Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About


This area was first surveyed in 1836 by John Septimus Roe. He used the name Emu Hill as he encountered a group of emus nearby. Early settler Charles Smith called his property Narimbeen which apparently was the Aboriginal term for Emu Hill. Explorer Charles Hunt recorded the name as Narembeen. Emu Hill was a siding on the local railway and was gazetted as a town in 1918. By 1922, the Emu Hill town declined and the present Narembeen town locale prevailed

West to Ardath  

Narembeen - Welcome Sign

Approaching town, here is their sign. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB001


Narembeen - Road Board

Constructed in 1927, this is the former Narembeen Road Board building. This is now used as The History Centre housing four museum collections. The Foundation Stone was laid by C. G. Latham, Esq. M.L.A, on August 13th, 1927. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB002


Narembeen - CWA

Next door to the old Road Board Building is the C.W.A. Rooms. On this site formerly stood a green grocer's store which was later used as a barber's shop and saddlery. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB003


Narembeen - Public Hall

In the same row of buildings as the Road Board and C.W.A, this is the Public Hall. Construction was completed in 1939. The building was opened by Hon. H. Millington, M.L.A., Minister of Works, on March 2nd, 1940. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB004


Narembeen - Post Office

The still functioning post office on Churchill Street. This is of 1927 vintage. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB005


Narembeen - Hotel

It is a little unusual to see a single-storey hotel in a town the size of Narembeen, still, here it is. This was built in 1923. It seems to have undergone renovations in 1975. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB006


Narembeen - RSL Hall

This is the former RSL Hall. The Foundation Stone was laid by Sir Charles Latham on November 15th, 1958. This has been more recently used as a museum. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB007


Narembeen - Co-Op

A street view taking in the Co-operative and a couple of other shops. The shop was built in 1947. At one time this was a Foodland store. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB008


Narembeen - Bank of NSW

The former Bank of NSW building on Churchill Street. This was constructed in 1928. Prior to becoming the Bank of NSW, this was the Western Australian Bank. The bank is now closed. The premises have since been used as a garden centre and a video store. It appears to be a private residence at present. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB009


Narembeen - Club

This bright and well-maintained building is the Narembeen Club on Thomas Street. It was erected in 1956. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB010


Narembeen - Kennedy's

This apparently was the first shop to be built and opened in town. Mr Tom Barlow was the original proprietor of the store. It would have been opened around 1924. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB011


Narembeen - Street

A view looking down Churchill Street. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB012


Narembeen - Newsagency

On Churchill Street, this is the newsagency. This was built in 1924 and still has the same outwards appearance. It was originally known as the Economic Store. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB013


Narembeen - Chemists

There is a group of shops on Churchill Street which seem to be quite modern although built in period style. This section contains a chemist's shop. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB014


Narembeen - Catholic Church

Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by Archbishop of Perth, Redmond Prendiville, on August 1st, 1954. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB015


Narembeen - Anglican Church

This is the original St Paul's Anglican Church. It has been superceded by a new church and now this building is used as a museum. This was erected in 1927. There is no Foundation Stone. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB016


Narembeen - Anglican Church

Here is the new St Paul's Anglican Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by E. Yeomans, Rector's Warden, and W. T. Hall, People's Warden, on June 7th, 1964. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB017


Narembeen - Lions Park

The Lions Park serves as a memorial to days gone by. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB018


Narembeen - Methodist Church

This former Methodist Church is now the Senior Citizen's Social Centre. The Foundation Stone was laid by John Henry Price on April 9th, 1955. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB019


Narembeen - Railway Goods Shed

A brightly-painted former goods shed in the railway area. This is now a re-cycling centre. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB020


Narembeen - Railway Station

The Narembeen railway station. This would not be the original station building. Back in the early 1920's, when the railway line was constructed, there would have been a grander, wooden building. They didn't use bricks for stations in those days. The pictured building looks 1960's. April 2015. Photos Ref: NARB021

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission