Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Brookton

Brookton sits on the junction of the Great Southern Highway and the Brookton Highway/Brookton-Corrigin Road. It is around half way between Beverley and Pingelly and it is 137 kms from Perth. When the rail siding opened in 1889, the area was known as Brookton. The townsite was to be gazetted in the name of Seabrook but the existing local name prevailed. Brookton is named after early settler John Seabrook's property which was known as Brookton House


 
 
 
 
 

Brookton - Welcome Sign

Welcome to Brookton, and welcome to this Brookton page. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN001

 

Brookton - Bedford Arms Hotel

The Bedford Arms Hotel sits on the corner of Robinson Road and Lennard Street, across the railway line from the Great Southern Highway. This was built in 1903. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN002

 

Brookton - Robinson Road

A view looking south down the main street, Robinson Road, from close to the Bedford Arms Hotel. The railway station is on the right. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN003

 

Brookton - Former Grocery Store

At 13 Robinson Road and on the corner of Lennard Street is this fine 1926 constructed building. This was once a grocery store. You can still faintly see "Bushells" up on the top of the building. This has apparently also been known as Southern Avon and also Mongomery's Store in the past. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN004

 

Brookton - Former Grocery Store

The former grocery store this time taking in a view along Robinson Street. This is now a second hand store. Next door are the former fruit shop and Blue Bell tearooms. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN005

 

Brookton - Lennard Street Shop

At the rear of the 1926-constructed grocery store is this old shop. You can see part of the former grocery store on the right. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN006

 

Brookton - Shops on Robinson Street

A view looking south along Robinson Road showing a couple of shops under repair plus the yellow newsagency and red deli beyond that. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN007

 

Brookton - Old Shops on Robinson Street

The former fruit and vegetables shop and Blue Bell tearooms on Robinson Road. Behind the signage on the left shop you can still make out the word "saddlery". When I came through here in 2011 these premises were being renovated. Today both shops combine into one art dealership. I like the retention of the old signage. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN008

 

Brookton - Farmers Cooperative/IGA

This is the Brookton Farmers Cooperative/IGA on Robinson Road. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN009

 

Brookton - CWA Rooms

The CWA rooms on Robinson Road. Very well maintained and rather 1960's in design. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN010

 

Brookton - RSL Hall

Right next door to the CWA rooms on Robinson Road is the small RSL Hall. It looks of rather the same vintage as the CWA rooms - 1960's. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN011

 

Brookton - District Memorial Hall

The Brookton District Memorial Hall. A metal plaque on the wall states that the hall was opened on May 9th, 1956, by the Premier of Western Australia, Hon. A. R. G. Hawke. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN012

 

Brookton - District Memorial Hall

This view of the hall takes in the rear section highlighting the fine brickwork. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN013

 

Brookton - Museum formerly Police Station

Down towards the southern end of town is the old police station which has been turned into a museum. The police station was built in 1913. It has been used by the Brookton Historical Society as a museum since 1986. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN014

 

Brookton - Railway Station

Brookton railway station looking in very good condition. Change here for Corrigin. The station now houses an arts and crafts centre. Nothing like a building being occupied to keep it sparkling. The station and its environs were constructed in 1927. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN015

 

Brookton - Railway Station

This is the road side of Brookton station and you can see I wasn't telling stories because you can see the arts and crafts sign! The hanging baskets add a bit of charm. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN016

 

Brookton - Railways Goods Shed

Across the tracks from the railway station is the old goods shed. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN017

 

Brookton - Railway Junction

Here the railway runs out of town to the south. The track ahead leads to Pingelly and eventually on to Albany. The junction going off to the left used to run to Corrigin but the track (apart from this bit) has been lifted. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN018

 

Brookton - St Mark's Anglican Church

St Mark's Anglican Church in Brookton. The Foundation Stone doesn't say who opened the church. It simply says 'To the glory of God and to the memory of the late Samuel Williams, Esq., J.P., 3rd February 1924'. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN019

 

Brookton - Uniting Church

The Brookton Uniting Church was built as a Methodist Church and two Foundation Stones were laid on 14th January 1909. One was laid by Mr Theo R. Lowe, J.P., and the other by Mrs R. L. S. Crawford. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN020

 

Brookton - Masonic Hall

The former Mason's Hall on Richardson Street. Ownership very recently changed hands. A lot of excited activity around here today as the Brookton Bandicoot Girl Guides are having a garage sale here. Irrespective of who the new owner is, it seems this is now the town's new Guide Hall. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN021

 

Brookton - Calvary Church

On Richardson Street is the Calvary Westminster Presbyterian Church. This was built in 1910. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN022

 

Brookton - Calvary Church Hall

Situated just to the right of the Calvary Church is their hall or meeting room. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN023

 

Brookton - Tamleroy Historic Exhibition

This part of town is known as Tamleroy (N. L. and Y. M. Gill) and appears to be a sort of yesteryear memorial park. Photographed is one shed showing brewing exhibits on horse wagons. Another shed features a Clydesdale horse and more wagons loaded with bales of wool. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN024

 

Brookton - Club Hotel

The Club Hotel is on the Great Southern Highway. The section of the highway passing through town here is known as Williams Street. The hotel was erected in 1910. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN025

 

Brookton - Williams Street

A view looking south down Williams Street. Off to the left is the railway area and beyond that is Robinson Road. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN026

 

Brookton - Boarding House (former)

At 34 Williams Street, Brookton, is this former Boarding House which also has been used as a shop and deli. It was built in 1910. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN027

 

Brookton - Boarding House Dining Room (former)

This appears to be a residence and is at 36 Williams Street. In the old days this building served as a dining room for the boarding house next door at 34. This was actually built as a private residence circa 1910. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN028

 

Brookton - Crawford's Stock and Station Agency (former)

Another old business building at 40 Williams Street. This used to be Crawford's Stock and Station Agents premises. The building dates back to circa 1910. This is now a private residence. June 2016. Photos Ref: BRKN029

 

Brookton - Wheat Fields

A few kilometres west of town on the Brookton Highway are wheat crops awaiting harvest. November 2011. Photos Ref: BRKN030


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission