Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Mahogany Creek

Mahogany Creek is a hills suburb set off to the south of the Great Eastern Highway, south of Parkerville. The suburb is named after the nearby Mahogany Creek which is a tributary to Jane Brook. An interesting fact is that Mahogany is the term given by the early settlers to jarrah. This area was developed primarily for fruit growing around 1890. Mr Parker's (Parkerville) local house is now the Old Mahogany Inn. At one stage this was known as Prince of Wales Inn


 
 
 
 
 

Mahogany Creek - Mahogany Inn

The Mahogany Inn on the corner of Great Eastern Highway and Homestead Road. This section seems to have undergone some recent renovations. The Inn was constructed in 1854 as The Prince of Wales. At some stage later it was known as the Oxford Inn. December 2011. Photos Ref: MHGY001

 

Mahogany Creek - Mahogany Inn

A little to the west of what is now the main hotel is the older section. The stonework is typical of many period buildings. The first building to be erected on this site was a barracks constructed in 1839. The barracks served to house those entrusted to ensure the safety of travellers passing through between Guildford and York. The barracks closed in 1841. December 2011. Photos Ref: MHGY002

 

Mahogany Creek - News and Supermarket

On Great Eastern Highway, on the northern side, is the Mahogany News and Supermarket. December 2011. Photos Ref: MHGY003

 

Mahogany Creek - Old Store

Hidden away down Homestead Road is the Mahogany Creek Store now selling secondhand and old wares. It's only open on Saturdays and Sundays. This appears to be the only shop now remaining close to where the rail line used to pass through. December 2011. Photos Ref: MHGY004

 

Mahogany Creek - Old Store

Another photo of the secondhand and old wares store. Today it's open with some goods spilling out onto the footpath. April 2012. Photos Ref: MHGY005

 

Mahogany Creek - Hall

Across the road from the Old Store is the Mahogany Creek Hall, sitting here quietly shrouded in greenery. This is on Strettle Road. It was built in 1954. April 2012. Photos Ref: MHGY006

 

Mahogany Creek - Treasured Toys

Next door to the Old Store is the Treasured Toys wonderland, again only open on Saturdays and Sundays. December 2011. Photos Ref: MHGY007


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission