Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

North Perth

North Perth is a descriptive term used to name the area north of Perth, east of Leederville and west of Mount Lawley. Loftus, Charles and Fitzgerald Streets run north-south through the district. North Perth was established as a result of the 1890's gold boom. In the early days this much of this area was swampland which were a part of the chain of wetlands stretching from Lake Karrinyup, Lake Monger and through to Claisebrook. It was gazetted in 1901


 
 
   
 
 

North Perth - Redemptorist Monastery

The Catholic Redemptorist Monastery on Vincent Street, opposite the Bulwer Street junction, built in 1903. This is showing the western side and the front (southern) facade. Incredible stonework and ornate architecture, this is built to last a thousand years. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH001

 

North Perth - Redemptorist Monastery

The west western side of the Monastery illuminated with the afternoon sun. These buildings serve as Monastery, the Mission and Retreat House for the Redemptorist Order of Western Australia. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH002

 

North Perth - Angove Street Shops

This old brace of shops is at 56/58 Angove Street near Fitzgerald Street. This building would be getting on for a hundred years old and would have seen quite a few tenants pass through its doors. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH003

 

North Perth - Post Office and Bank (Former)

At 39 Angove Street is an unusual mix of a Cafe and Paper Fusion. This was North Perth's first purpose-built post office, erected in 1903. It operated thus until 1916 when larger premises were opened on View Street. When the post office moved out this was used by the State Bank until 1930. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH004

 

North Perth - Woodville Street Church

A former church on Woodville Street which now appears to be a private residence. There is nothing outward to state was this once was and is behind a locked gate. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH005

 

North Perth - Chapel

This seems to be known as The Chapel Space and is used for various community activities rather than for purely religious pursuits. It is at 117 Angove Street. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH006

 

North Perth - Angove Street View

Looking east along Angove Street to where it intersects with Fitzgerald Street. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH007

 

North Perth - The Apex Building

On Angove Street occupying the rather 1920's looking "The Apex" is Second Time Around. At one stage this was the North Perth Migrant Resource Centre. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH008

 

North Perth - Wesco Garage

There are not too many independent garages anymore. This one is on Angove Street, near Fitzgerald Street. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH009

 

North Perth - Police Station

The old 1907 former police station is on Angove Street. There are currently a lot of earthworks etc going on in here so I'll call back for a fresh photo in a month or two. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH010

 

North Perth - Macedonian Church

On Angove Street is this Macedonian Orthodox Church of St Nikola. January 2018. Photos Ref: NRPH011

 

North Perth - Primary School

North Perth Primary School. This has also been known as The North Perth Infants School, Toorak/Woodville Primary School and School of Instrumental Music. Construction commenced in 1898. It has been extended and modified over the years. This is the Albert Street face. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH012

 

North Perth - Primary School

A North Perth Primary School outbuilding on Olive Street. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH013

 

North Perth - School Tuck Shop

Across the road from the school on Olive Street is this old stop which could easily have been an old tuck shop. It is now "yogacentric". September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH014

 

North Perth - Rosemount Hotel

The rather bold Rosemount Hotel on the corner of Angove and Fitzgerald Streets. The hotel was constructed in 1902. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH015

 

North Perth - Rosemount Bowl

Rosemount Bowl, Pool & Snooker and you can also get a tattoo while you're here. This is a very prominent building on Fitzgerald Street, opposite the end of Angove Street. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH016

 

North Perth - Bank of NSW (Former)

The former Bank of New South Wales building at 452 Fitzgerald Street, North Perth. This was built in 1938. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH017

 

North Perth - Yin & Yang

Can you describe something presented in black and white as being colourful? It seems to apply to Yin & Yang Design at 387 Fitzgerald Street. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH018

 

North Perth - Chemist Shop

A view looking south east down Fitzgerald Street taking in Greg's Discount Chemist store. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH019

 

North Perth - Fitzgerald Street Shops

This old pair of shops on Fitzgerald Street, south of Alma Road would be around 80-90 years old. On the left is Salon Mk II Hairdressing. On the right is Fitzgerald Seafood Restaurant. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH020

 

North Perth - Bethany Church

Bethany Church Perth on Raglan Street. The Foundation Stone was laid by Rev. Prof. D.S. Adam M.A, D.D. on November 15th, 1913. September 2017. Photos Ref: NRPH021

 

North Perth - First Town Hall

On View Street, off Fitzgerald Street appears to be something of a small historic precinct. This place looks like the one time heart of North Perth. This is the original Town Hall, built in 1902. The foundation stone was laid by Hon. Geo Leake, Premier, on 5th April 1902. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH022

 

North Perth - Second Town Hall

North Perth soon outgrew its original Town Hall. Right next door is the second Town Hall which was built in 1910 and extended in 1933. In 1910, when this building opened, it became known as the Main Hall and the former building the Lesser Hall. The Town of North Perth only existed from 1901 to 1914, a mere 13 years, after which it amalgamated with the City of Perth. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH023

 

North Perth - Old Fire Station

Across the road from both the Town Halls is the old North Perth fire station, built in 1926. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH024

 

North Perth - Old Post Office

A little to the east of the fire station is the old post office which is of 1916 vintage. The new post office is just down the road on Fitzgerald Street. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH025

 

North Perth - St Hilda's Anglican Church

The final building to show today on View Street is St Hilda's Anglican Church. The foundation stone was laid by W. T. Loton Esq., on 24 July, 1915. January 2013. Photos Ref: NRPH026


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission