Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Dalwallinu

The town of Dalwallinu is situated on the Great Northern Highway some 260 kms north-east of Perth. The town is also on the Goomalling - Mullewa railway and used to be a major watering and coaling point in the days of steam, plus it was serviced by the passenger train "The Mullewa Express". The townsite was gazetted in 1914. These days, Dalwallinu is an important commercial hub providing all manner of services to the surrounding agriculturalists


 
 
   
 
 

Dalwallinu - Welcome Sign

Welcome to Dalwallinu, A Place of Wheat and Wattle. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW001

 

Dalwallinu - Discovery Centre

The modern Dalwallinu Discovery Centre invites everyone to explore the wildflower country. This Centre opened in September 2010. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW002

 

Dalwallinu - Hotel

The Dalwallinu Motor Hotel on Johnston Street. The hotel was built in 1926. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW003

 

Dalwallinu - Post Office

These premises look like they were once occupied by IGA but now the post office has moved in. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW004

 

Dalwallinu - Old Post Office

The former post office building on Johnston Street at present appears to be unoccupied. This was built in 1924. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW005

 

Dalwallinu - Dally Meats and Dally Cafe

Side-by-side on Johnston Street, the Dally Meat Supply and the Dally Cafe. The Cafe was built mid-war years and was once Mrs Coffin's Dress Shop and at another time a chemists. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW006

 

Dalwallinu - Roberts Buildings

Roberts Buildings on the main street. Construction was in 1929 for Mr Roberts, a local business man. Currently occupied by the Pharmacy. Prior to the pharmacy, this was at one time a Foodlands store. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW007

 

Dalwallinu - Johnston Street

A view looking north along Johnston Street taken from around about outside the hotel. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW008

 

Dalwallinu - Johnston Street

A view looking south down Johnston Street. The post office is on the corner. You can see the hotel in the distance. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW009

 

Dalwallinu - Road Board

The Dalwallinu Road Board building, constructed in 1924. This is a building of substance and now appears to be the Town Hall. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW010

 

Dalwallinu - Freemasons

The Dalwallinu Freemasons Lodge No. 123, W. A. C. The Completion Tablet was unveiled by R. W. Deputy Grand Master, Bro. A. C. McCallum, on 13th October 1927. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW011

 

Dalwallinu - Anglican Church

St Luke's Anglican Church, Dalwallinu. The Foundation Stone is simply inscribed thus: "Church of St Luke. This stone was laid 2nd May 1929. A.M.D.G.". Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW012

 

Dalwallinu - Catholic Church

The buildings of the St Benedict's Catholic Church. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW013

 

Dalwallinu - Old Courthouse Crafts

Down adjacent to the rail yard is the old courthouse building which how hosts a craftshop and provides tourist information. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW014

 

Dalwallinu - Auto Parts

Also close to the rail yard is Dally AG Supplies, for auto parts and agricultural supplies. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW015

 

Dalwallinu - Railway Station

The railway station building would date back to 1914 when the rail first came through the town. This is looking track-side. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW016

 

Dalwallinu - Railway Station

A view of the railway station from the town side. It is currently occupied by the Dally Whistlestop take-away food shop, however the building is up for sale. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW017

 

Dalwallinu - Baptist Church

The Baptist Church centre just across the road from the Freemasons Hall. This building goes back to around 1920 and was once McCreery's Hardware Store and house. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW018

 

Dalwallinu - Uniting Church

Uniting Church, Dalwallinu. The Foundation Stone was laid by W. St Clair Brockway Esq., J.P. on 23th June 1927. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW019

 

Dalwallinu - Uniting Church Hall

At the rear of the Uniting Church is the Anthony Bell Hall which forms a part of the church complex. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW020

 

Dalwallinu - Former Church of Christ

It is rather hard to read on the white face of this building, but indeed this building is the former Church of Christ. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW021

 

Dalwallinu - Old Well

On the southern side of town, just off the main road, is the old town well. The well was sunk by the Ellison Brothers in 1909. The plaque on the rock serves to commemorate the Dalwallinu Pioneers, many of whom camped at this site in those early times. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW022

 

Dalwallinu - Goodbye

Leaving town, on the reverse side of the welcome message is this rather clever pun. Photo November 2014. Photos Ref: DALW023


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission