Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Mount Lawley

Mount Lawley is an inner Perth suburb with its railway station on the Midland Line. Main roads in the area are Beaufort and Walcott Streets. The locality is named after Sir Arthur Lawley who was Governor of Western Australia for a short period in 1901-1902. Governor Lawley was also a patron and benefactor of Fairbridge Farm School. At the turn of the 20th century this area was all bushland. Samuel Copley and R. Robinson bought and developed the land


 
 
   
 
 

Mount Lawley - Astor Theatre

The Astor Theatre on Beaufort Street is still a going concern. Construction commenced in 1914. This has also been known as the Lyceum Theatre and also the State Theatre. June 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL001

 

Mount Lawley - Astor Theatre

Another view of the Astor Theatre taking in more of Beaufort Street. June 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL002

 

Mount Lawley - Alexander Buildings

On the corner of Beaufort Street and Walcott Street is the Alexander Buildings. It seems Mr Simon Alexander was the building's architect, hence the name. This was at one time known as the Broadway Buildings. Construction commenced in 1911. June 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL003

 

Mount Lawley - Methodist Church

On Walcott Street this used to be a church. It was constructed in Gothic design in 1910 (City of Vincent history booklet, 2005). Later it became the "The Church" restaurant. Then "Picasso's". Now in 2013 this is a medical centre. This was formerly a Methodist Church, also at one time known as Forrest Park Methodist Church. Inherit lists the construction date as 1933. June 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL004

 

Mount Lawley - Subway

This is the Mount Lawley underpass - Guildford Road under the Midland railway. The bridge was erected in 1907. June 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL005

 

Mount Lawley - Railway Parade Shops

These closed shops are on Railway Parade near Walcott Street. This is 37 Railway Parade. The building was erected as shops and flats in 1934. June 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL006

 

Mount Lawley - Albany Bell Castle

This rather unique looking building is on Guildford Road, on the corner of Thirlmere Road. The is called the Albany Bell Castle and today the building is divided up into secure apartments. April 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL007

 

Mount Lawley - Albany Bell Castle

The Albany Bell Castle was built in 1914 as a bake house factory for Albany Bell Limited to provide cakes and the like for its retail tearooms across Perth and in Kalgoorlie. April 2008. Photos Ref: MTLL008

 

Mount Lawley - Perth College

Perth College has been here on Beaufort Street since 1915. This part of the college is on the east side of Beaufort street (heading north) and is north of Walcott Street. Other college buildings surround this one and also spill over onto the other side of the road. January 2011. Photos Ref: MTLL009

 

Mount Lawley - Beaucott Building

On the corner of Beaufort and Walcott Streets is the Beaucott Building. This was erected in 1905 and variously modified through to 1937. The building was and continues to be a commercial complex. April 2011. Photos Ref: MTLL010

 

Mount Lawley - Flying Scotsman

The Flying Scotsman pub on Beaufort Street. This is located in the 1934-built Clarke's Buildings. April 2011. Photos Ref: MTLL011

 

Mount Lawley - Caffissimo

A rather futuristic looking Caffissimo Building on Beaufort Street, a little south of Walcott Street. April 2011. Photos Ref: MTLL012

 

Mount Lawley - Citadel

At 69 Barlee Street, this old hall has been a residential property since 2003. It was built in 1919 as a Salvation Army Citadel and remained thus until 1973 when it was taken over by the Cracovia Club and used as their hall. April 2011. Photos Ref: MTLL013


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission