Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Kalamunda

One of the largest and oldest of Perth hills settlements, this suburb is at the top of Kalamunda Road which starts in South Guildford. Residents were in the area in the 19th century. In 1901 a number of settlers sought to have the area named Calamunda which is of Aboriginal origin. Later in 1901 the Surveyor General accepted this name but re-spelt it as Kalamunnda. Still later in the same year, the spelling changed to Kalamunda, as it remains today

 
 
 
 
 

Kalamunda - Zig Zag Cultural Centre

Located at the top of Haynes Road is the brand new Zig Zag Cultural Centre. It was opened in September 2011. Pictured is the Visitor Centre section. Also in the complex is the local library plus the new entrance to the adjacent Historic Village. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA001

 

Kalamunda - Arts and Crafts Train Carriage

Next to the new Zig Zag Cultural Centre is this arts and crafts shop domiciled in an old railways guard's van. July 2008. Photos Ref: KALA002

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Old Post Office

The Kalamunda Historic Village is located at the north end of the main street, Haynes Street, and west of the Zig Zag Cultural centre. Here is the well preserved former Kalamunda Post Office (1921-1972). September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA003

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Old Post Office

Inside part of the old Post Office. That red sign on the wall reads 'Smoking Permitted Until 30 Mins. Prior To Ceasing Duty'. The good old days (cough). September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA004

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village McCullagh Cottage

McCullagh Cottage looking resplendent. It is next door to the General Store and across the road from the former Post Office. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA005

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Zig-Zag Sign

In the old days trains ran up here from Midland. They ascended the hills via a series of zig-zags. This sign affixed to the railway station wall explains it all. There are a number of photos of the zig-zag in the Gooseberry Hill locality page on this website. July 2008. Photos Ref: KALA006

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Railway Station

A view looking from the east down the platform of the old Kalamunda Railway Station. Note the 1901 spelling of the name - Kalamunnda. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA007

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Railway Station

Beyond the main railway station is this smaller building which may have been the original railway station (1903 to 1927) and was superseded by the larger version. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA008

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Railway Station

Plinthed next to the former Kalamunda railway station is steam locomotive G118. The old Post Office complete with red telephone box is in the background. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA009

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village State School

The Kalamunda State School is well preserved and is in good hands. The main class room has been completely furbished in period (1930's) school furniture and chattels and has been named the Millar Room in recognition of Mr Thomas B. Millar's long teaching service and dedication between 1923 and 1946. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA010

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village General Store

The General Store which was also doubled as the post office between 1901 and 1921. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA011

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Garage

Here is an old Shell garage in the historic village. "Reliance Motor Works. Satisfactory Service Guaranteed." Near here is also the blacksmith's shop plus other exhibits including old trucks and a bus; a manual log sawing mechanism, and many other period displays. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA012

 

Kalamunda - Historic Village Dunny

The last photo in the village is this old wooden Aussie dunny. The Historic Village is really worth a visit and only costs $5 (children over seven $2, younger free) to enter. Be early as it closes at 3.00pm on weekends. September 2012. Photos Ref: KALA013

 

Kalamunda - Jorgensen Park

A stone's throw away from the hustle and bustle of Kalamunda village, here is Jorgensen Park. An old golf course from many years ago given way to bush walking and dog running. Just up around this 'fairway' is part (near the start) of the famous Bibbulmun Track. If you like you can walk along the whole 963 kilometres all the way to Albany. July 2008. Photos Ref: KALA014

 

Kalamunda - Jorgensen Park

Trees, grass and tracks in Jorgensen Park. This land was the Kalamunda District Golf Club from 1928. From 1977 to 1994 the land was used by the Kalamunda Learning Centre. From 1994 it has been a public park. July 2008. Photos Ref: KALA015

 

Kalamunda - The Last Drop Tavern

'The Last Drop' tavern has been a popular public house for ages. It is on central Haynes Street. July 2008. Photos Ref: KALA016

 

Kalamunda - Haynes Street

Looking north along Haynes Street, you can see the 'Last Drop' and other shops. July 2008. Photos Ref: KALA017

 

Kalamunda - The Best Drop Tavern

Can you see the difference between this picture and the two of the same tavern above? Yes, you're right. Sometime in the last two and a half years the owners have changed the name from 'Last Drop' to 'Best Drop'. February 2011. Photos Ref: KALA018

 

Kalamunda - Haynes Street Pickwick's Bookshop

A little south of the 'Last Best Drop' is this shop - Pickwick's secondhand, rare and antique books. A literary browser's delight. February 2011. Photos Ref: KALA019

 

Kalamunda - Hotel

The Kalamunda Hotel on Railway Road, near the end of Haynes Street. The original Kalamunda Hotel was built in 1902 (see picture below). The pictured building was erected in 1928 for Mr Patrick Connolly, a well-known racing identity. July 2008. Photos Ref: KALA020

 

Kalamunda - Hotel

This is the older part of the Kalamunda Hotel on Railway Road. The newer part is off to the left. It was built in 1902 and was the first hotel in Kalamunda. This building suffered fire damage in 1985 and now serves as a bottle shop. January 2012. Photos Ref: KALA021

 

Kalamunda - Community Hall

Kalamunda Town Square Community Hall on Barber Street. It's opposite the post office. Apparently, this building was originally the Community Kindergarten and dates back thus to at least the late 1960's. February 2011. Photos Ref: KALA022

 

Kalamunda - Agricultural Hall

This building is south of Kalamunda, a little down Canning Road on the way to Lesmurdie. The building was established in 1896. It doesn't look that old. It has had a few modifications across the decades. This and the Performing Arts Centre next door were the first brick buildings to be built in Kalamunda. February 2011. Photos Ref: KALA023

 

Kalamunda - Performing Arts Centre

Next door to the Agricultural Hall is this Performing Arts Centre. In fact it's a mirror image of the other building. It wears its 1896 age well. February 2011. Photos Ref: KALA024

 

Kalamunda - Stirk Cottage

Stirk Cottage was constructed in 1881 and was the very first house to be built in Kalamunda. It was build by Frederick and Elizabeth Stirk. The building was subsequently enlarged between first being built and 1895. February 2011. Photos Ref: KALA025

 

Kalamunda - Headingley Hill

Headingley Hill is another building which the pioneer Stirk family constructed. It was built in 1896 and restored in 1989 by a consortium of those who cared and those who could fund it. It's located at 8 Lindsay Street, a little north of the townsite. These days the Kalamunda Community Centre uses the building. The Stirk family continued to own and occupy this property until 1978. March 2013. Photos Ref: KALA026

 

Kalamunda - Methodist Church

On the corner of Mead Street and Railway Road is the former Methodist Church. It was built of ironstone and bricks brought up from Midland in 1918. It cost 465 pounds and 10 shillings to construct which was quite a bit of money back then. The church has been deconsecrated though the building is still used for community purposes. March 2013. Photos Ref: KALA027

 

Kalamunda - Bibbulmun Track Northern Terminus

Here is the northern terminus of the Bibbulmun Track which wends itself away from here all the way south to Albany. The terminus is on the eastern side of Railway Parade on the junction of Mead Street and across the road from the Kalamunda Hotel. The track ends at the Albany railway station. Photos Ref: KALA028


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission