Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Dumbleyung

Dumbleyung is a classic W.A. country town, peaceful and as neat as a pin, located 38 kilometres east of Wagin adjacent to Lake Dumbleyung and on the main road to Esperance. The town was established in 1907 and was originally named Dambeling which is of Aboriginal origin. Dumbleyung is a variation of the former name. The town shot to international fame in 1964 when Sir Donald Campbell captured the world water speed record in his Bluebird


 
 
West to Wagin  
 
 

Dumbleyung - Welcome Sign

Colourful welcome sign on the road just outside of town. The town logo is a duck about to land, which may have been inspired by wildlife on the nearby lakes. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL001

 

Dumbleyung - Another Welcome Sign

This fine creation is close to town on the eastern side, next to the road to Lake Grace. This Dumbleyung Ducks sculpture was created by artist Sandy Chambers who hails from Boyup Brook. December 2016. Photos Ref: DMBL002

 

Dumbleyung - Garage

A view across the main street, Absolon Street, across to the garage. On the other side of the road are also the rail yards. December 2016. Photos Ref: DMBL003

 

Dumbleyung - Streets

A look from up near the tavern over the railway crossing, across Absolon Street and north down Bennett Street. On the left past the rail line is a sports complex which includes squash courts, a rarity in the city area these days and even more so in the country perhaps. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL004

 

Dumbleyung - Bank of N.S.W.

The former Bank of N.S.W. building. You can just make out some of the lettering above the door. From 1910 to 1927 on this site (but not this building) was the Bank of W.A. which later merged with the Bank of N.S.W. This building was constructed in 1939 as a purpose-built bank and continued as such through to 1993. Today SnipTrix Hair Salon uses the premises. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL005

 

Dumbleyung - Former National Bank Site

The Secret Tea Garden - Olde Village Wares - occupies what was once the town's National Bank. The bank (Union then National) occupied this site from 1918 to 1940. In 1942 the place became a general agency under the ownership of Mr English. Later the site was occupied by Elders until closure in 1984. December 2016. Photos Ref: DMBL006

 

Dumbleyung - Blue Shop

Built in 1912, this is the oldest shop in town. It was constructed and first occupied by Malcolm and Co. when Mr Malcolm moved his Nippering business to Dumbleyung. Originally a general store, different businesses with various owners have operated from here over the years including a machinery agency, a mechanical repair shop, and an electrical goods outlet. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL007

 

Dumbleyung - Post Office

On Absolon Street here is the old post office which was constructed in 1912. It's empty now. The post office and local newsagency were amalgamated in 1978. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL008

 

Dumbleyung - Shops

A trio of shops on Absolon Street. On the right is the Landcare Office, centre is vacant and on the right is Scally Art. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL009

 

Dumbleyung - Tavern

The Dumbleyung Tavern formerly known as the Dumbleyung Hotel was erected in 1911. It sits a little south of the main street on Bartram Street, just over the rail track from the main part of town. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL010

 

Dumbleyung - Tavern

The Dumbleyung Tavern viewed through the trees and across the rail line, from the main street. December 2016. Photos Ref: DMBL011

 

Dumbleyung - Railway Station

The preserved Dumbleyung railway station. Constructed very much in the mould of many a lesser station throughout the Great Southern and South West The small out-building to the right has been colourfully adorned. What looks like the good shed sits beyond. The station was built in 1913. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL012

 

Dumbleyung - Rail Yard

A single rail track runs through town. This is a look west back down towards the station and eventually to Wagin. In the old days there would have been at least one loop line here and probably another running through the goods shed. The line continues eastwards to Kukerin and Lake Grace. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL013

 

Dumbleyung - Hall

On Bennett Street next to the Shire of Dumbleyung administration offices is the local hall. The Foundation Stone was laid by S. Stubbs Esq, M.L.A., on 9th March 1929. Four local pioneer names are also carved into the stone. They are: Geo. Kersley, F. W. Bahr, H. Bartram and W. S. Bennett. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL014

 

Dumbleyung - Veteran Car Club

On Bennett Street this fine building is occupied by the local branch of the Veteran Car Club of W.A. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL015

 

Dumbleyung - Foodworks Shop

In the centre of town is Foodworks and today business is brisk. Me, a total stranger in town, wandering up and around with a camera around my neck, was totally surprised and the number of passing people said "Hello .. did you get the picture you wanted?" Or some such nicety. That would never happen in Perth. Thank you, kind Dumbleyung people. December 2016. Photos Ref: DMBL016

 

Dumbleyung - Primary School

The primary school is made up of a number of buildings of various ages. This looks like the oldest and probably dates from a time when the school consisted of just a single classroom back in 1912. The whole school is in immaculate condition. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL017

 

Dumbleyung - Stubbs Park

To the south of town, beyond the tavern is Stubbs Park, the sports fields. This is the main grandstand named after Mr Sydney Stubbs, one time M.L.A. for the seat of Wagin. Mr Stubbs was first elected in 1911. He was in Parliament for many years and rose to the position of Speaker. Prior to becoming a Parliamentarian, Mr Stubbs was Mayor of Perth. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL018

 

Dumbleyung - St Augustine's Anglican-Uniting Church

Across the street from the primary school is St Augustine's Anglican-Uniting Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by Ralph, Fifth Bishop of Bunbury on 19th April 1958. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL019

 

Dumbleyung - Catholic Church

St John the Baptist Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by Revmo Patritio Josepho Clune on 16th December 1925 (the stone is written in Latin). February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL020

 

Dumbleyung - Bluebird Replica

It has been more than 3 years since I stopped by in Dumbleyung. So much has been going on particularly on the main street in the railway station area. This new shelter houses a replica Bluebird. A side of the railway station building (in the background) is now adorned by many local historical photos. Good to see. December 2016. Photos Ref: DMBL021

 

Dumbleyung - Lake Sign

A few kilometres west of the townsite is Lake Dumbleyung, a vast salt bed made famous by Sir Donald Campbell and his "Bluebird" water-speed exploits in 1964. These signs mark the start of one of the trails to the lake, Kersley Drive (named after a local pioneer), and the Nature Reserve proclamation. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL022

 

Dumbleyung - Lake Dumbleyung

A kilometre or so down Kersley Drive, across a couple of cattle grids and a wind along the gravel road for a while, presents this scene of the lake. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL023

 

Dumbleyung - Lake Dumbleyung

Perhaps another kilometre or so along the track and this aspect emerges. The lake is quite large and every road turn presents quite a different vista. There doesn't seem to be much water in the lake now. February 2013. Photos Ref: DMBL024


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission