Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Lesmurdie

Lesmurdie sits atop the Darling Escarpment overlooking the coastal plain. This hills suburb is located up the top of Welshpool Road and south of the Kalamunda locality. As with Kalamunda, the origins of this area go back to jarrah felling and milling. In 1897 the Canning Jarrah Timber Company setup business here. Perth journalist Mr Archibald Sanderson acquired a property in the area and called it Lesmurdie after a family cottage in Banffshire, Scotland


 
 
 
 
 

Lesmurdie - St Brigid's College

St Brigid's College stands out amongst everything else around the district with its classic lines and white walls. This is the (Catherine) McAuley Wing of the College. The college was established by the Sisters of Mercy in 1929 as a girls school and continues as such. The site overall however, has a longer history. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM001

 

Lesmurdie - St Brigid's College

The front of St Brigid's College, Heritage Building. Construction of this establishment commenced in 1913 by Mr Archibald Sanderson as a school for his many children. The Sisters of Mercy purchased the property in 1929 and named it St Brigid's. The College has a deep historical connection to St Brigid's school on Fitzgerald Street in West Perth. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM002

 

Lesmurdie - St Brigid's College

Another view of part of St Brigid's College. The smaller building on the right in the administration centre. The larger building to the left is the chapel. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM003

 

Lesmurdie - St Brigid's College

Behind those white buildings above is the Sister Mary Rose indoor pool and fitness centre which is part of the college. From 1920 to 1929 this whole site was known as St Andrew's Convalescent Home which tended to the medical needs of military personnel who had returned from Word War I. During this period it was owned by the Red Cross and operated by the Department of Repatriation. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM004

 

Lesmurdie - Lesmurdie House

Mr Archibald Sanderson established the first school on the St Brigid's College site around 1913. This is Lesmurdie House, his residence, which was constructed in 1912. Mr Sanderson was also instrumental in the erection of St Swithun's Anglican Church. Lesmurdie House was later used as a hospital and at another time as a boarding house. It is within the grounds of St Brigid's College and since 2001 is has been a part of the college. The house is located near Grove Road. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM005

 

Lesmurdie - Mazenod College

This is a Catholic education institution for boys, established in 1966. It's located on Gladys Road in Lesmurdie. This is the main entrance to the Mazenod College. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM006

 

Lesmurdie - Mazenod College

A fine looking building in the Mazenod College. The college not only has day students, but provides accommodation for country boys. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM007

 

Lesmurdie - Mazenod College

The Cebula Community is the boarding part of the College. Is it named after Joseph Cebula, a Polish national born in 1902 who in 1927 became a priest. Mostly due to his religious beliefs, he suffered the horrors of World War 2 at its worst. He died in 1941. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM008

 

Lesmurdie - St Swithun's Anglican Church

Across the road from St Brigid's College, on Lesmurdie Road is this appealing church - St Swithun's Anglican Church of Australia. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM009

 

Lesmurdie - St Swithun's Anglican Church

St Swithun's Anglican Church of Australia, Lesmurdie. Local landholder, Mr Archibald Sanderson, caused this to be constructed in 1910. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM010

 

Lesmurdie - Catholic Parish Centre

The Parish Centre of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Lesmurdie. This was constructed in 1958 as the Lourdes Monastery. Father Cageny was the driving force behind the establishment. From 1975 this has been the Parish Centre. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM011

 

Lesmurdie - Girl Guide's Hall

This building is the local Girl Guide's Hall. The occupants are the Whistlepipe District Girl Guides. Named after the local Whistlepipe Gully. This resembles an old school. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM012

 

Lesmurdie - BMX Track

This BMX track is part of the Ray Owen sports complex on Gladys Road. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM013

 

Lesmurdie - Falls View to Coastal Plain

A photo taken from Falls Road looking down across the coastal plain. It is quite a spectacular view. You can see Perth City over there on the horizon. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM014

 

Lesmurdie - Falls Track

Lesmurdie Falls National Park is part of the greater Mundy National Park in the district. This track is almost at the start of the 420-metre walk to the head of the falls. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM015

 

Lesmurdie - Falls Walkway

Further up the track we go, this time the park people have kindly provided this easy walkway over the summit of this hill. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM016

 

Lesmurdie - Falls Dry

This is where the Lesmurdie Falls would be if the water was flowing. Alas it's all dry today but that didn't diminish the grandeur of the hills and rocks and rather long drop to the bottom. We'll be back next August when it's wet. Can you see one of the lookouts up there? February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM017

 

Lesmurdie - Falls Upper Lookout

This view is taken from that upper lookout you can see in the above photo. Here you can see the "lower" lookout with a view out to the coastal plain. February 2011. Photos Ref: LESM018


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission