Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Mingenew

The town of Mingenew was established in 1894. The local area is known as the Irwin District, named after the Irwin River. European settlement first occurred in 1850. The town name is derived from Mengenew Spring, a nearby waterhole. When the Midland railway arrived here in 1891, the siding was called Mingenoo Springs. The townsite was gazetted in 1906. In the very early days, this surrounding country was seen to be favourable for raising cattle


 
 
   
 
 

Mingenew - Town Sign

The Town of Mingenew welcome sign beside The Midlands Road. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING001

 

Mingenew - Railway Station

The Mingenew railway station has been retained and preserved. This dates back to 1894. A section was demolished in 1974. This is now used as an Arts and Crafts Centre. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING002

 

Mingenew - Railway Station

The rear of the railway station. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING003

 

Mingenew - Main Street

The main street of Mingenew, The Midlands Road, looking east. Visible is the NAB, the Post Office and the hotel way off in the distance. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING004

 

Mingenew - Road Board

The former Upper Irwin Road Board Office dates back to 1905. The building was recently renovated and re-opened by Hon. Paul Omodei, MLA, on 13th May, 1998. It is now used by the local Historical Society. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING005

 

Mingenew - Sewing Supplies

An old shop aside the main road selling sewing supplies. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING006

 

Mingenew - National NAB Bank

The NAB has a strong country presence. These premises double up as the post office. This was built in 1908. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING007

 

Mingenew - Bakery

At 56 Midlands Road is the bakery. The building was erected in 1900 as K & M Store. At one time it was known as the T & D Store. For a number of years after this was the premises of tea rooms. It reverted to being a store in the 1960's. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING008

 

Mingenew - Hotel

Here is the Commercial Hotel sitting on the corner of the Midlands Road and Shenton Street. It was constructed in 1908. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING009

 

Mingenew - Motel

Next to the Commercial Hotel is this small motel. There are only four rooms. Small but quite smart. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING010

 

Mingenew - Town Maps

A railway wagon alongside the main street supports the town directories. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING011

 

Mingenew - Shire Office

The Mingenew Shire office. The building's Foundation Stone was laid by W. A. Oliver Esq., on 18th December 1917. This building was formerly known as the Agricultural Hall. The previous Agricultural Hall, erected in 1895, burnt down. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING012

 

Mingenew - Park

Cecil Newton Park provides a bit of greenery and shade. The park features a sculpture of stalks and ears of wheat ("Big Ears"), the main crop grown on surrounding farms. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING013

 

Mingenew - Visitor Centre

The brightly coloured Visitor Centre. From here south through a few other towns is known as Wildflower Country. The store is located in part of the premises at 54 Midlands Road. The building was erected in 1894 and originally housed the post office and staff quarters. It has also been home to the Mail Run Cafe. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING014

 

Mingenew - Hall

A more modern building than some of the others in town, the Shire Hall was opened by Hon. David Brand, MLA, on 6th March, 1959. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING015

 

Mingenew - Catholic Church

Built in the same year as the Hall, here is St Joseph's Catholic Church located on William Street. The church was opened by Most Rev. A. J. Gummer on 28th June, 1959. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING016

 

Mingenew - Bus Shelter

A colourful bus shelter decorated with farming activities sits next to the Midlands Road. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING017

 

Mingenew - Masonic Hall

The Mingenew Lodge of Freemasons No. 101 W.A.C. The hall completion tablet was unveiled by V. Wor Bro G. A. Kempton on 25th October, 1926. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING018

 

Mingenew - Anglican Church

The fine old Anglican Church. This is the Church of the Resurrection. The Foundation Stone was laid by Mrs Elinor Oliver in July 1908. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING019

 

Mingenew - Museum

On the corner of Irwin and Victoria Street sits what is now the Mingenew Historical Museum. This was erected in 1894 as a school house. At one time it housed the Youth Club (1965 to 1978) and after that the Repertory Club for a while. September 2014. Photos Ref: MING020


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission