Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Glendalough

Glendalough is a small suburb centred on Scarborough Beach Road. The earliest recorded European settlement in the area dates back to 1837. The Catholic Church was active in the area in the very early days and indeed it was the church who named the area, after Glendalough in Ireland, a town in the County of Wicklow which is a renowned Catholic Centre. Chinese market gardeners were very active in this locality in the pre-urbanisation days


 
 
 
 
 

Glendalough - Little Sisters Chapel

The Little Sisters of the Poor, Home for the Elderly Centre, in Glendalough. This is their fine chapel which was constructed in 1924. The Sisters moved into this site in 1921. The home is in a compound on Rawlins Street. Photo - October 2014. Photos Ref: GLDH001

 

Glendalough - Little Sisters Building

Within the grounds of the Little Sisters of the Poor is this old building. It looks like very old accommodation units. Prior to the Sisters acquiring this site in 1921, here stood the St Kevin's Industrial School for Boys which was founded in 1897 by the Oblate Fathers. October 2014. Photos Ref: GLDH002

 

Glendalough - Leeder St Flats

On the corner of Leeder and Pollard Streets are two rather large blocks of flats which can be seen for miles around. The sunny face is fronting Pollard Street. October 2014. Photos Ref: GLDH003

 

Glendalough - Leeder St Flats

This is the main block of units facing Leeder Street. This block is the closer to the Glendalough railway station. October 2014. Photos Ref: GLDH004

 

Glendalough - Chrysalis Montessori

On Parkland Road is the Chrysalis Montessori School. The school caters for children aged 3 through 12 . This school was established in North Perth in 1990 and moved to this site in 1991. Current enrolment exceeds 150. October 2014. Photos Ref: GLDH005

 

Glendalough - Catholic Church

On Jugan Street is St. Bernadette's Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone was blessed and dedicated by Most Rev. R. Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on 26th March 1961. October 2014. Photos Ref: GLDH006

 

Glendalough - Train Station

The Glendalough railway station is a stopping point on the north-south rail line (Mandurah to Butler), and a passenger transfer point for those wishing to bus to Innaloo and Scarborough. The Mitchell Freeway split Glendalough in the early 1970's. This station is located in the middle of the Freeway and was opened in 1992. January 2012. Photos Ref: GLDH007

 

Glendalough - Chinese Market Gardeners

Mentioned in the header, Chinese market gardeners flourished in this area about 100 years ago. This plaque is set amongst the stones at the front of the railway station. It reads: "Chinese market gardens were a feature of the Glendalough area from the 1870's to 1920. The Chinese market gardeners migrated to Western Australia during the gold rush of the late nineteenth century". October 2014. Photos Ref: GLDH008

 

Glendalough - Scarborough Toyota

Standing on Glendalough railway station on a rainy Sunday afternoon. This is looking through the station glass east over towards Scarborough Beach Road running east. In the centre is Scarboro Toyota. June 2013. Photos Ref: GLDH009


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission