Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Mount Helena

Mount Helena is a Perth hills suburb located between Chidlow and Stoneville and set north off the Great Eastern Highway. Up until 1924 the locality was known as Lion Mill. The name change process started with Hillcrest being suggested but this was rejected. The Mount Helena name was successful as it caused no confusion with any other town names and is locally descriptive. The railway line from Midland to Chidlow passed through the settlement


 
 
   
 
 

Mount Helena - General Store

Tucked away up in the Darling Scarp, not too far from Chidlow, is Mt Helena. This is the general store in Mount Helena. It's on Keane Street. September 2010. Photos Ref: MTHN001

 

Mount Helena - Goldfields Pipeline

On the other side of the road to the store, the Goldfields pipelines wend there way through the hills on their way to Kalgoorlie. September 2010. Photos Ref: MTHN002

 

Mount Helena - Veterinary Clinic

Look at this lovely building, beautifully maintained with immaculate gardens. It's the local vets. February 2011. Photos Ref: MTHN003

 

Mount Helena - Hair Dressers

A glimpse along the main street sees this building which is the local hair and beauty salon. Behind it you can see a sliver of the IGA supermarket. February 2011. Photos Ref: MTHN004

 

Mount Helena - Bible Baptist Church

The Bible Baptist Church on Chidlow Street. The Church has a local history going back over 50 years. This building complex started to take shape in the 1960's when WW1 barracks ex-Fort Harrison were acquired and transported to this site, and it has expanded somewhat since. December 2011. Photos Ref: MTHN005

 

Mount Helena - Post Office

As with most localities, the local Post Office is very active and a business focal point for people who live here. December 2011. Photos Ref: MTHN006

 

Mount Helena - Old Shop

Across the road from the Post Office is this former shop which adds character to the locale. December 2011. Photos Ref: MTHN007

 

Mount Helena - Tavern

The Mount Helena Tavern. This was formerly the Mount Helena Hotel and before that known as the Lion Mill Hotel. It was constructed in 1902. A number of internal and external alterations have been made over the years. December 2011. Photos Ref: MTHN008

 

Mount Helena - St Mark's Anglican Church

On the corner of Ealy Street and Keane Street West is the abandoned Anglican Church of St Mark. The exterior looks reasonable but the interior is somewhat derelict. The Church was deconsecrated on January 22, 2012 by Rev. Tom Wilmot, Assistant Bishop of Perth. The Church was constructed in 1903 and perhaps deserves a better future. October 2015. Photos Ref: MTHN009


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission