Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Byford

Byford is located on the South Western Highway south of Armadale and about 33 km from Perth. Byford was a planned town, built to provide housing for workers in the local brickworks. The town first appeared in 1906 and was then known as Beenup, named after the nearby Beenyup Brook. In 1919 a local progress association tried unsuccessfully to change the name to Lynwood. A request a year later to change the name to Byford was successful


 
 
   
 
 

Byford - Railway Station

Looking south down the line from Byford station. Next station is Mundijong. Twenty-odd years ago some of the metro diesel rail cars continued their path south to Byford offering residents an infrequent rail service, but a service it was. This trains ceased after the rail electrification which terminates at Armadale. There used to be a much more substantial railway station here. Now Government talks are afoot to once again extend the suburban rail network south to Byford. January 2009. Photos Ref: BYFD001

 

Byford - Shopping Centre

Part of the Byford shopping centre on South Western Highway. Just south of Byford, on the South Western Highway at Cardup, there used to be a Royal Australian Navy Armament Depot which was very visible from the highway. The depot was established during war time in 1942, in bushland, and purposely well away from the coast. In 1981 the depot closed and the facility was transferred to Garden Island. January 2009. Photos Ref: BYFD002

 

Byford - Country Club

The Byford Country Club, home to the local pool team, Classic Car Club and Bowling Club, sits on the west side of the South Western Highway. April 2011. Photos Ref: BYFD003

 

Byford - Bakery

The Byford Bakery. It might not look much from this view but inside is roomy and pleasant and they offer a wide range of baked delights. There is an area with tables and chairs around the corner for dining-in clients. April 2011. Photos Ref: BYFD004

 

Byford - Hairdressers

A hair dressing salon in Byford. The name is rather clever. Amanda's Curl Up and Dye. April 2011. Photos Ref: BYFD005

 

Byford - Uniting Church

The Byford Uniting Church. Originally the Presbyterian Church. It was built in 1927 and the Foundation Stone was laid by Right Rev. George Tulloch, Moderator, on 10th December of that year. April 2011. Photos Ref: BYFD006

 

Byford - Reformed Church

The Byford Reformed Church on Soldiers Road. This church was instituted in January 1985. The Free Reformed Church is a Christian fellowship and this church is one of fourteen Reformed Churches located within Western Australia. January 2009. Photos Ref: BYFD007

 

Byford (Cardup) - Hall

The Cardup Christian Community Centre - 'Baker Community Hall' - the sign offers marriage ceremonies etc. Nice peaceful area to be in, away from the city. January 2009. Photos Ref: BYFD008


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission