Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Greenough

Greenough is a locality some 24 kms south of Geraldton. A settlement thrived here for years but later was largely abandoned leaving now only historical sites and ruins. Greenough was named in 1839 after the nearby river which was named by explorer George Grey in 1839, after George Bellas Greenough, President of the Royal Geographical Society in London. Many buildings here are now National Trust. Leaning trees are an unusual, natural district feature


 
 
   
 
 

Greenough - Welcome Sign

At the Historic Settlement, here is the Greenough welcome sign. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH001

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement Police Station

The Historical Settlement consists of approximately fourteen old buildings. Since the 1970's these have been renovated and preserved. Entrance to the complex is $6.00. Pictured is the old police station and gaol constructed in 1870. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH002

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement Road Board

The Greenough Road Board building was erected in 1906. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH003

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement School

Central Greenough School was built in 1865. The building also served as a community hall and Anglican church. Around the settlement grounds are quite a few roaming alpacas. They look a bit skinny because they've just been shorn. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH004

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement Anglican Church

St Catherine's Anglican Church, Greenough. This is in the Diocese of North West Australia. The church still functions. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Lord Bishop of Perth on 22nd November, 1913. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH005

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement Anglican Church Hall

Next to St Catherine's Church is the church hall. It was built in 1898 with the front porch being added in 1901. During the 1930's, the building was used as a school. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH006

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement Presbytery

In 1900, Mr Bennett caused this Presbytery to be built. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH007

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement Cottage

The side and rear of Goodwin's Cottage The Catholic Church built this in 1890 for Ned Goodwin. On Ned's death in 1912, the building reverted back to church ownership. Later this was used as a school building right up until 1958. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH008

 

Greenough - Historic Settlement Catholic Church

St Peter's Catholic Church was completed in 1908. This replaced an earlier church which was damaged beyond repair in a flood in 1888. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH009

 

Greenough - Old Mill

What appears to be an old mill, set in paddocks away from the highway. This is clearly visible to passing motorists although private and inaccessible. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH010

 

Greenough - Hampton Arms

The Hampton Arms is in Greenough South and is located on a local road slightly west of the main highway. This was built in 1863. It is still a functioning hotel. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH011

 

Greenough - St James Church

In South Greenough is what was formerly St James' Church. The church was consecrated by Bishop Hale on 27th July, 1873. The National Trust of Australia now owns this site. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH012

 

Greenough - Pioneer Museum

This former two-storey house and adjacent Maley's grain mill is now the Pioneer Museum which was established in 1966. Construction commenced in 1862. This is in South Greenough. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH013

 

Greenough - Leaning Tree

One of many "leaning trees" in the Greenough area. These are River Gums. They are very hardy though have weak branches. Persistent strong winds have caused the trees to appear to hug the ground. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH014

 

Greenough - Leaning Tree

Another of the leaning trees. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH015

 

Greenough - Greenough River Estuary

The Greenough River estuary. A sand bar currently blocks any flow into the ocean. Just a handful of kilometres upstream, the river is totally dry. September 2014. Photos Ref: GRGH016


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission