Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Harvey

A growing town between Yarloop and Brunswick, some 140 kms south of Perth on the South Western Highway. Harvey is located in rich dairying and fruit growing plains, some of which are irrigated. Explorers Collie and Preston discovered the Harvey River in 1829. The town name was taken from the river named by Governor Stirling in 1829. Harvey was established as a private town in 1893 and did not go public until 1938 despite prior Road Board pleas


 
 
   
 
 

Harvey - South Western Highway looking south

Driving south on the South Western Highway this is the approach to the town of Harvey. Just around the corner up there is a leafy dell where the highway crosses the Harvey River. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV001

 

Harvey - South Western Highway Bridge

Just before entering town and off to the east is the Harvey Agricultural College. This is the college access road. This bridge spans the Harvey River. Beyond the bridge are the college buildings. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV002

 

Harvey - Internment Shrine

To the north of town is the Internment Camp Memorial Shrine. During World War II, migrants of German or Italian origin were considered citizens of enemy states and as such were rounded up and imprisoned in various camps in the state. At Harvey was Camp Number 11. Most of the migrants here were Italian. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV003

 

Harvey - Internment Shrine

One building in the Internment Shrine site. This is the chapel viewed from the rear. Around 1,000 people were imprisoned at the Harvey Camp. The actual shrine was build by internees in 1941. The chapel in the picture was constructed around the shrine in 1992. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV004

 

Harvey - Interpretive Centre

Still north of the townsite is an area which includes the Harvey Interpretive Visitor Centre, Stirling's replica cottage and the extensive Heritage Gardens. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV005

 

Harvey - Stirling's Cottage

Set in the magnificent Heritage Gardens is this replica Stirling Cottage. The original cottage was about 500 metres east of here which finally fell to pieces in the 1960's. The original cottage was occupied by children's author May Gibbs in the 1890's. Inside the cottage are tea rooms with a broad verandah jutting out up above the Harvey River offering great views for patrons. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV006

 

Harvey - Harvey River

A walk through the Heritage Gardens behind Stirling Cottage can take you along this pathway which follows the Harvey River almost right up to the South Western Highway road bridge. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV007

 

Harvey - Waterwheel

This water sculpture is within the Heritage Gardens. You can see the South Western Highway bridge crossing over the Harvey River in the background. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV008

 

Harvey - Roadhouse

This roadhouse is on the South Western Highway and was always a favourite journey break point to buy some sustenance to keep travellers going for the trip ahead. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV009

 

Harvey - Uduc Road

The main street of Harvey always seems busy and early this weekday morning is no exception. This is looking west from near the Westpac Bank. April 2013. Photos Ref: HARV010

 

Harvey - Westpac Bank

This bank was constructed in 1938 as the West Australian Bank. It later became the Bank of New South Wales and later Westpac. This is on the corner of Uduc Road and Hayward Street. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV011

 

Harvey - Shire of Harvey

The Shire of Harvey building which was constructed in 1935. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV012

 

Harvey - War Memorial Library

The Harvey War Memorial Library. This building was constructed in 1920 and opened in 1921. On either side of the front entrance are two metal plaques bearing the names of locals who perished in the two World Wars. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV013

 

Harvey - Indian Clothes Shop

This unusual looking building is on Hayward Street near the railway station. It looks rather different with that large weatherboard upper level. Down below is an Indian clothes shop. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV014

 

Harvey - Inner Centre

The mere existence of this place is a sign that the town has grown and the population has diversified from mainly agricultural pursuits of days gone by. The is the Inner Centre, a place to practice yoga and other complimentary activities. It is on Hayward Street opposite the railway station, December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV015

 

Harvey - Catholic Church

Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Harvey. This church was dedicated and opened by the Rev. Dr Clune, Archbishop of Perth, on Sunday 20th November 1932. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV016

 

Harvey - New Catholic Church

Off Young Street is the new Catholic Church. This is Our Lady of the Immigrants Church and was built in 1972. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV017

 

Harvey - Hotel

This is the Harvey Hotel on the eastern side of the railway line, separated from the main shopping area. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV018

 

Harvey - Hotel

Here is a view of the north face of the Harvey Hotel taking in a bit of morning sunlight. The hotel was built around 1907. It was originally known as the Korijekup Hotel. The upper storey was added in or about 1915. April 2013. Photos Ref: HARV019

 

Harvey - Harvey House

Harvey House is located on Hayward Street and was constructed in 1913. The building looks really good and has probably had a chequered history. These days it houses the newsagency and a seafood shop. In the old days there were tea-rooms here which remained until the 1940's. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV020

 

Harvey - CWA Building

The CWA building near the railway station. This was built in 1933 and is located in Snells Park. Mr Alf Snell created these gardens before 1936. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV021

 

Harvey - CWA Building

The rear of the CWA building showing more of the structure including its two brick chimneys. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV022

 

Harvey - Sports Ground Jim Rake Entrance

The Harvey Recreation Ground featuring the Jim Rake entrance. A really good, central location and possibly home to Harvey-Brunswick football team. These gates and the Arthur Marshall grandstand were built in 1936. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV023

 

Harvey - Arthur Marshall Stand at Sports Ground

Inside the Harvey Recreation Ground is the Arthur Marshall Stand. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV024

 

Harvey - Railway Station

On this line, many of the railway stations have undergone a metamorphosis over the years. The Harvey Station has been preserved, unlike many old railways buildings in other towns, which have disappeared altogether. The boarding/alighting point for the Australind train is the small elevated and fenced area to the right of picture. January 2013. Photos Ref: HARV025

 

Harvey - Railway Station

This is the 'road' side of the Harvey Station. It is now a museum. The station commenced construction in 1893 and underwent various changes and extensions over the years. The building ceased being a functioning railway station in 1987. December 2010. Photos Ref: HARV026

 

Harvey - Australind at Harvey Station

The Australind pauses at Harvey on its trip south to Bunbury at around 11.15 am. A few passengers alight and board. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV027

 

Harvey - Old House Near Station

This old cottage is adjacent to the railway station and line, a couple of hundred metres south of the station. It looks like it is still undergoing renovation. It could be part of the museum housed in the railway station. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV028

 

Harvey - S.E.S.

Harvey S. E. S. Headquarters is located in this building just next to the railway station. This was built in 1923 as a post office and was used as such until 1957. April 2013. Photos Ref: HARV029

 

Harvey - Masons Hall

Harvey Mason's Hall, The Harvey Lodge No. 96. The Hall was dedicated on May 16th, 1934 by M. W. Bro. F. A. McMullen, Grand Master. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV030

 

Harvey - Uniting Church Hall

Here is Harvey's first Methodist Church constructed in 1924. These days it may serve simply as a church hall to the newer church next door. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV031

 

Harvey - Methodist Church

Just to the right of the Uniting Church Hall on Uduc Road (West) is the newer Methodist Church. The Foundation Stone reads: "Harvey Methodist Church, Erected to the Glory of God by Voluntary Effort, 1954". January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV032

 

Harvey - Uniting Hall and Church

A picture of both the old and the new Methodist churches sitting side by side on Uduc Road. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV033

 

Harvey - Anglican Hall

This old, timber hall is the Anglican Hall, formerly the Church of England Hall.
It is on Young Street. The hall was built in 1906. It was moved to this site in the early 1950's. Next to the hall is the new St Paul's Anglican Church which was consecrated in 1960. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV034

 

Harvey - Old School Room

The oldest remaining classroom at the Harvey Primary School is the wooden structure (the left section of the building). It was built in 1901. The school has seen a succession of extensions and changes over the decades. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV035

 

Harvey - RSL Hall

The RSL Hall on Becher Street was constructed in 1938. The front section appears to have been added much later. The main building behind the facade is made of weatherboard and iron. This building is now used as the Harvey Playgroup on weekday mornings. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV036

 

Harvey - Art Gallery

Across the other side of Becher Street from the RSL Hall is the Harvey Art Gallery. This is the former PWD, Water Supply Dept and Regional Irrigation Office, constructed in 1939. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV037

 

Harvey - Church of Christ

The Harvey Church of Christ. The Foundation Stone reads "Erected to the Glory of God and Dedicated to the Extension of God's Kingdom, Through Faith in Jesus Christ. Sept. 1957". January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV038

 

Harvey - Big Orange

A couple of kilometres north of town are Harvey River Bridge Estate Winery and Harvey Fresh, milk and fruit juice manufacturers. This Big Orange lookout is located amongst a grove of orange trees just to the right of the winery entrance. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV039

 

Harvey - Harvey River Bridge Estate Winery

The entrance to Harvey River Bridge Estate winery. I have not sampled their produce but they did have a rather effective radio advertising campaign some years back and the name has always stuck in my mind. January 2014. Photos Ref: HARV040


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission