-milling town. The local rail siding was first named Newarlingup, then Narawary before Witchcliffe was adopted


 
 
   
 
 

Witchcliffe - Druids Hall

On Bussell Highway is the wooden Druids Hall. The building dates back to 1922 and was originally constructed as a shop. The Druids acquired the premises as their Hall in 1945. Recently, the Red Cross used the premises as their store for a while. This is now owned by the Shire of Margaret River. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC001

 

Witchcliffe - CWA Building

The C.W.A. Hall is on Redgate Road, just off the Bussell Highway. The building is constructed out of local timber and was erected in 1936. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC002

 

Witchcliffe - Darnells' Store

On Redgate Street this building is now unoccupied. This was built as the Witchcliffe Hall in 1922. It was later used as a store. One of the earlier owners where Mr and Mrs Fearn and at that time the shop was known Fearn's Cash Store. Mr Darnell purchased the store in 1938. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC003

 

Witchcliffe - Darnells' Store

A look down the front of the former Darnell's General Store. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC004

 

Witchcliffe - Sundance Health Foods

This building is now used by Sundance Health Foods. It was originally a church built in 1933. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC005

 

Witchcliffe - Flying Wardrobe

An attractive old shop on the main street now occupied by The Flying Wardrobe second hand store. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC006

 

Witchcliffe - Red Cross Shop

The current Red Cross Shop. The Red Cross Store formerly operated out of the Druids Hall. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC007

 

Witchcliffe - Liquor Store

The Witchie Liquor Store on Bussell Highway. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC008

 

Witchcliffe - Witchie Cafe

The Witchie Cafe on Bussell Highway. This looks to be a combined business and residential premise. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC009

 

Witchcliffe - Nyindamurra School

Situated a few kilometres south of the Witchcliffe townsite is the Margaret River Independent School. It is a rather attractive campus made up of old buildings and new ones constructed in vintage style. The school was established in 1982 and was originally known as the Nyindamurra Family School. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC010

 

Witchcliffe - Nyindamurra School

Another one of the class rooms in the Margaret River Independent School campus. The school caters for children between kindergarten and year 7. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC011

 

Witchcliffe - Nyindamurra School

Still in the school grounds, this building is the Nyindamurra Performing Arts Centre. The sign on the building simply says "Nyindamurra School" so perhaps this was the original school building. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC012

 

Witchcliffe - Nyindamurra School

A final look at the Margaret River Independent School. Another old classroom acquired and transported to this site. December 2013. Photos Ref: WITC013


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission