Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Parkerville

Parkerville is up in the hills about 27 kilometres east of Perth. Through here once passed the railway line that ran up through Swan View en route to Mount Helena and beyond. The line was opened in 1896. To get up here trains had to pass through the Swan View Tunnel. Parkerville is named after Mr S. H. Parker who was a prominent Perth lawyer and perhaps a founder of the old Parker & Parker legal firm. Mr Parker's country home is now the Old Mahogany Inn


 
 
 
 
 

Parkerville - Hotel

Looking across Owen Road here is the front of the Parkerville Tavern. Once noted for its fabulous Sunday Sessions when (in the 1970's), pubs where not allowed to open on a Sunday within a certain radius of Perth city. The hotel was built in 1905 and over the years has been known as the Railway Hotel and another time as Judge Parker's. April 2009. Photos Ref: PRKV001

 

Parkerville - Hall

The Parkerville Public Hall on the corner of Seaborne Street and Riley Road. The hall was opened in 1922. April 2009. Photos Ref: PRKV002

 

Parkerville - Sam Drucker's General Store

This is the picturesque Sam Drucker's general store in Parkerville. The building dates back to 1899. On the left of the building is The Brook restaurant. April 2009. Photos Ref: PRKV003

 

Parkerville - Fish and Chips

Next to the Parkerville Tavern is this rather interesting looking place. It looks like a little house but advertises fish & chips etc outside. April 2009. Photos Ref: PRKV004

 

Parkerville - Old Railway Reserve

This is part of a walking and horse riding trail. The trail starts about Swan View and goes to at least Chidlow. The trail is the land the old railway line used to occupy. April 2009. Photos Ref: PRKV005

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

The former Parkerville Children's Home is on Beacon Road in Parkerville. It operated under a variety of names and schemes from its inception in 1903 to closure in 2005. The driving force of the home establishment was Sister Kate Clutterbuck (1860 - 1946) who was an Anglican Nun. Pictured is The Wearne Centre, now used as reception, which was renovated in 1986. This building was originally the school and also served as the dining room. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV006

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

This building is the former dining hall. It was erected in 1936 and re-furbished in 1967. This may be called the Worthington Hall after the Secretary of Wesfarmers, Mr Worthington, who assisted in funding the construction. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV007

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

The chapel at the Parkerville Children's Home. Construction was completed in 1909. The Nave of the Church was dedicated on May 24th, 1959 by Rev. R.W.H. Moline, Archbishop of Perth. This is the Chapel of St Michael and All Angels March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV008

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

The Padbury Home. The Foundation Stone is inscribed: "This Home was Erected by Walter Padbury Esquire. To the Glory of God, for Homeless Infants. January 1906". This is now known as The Padbury Centre. Walter Padbury was well known in the Guildford and Bassendean areas. He was a major benefactor to this home. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV009

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

Another home next to the Padbury Home is unnamed but is most likely St Gabriels Home constructed in 1910. There is a Foundation Stone however, which was laid by Governor Sir Gerald Strickland, but the date has been worn off. Strickland was Governor between 1909 and 1913 so it can be reasonably assumed that this was opened during his term in office. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV010

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

A view along the verandah of the home above. The brickwork looks excellent. The building is in very good condition. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV011

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

This is the Blue Cottage which was constructed circa 1922. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV012

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

A rather dilapidated cottage towards the rear of the home. Multiple doors suggests that this building was used as single accommodation units, perhaps for staff. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV013

 

Parkerville - Children's Home

A sturdy brick building which now appears to be used as some sort of workshop. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV014

 

Parkerville - Steiner School

Within the Silver Tree Steiner School just north of the Parkerville townsite, is this creative structure which is a food shop called Silver Blossoms. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV015

 

Parkerville - Amphitheatre

What remains of the Parkerville Amphitheatre very near the end of Falls Road and on the Jane Brook. This was a popular place to go for concerts in the 1970's. It was constructed in 1966 by Mr John Jones but closed after his death in 2001. The property was then purchased by and amalgamated with the next-door United Church Youth Camp. The old amphitheatre is actually not in Parkerville at all, it is in the neighbouring locality of Hovea. March 2015. Photos Ref: PRKV016


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission