Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Swanbourne

The suburb of Swanbourne is bounded by City Beach in the north, Cottesloe in the south and Claremont to the east. A significant amount of the land is occupied by the army facility Campbell Barracks and Cottesloe Golf Club. As with Cottesloe, Captain Charles Fremantle's brother, Baron Cottesloe, had a hand in the naming of the area. Swanbourne was the name of the Baron's local home. The area was first known as Cottesloe Beach. Development started in 1890


 
 
   
 
 

Swanbourne - Beaumont Apartments

These apartments, "The Beaumont", are on Claremont Crescent and a little to the south of the shops. On this site, up until about 15 years ago, stood the Swanbourne Hotel. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB001

 

Swanbourne - Shops on Claremont Crescent

A view of some of the shops along Claremont Crescent. Seems like time and development has forgotten about this bit of Perth. It's sort of hidden away and still looks more or less the same as it did 30-40 years ago. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB002

 

Swanbourne - Swanbourne Cellars

Further north along Claremont Crescent is Swanbourne Cellars. The young fellow in here was very helpful in providing information about the old Swanbourne Hotel site. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB003

 

Swanbourne - Shopping Strip

This is a view of the Swanbourne shopping strip from the railway over-pass bridge. Those Norfolk Island pines are an outstanding feature, as indeed they are right down through to Cottesloe and up to Scarborough. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB004

 

Swanbourne - Railway Station

One of the original 'A' class (ABB Walker) electric sets stops at Swanbourne on its way to Perth. This is only a 2-car set on a quiet Sunday afternoon. These units commenced operating in about 1990 between Fremantle and Midland. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB005

 

Swanbourne - Railway Overpass

Sitting outside the shops on Claremont Crescent and looking over the road that forms a bridge over Swanbourne train station. Beyond is Windsor House. January 2008. Photos Ref: SWNB006

 

Swanbourne - Windsor House

Windsor House is on the east side of the railway tracks, on the corner of Railway and Windsor Streets. It's commercial premises. It looks like it houses a gallery of some sorts, plus Panache Massage. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB007

 

Swanbourne - Shenton Street

A small row of shops on Shenton Street. A rather pleasant looking Choux Cafe is flanked by the Swanbourne Dental Clinic and John Burridges's Military Antique shop. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB008

 

Swanbourne - Scotch College

This building is the mainstay of the prestigious Scotch College of which Swanbourne is the home. More modern buildings, classrooms and the like, are located to the left and rear of this one. It's on Shenton Avenue. This is part of the senior school. The junior school is a little to the north and on the other side of the road. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB009

 

Swanbourne - Scotch College

Scotch College opened in February, 1897, and in those days was located on Beaufort Street in Northbridge in what is now Trades Hall, and there it remained until February, 1905 when the college relocated to Swanbourne. The Foundation Stone of this building was laid by the Governor of Western Australia, Major General Michael Jeffery in February 1997 although this building pre-dates the stone by many years. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB010

 

Swanbourne - Scotch College

A view along the verandah of this early Scotch College building. You can see the 1997 Foundation Stone on the wall on the left. January 2011. Photos Ref: SWNB011

 

Swanbourne - Lake Claremont

At the rear of the Scotch College primary school are massive playing fields and football grounds which run just about all the way down to Lake Claremont. Here is a view of part of the lake near the college boundary fence. October 2012. Photos Ref: SWNB012

 

Swanbourne - Lake Claremont

That house up on the hill would have a great view of Lake Claremont. I wonder why there are so many remnants of dead trees scattered throughout the lake? October 2012. Photos Ref: SWNB013

 

Swanbourne - Tom Collins House

At the bend where Wood Street meets Kirkwood Road is Allen Park. Within the park is an historic compound containing several old cottages. The cottage pictured was once the home of author Tom Collins, the pen-name of Mr Joseph Furphy. The cottage was relocated here from Servetus Street. March 2014. Photos Ref: SWNB014

 

Swanbourne - Furphy Water Cart

At the front of Tom Collins House is Furphy's Farm Water Cart, elaborately adorned and very colourful. March 2014. Photos Ref: SWNB015

 

Swanbourne - Mattie Furphy House

Adjacent to Tom Collins House is Mattie Furphy House. The house was built for Samuel Furphy, Joseph's (Tom Collins) son. Mattie (Martha), who had an exceptional eye for artistry, was Samuel's wife. These buildings are now used by the Fellowship of Australian Writers W.A., which hosts regular literary workshops in the houses. March 2014. Photos Ref: SWNB016

 

Swanbourne - Tom Fricker Cottage

A little past Tom Collins House is Tom Fricker Cottage. This building was moved from Jolimont and serves to represent local workers' cottages from days gone by. March 2014. Photos Ref: SWNB017

 

Swanbourne - Cottage

This house appears to be a recent addition to the park and is still being renovated. March 2014. Photos Ref: SWNB018


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission