Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Aldersyde

Aldersyde is a small town located a few kms south of the Brookton - Corrigin road, the turn-off being 30 kms east of Brookton. The town was apparently on the Brookton - Kunjinn railway but no evidence of the railway exists today. Aldersyde was established in 1913 and 4 properties had to be resumed. One of these was owned by Mr Frederick Pyke, named Aldersyde. The town was thus gazetted in 1915. Earlier names considered were Nuralgin and Markegin


 
 
 
 
 

Aldersyde - CBH Entrance

The entrance to the CBH depot at Aldersyde. All road here, no rail. The rail line disappeared many years ago. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS001

 

Aldersyde - Pioneer Church

Aldersyde's Pioneer Memorial Church. The Foundation Stone reads: "Aldersyde Pioneer Memorial Church. This building was erected in Memory of the Pioneers of the District and was Dedicated to the Glory of God by Rev J. F. Whittle on 23rd Oct 1954". June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS002

 

Aldersyde - Pioneer Church

A side view of the Pioneer Memorial Church. A plaque on the church reads: "This church was officially opened by Arthur William Powell, one of the pioneers of the district". The plaque is undated. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS003

 

Aldersyde - CWA Rooms

On Railway Terrace is the CWA rest rooms. The rooms look very smart but may no longer be in use due to the apparent existence of asbestos in the premises. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS004

 

Aldersyde - CWA Rooms

The rear and side view of the CWA rest rooms. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS005

 

Aldersyde - CWA Memorial

This is a small memorial to all those who were CWA members of the Aldersyde branch. It is located across the road from the church. You don't have to say a lot of words to convey a big meaning. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS006

 

Aldersyde - Street View

Looking along the Brookton-Kweda Road (Railway Terrace) which runs through town. To the right is the CWA rooms and after that one of the houses. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS007

 

Aldersyde - Sports Centre

Once upon a time a sports centre once existed here. Perhaps tennis courts. They have fallen into considerable disrepair. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS008

 

Aldersyde - Shed

A metal shed located near the old sports facility. Nothing in here now except a few benches which are falling apart. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS009

 

Aldersyde - Shed

This curious old shed resembles an old barn or some such farming building. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS010

 

Aldersyde - School Memorial Plaque

The old Aldersyde school site. The plaque reads: "Classes began for a trial period in the Aldersyde Hall on November 23rd 1925 with Miss E. A. Brinkworth as teacher and stock and furniture from the closed Markegin school. The Markegin building was moved to this site and re-opened as the Aldersyde school on February 3rd 1928. The school closed in 1968". June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS011

 

Aldersyde - Old School Site

Here is where the old Aldersyde school was located. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS012

 

Aldersyde - Road Signs

Road signs next to the townsite of Aldersyde. The town is located just up the Brookton - Kweda Road. The first few hundred metres of this road are still mapped as Railway Terrace. The Brookton - Corrigin railway once ran through here where there was a siding. It is listed on a W.A.G.R. network map of 1935. Nalya siding was 4 miles west of here. Mears siding was 6 miles east. The last train between Brookton and Corrigin ran in 1959, at night, without any ceremony. The track was later lifted. June 2016. Photos Ref: ALDS013


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission