Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About


Inglewood is an inner city suburb sandwiched between Mount Lawley, Bedford and Dianella. The suburb is centred mainly around Walter Road and is home to the Mount Lawley Golf Club. Inglewood was established as a suburb in the 1890's as a result of a population surge due to the gold boom. Early settler, Mr E. Harmer, owned a property here called Inglewood Estate. The name may have originated from a vessel which called at Fremantle in the 1890's


Inglewood - Civic Theatre

The prominent former Civic Theatre on the corner of Beaufort Street and Dundas Road. This was constructed in 1937. Preceeding this, on this site or next door, was the Piccadilly Picture Gardens which was constructed in 1926 but burnt down in 1928. Films ceased being shown in the Civic Theatre in 1962. From 1979 the premises were a night club for a while. Later, Dawson's Motor Cycles occupied the premises. Flight Centre is in here now. January 2011. Photos Ref: INGL001


Inglewood - Civic Hotel

The Civic Hotel at 981 Beaufort Street. This is of fairly recent vintage, constructed in 1940. There are three hotels along Beaufort Street within a few minutes driving of each other. Queens, The Inglewood, and this, the Civic. January 2011. Photos Ref: INGL002


Inglewood - Civic Hotel

This is the front of the Civic Hotel facing Beaufort Street. Extremely quiet on a hot Sunday afternoon. January 2011. Photos Ref: INGL003


Inglewood - Inglewood Hotel

A few blocks south of the Civic Hotel is the Inglewood Hotel. This was built in 1935 and 1936. Beaufort Street runs off to the right. THis photo was taken standing on Central Avenue. January 2011. Photos Ref: INGL004


Inglewood - Inglewood Hotel

The Inglewood Hotel's rear section as viewed from the car park. January 2011. Photos Ref: INGL005


Inglewood - Old Shops

These old, closed-down shops seem (to me) to typify the lack of vibrancy around this area. The difference between here and Mount Lawley just down the road is marked. "Head Set", however, is still operating - from other premises just to the left of this building. January 2011. Photos Ref: INGL006

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission