Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Three Springs

Three Springs is a small town located on the Midlands Road some 320 kilometres north of Perth. The first pastoral leases were taken up in the 1860's but it wasn't until the Midland Walkaway rail line came through that the town was established. In the early days the district was known as Kadathinni though the rail siding was called Three Springs. Kadathinni was gazetted in 1906 and remained named thus until 1946 when it was changed to Three Springs


 
 
   
 
 

Three Springs - Road Sign

The colourful Three Springs welcome sign next to The Midlands Road. The Midlands Road was once the main artery running from Perth to Geraldton and was formerly known as the North West Coastal Highway. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG001

 

Three Springs - Visitor Centre

The Visitor Centre sporting a fine display of everlastings. This is wildflower country. Plenty of wattle are blooming but not much else evident on the sides of the roads. Perhaps the everlastings are more prevalent east of here, towards Morawa. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG002

 

Three Springs - Main Street

A view looking east down the main street, Railway Road. A sliver of the Commercial Hotel is visible, then down to the NAB and beyond. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG003

 

Three Springs - Garage

The Ampol motor garage and True Value Hardware at the northern end of town. It seems to be a thriving mixed business. Three Springs is known for its operating talc mine which is about 10 kilometres away. The mine is apparently the second most productive talc mine in the world. The mine would serve to boost the town's economy. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG004

 

Three Springs - Hotel

The imposing Commercial Hotel on the corner of Railway Road and Thomas Street. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG005

 

Three Springs - National NAB Bank

A typical country NAB provides banking services for residents. This is the only operating bank in town. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG006

 

Three Springs - Post Office

Three Springs Post Office on Railway Road. This was built in 1939. In 1940 the town's automated telephone exchange was installed in the building. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG007

 

Three Springs - Former ES&A Bank

An old building on the main street which is now a private home. This is most certainly the former premises of the E.S.& A. Bank, constructed in 1930. The bank closed in 1941 and for some time after the building was used by Elders. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG008

 

Three Springs - Calico Crafts

Calico Farm Crafts occupies this old shop on the main street. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG009

 

Three Springs - Hall

The Shire of Three Springs Hall, a modern structure sitting on Hall Street. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG010

 

Three Springs - Kaos Kastle

Clothing and sporting wear, Kaos Kastle occupies this fine old shop on Railway Road. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG011

 

Three Springs - Shire Office

The smart Shire Offices are also located on the main street. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG012

 

Three Springs - Old Garage

Years ago a lot of traffic would have passed through town. These days only one or two service stations are viable. This one has obviously closed. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG013

 

Three Springs - Rail Wagon

An old rail wagon sits alongside the main road and adjacent to the railway lines. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG014

 

Three Springs - Silos

Imposing wheat silos dominate the town's skyline. These date back to 1960 and were upgraded in 1981. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG015

 

Three Springs - Silo Hoppers

Hoppers on the side of the silos used for loading rail wagons with grain for transportation down to the CBH main shipping depot at Kwinana. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG016

 

Three Springs - Railway Station

The Three Springs station is intact although certainly not the original. This looks of 1960's construction. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG017

 

Three Springs - Station Signal Levers

Old signal levers have been left in place as a memorial to the town's railway heyday. In the days of steam, Three Springs would have been an essential watering and coaling point, and a possible crew-change location. The passenger train to Geraldton would have paused here for passengers, plus dropping off the mail and other essentials. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG018

 

Three Springs - Rail Yard

The rail yard looking north-west, taken from the railway station platform. September 2014. Photos Ref: TSPG019


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission