Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Beverley

A rural community situated on the Great Southern Highway some 32 kms south of York. Beverley is an attractive and historical town located on the Avon River. The town has a rich history and is within a day trip from Perth. It is also located on the great-southern railway which runs from Perth to Albany. The town name is believed to have been adopted from a town of the same name in Yorkshire, England, the origin of some of the early regional explorers

 
 
West to The Dale  
 
 

Beverley - Town Hall

The Beverley Town Hall at the head of Vincent Street. This district hall was opened by Sir James Mitchell, Lieutenant Governor, on September 1, 1938. June 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY001

 

Beverley - Post Office

The classic-looking Beverley Post Office which dates back to 1910. It's situated next door to the Town Hall. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY002

 

Beverley - ANZ Bank

The old ANZ Bank, centre, flanked by the Post Office on the left, and a shop being rejuvenated on the right. The Bank building was erected in 1909. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY003

 

Beverley - Junior School

The former school buildings are now used as the local Community Centre. This was once the junior school which operated here from 1894 until 1950. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY004

 

Beverley - Railway Station

The Beverley train station looks very impressive is being well preserved. The Albany Progress passenger train came through here and serviced the town years ago. These days the train line is mainly used for grain haulage. The station was erected in 1886. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY005

 

Beverley - Rail Van

This old rail van sits at the rear of the railway station. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY006

 

Beverley - Railway Building

Behind the railway station is this old railways building. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY007

 

Beverley - War Memorial

On Vincent Street is the Beverley War Memorial. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY008

 

Beverley - Edwards Store

The former C. Edwards Store at 106 Vincent Street. This was built in 1886 and has also been known as Gillespie's and Self Service Store. Now this store appears to sell household goods, liquor and general merchandise. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY009

 

Beverley - Freemasons Tavern

The Freemasons Tavern is a pretty imposing looking building.  This is on the left side of the main street going towards the Avon River. Building commenced in 1898 with extensions being made in 1908. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY010

 

Beverley - CWA Rooms

The CWA Rooms on the main street. The Foundation Stone was laid by Mary Adamson and Mary McDonald on September 12th, 1936. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY011

 

Beverley - Aero Museum

Across the road from the Town Hall on Vincent Street is the Beverley Aeronautical Museum. The aircraft is a Silver Centenary Biplane made in Beverley in 1929. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY012

 

Beverley - Aero Museum - Crash Memorial

At the front of the Aero Museum is this memorial. This is aircraft landing gear commemorating the loss of the Australian National Airways Skymaster DC-4 aircraft 'Amana'. This plane crashed close to Beverley on June 26th, 1950 on its way to Melbourne via Adelaide. All 5 crew and 24 passengers perished. The names of all who died are included on the memorial plaque. This memorial was dedicated on June 26th, 2001. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY013

 

Beverley - Beverley Hotel

A prominent feature of almost all country towns and indeed Perth suburbs is the hotel and Beverley is no exception. This is the Beverley Hotel on the main street. This was built in 1885 and was originally called the Railway Hotel. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY014

 

Beverley - Red Vault Cafe

The Red Vault Cafe at 115 Vincent Street is a fairly new business but the building is not. These premises were formerly used by a bank. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY015

 

Beverley - Avon Buildings

The Avon Buildings sit in the central section of Vincent Street. Beyond to the left is the Central Buildings. This row dates back to 1886. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY016

 

Beverley - Central Buildings

This is the Central Buildings established in 1914-1915. Most of these shops are occupied and trading. One is being refurbished as a bakery and is due to open in April 2015. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY017

 

Beverley - Bank House

Probably the most impressive of all the old buildings in Beverley, this is the Bank House established in 1907. This was formerly the premises of the Union Bank. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY018

 

Beverley - Old Council Chambers

At 99 Vincent Street is the old council building. This was built in 1898 as the Council Chambers and for the use of the Roads Board. At one stage later the building was used by the fire brigade. More recently is was used as a doctor's surgery until 1995. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY019

 

Beverley - Courthouse

The old Court House looks really impressive and is being impeccably maintained. It was built in 1897 and operated as the town's courthouse until 1980. These days used as an arts and crafts centre. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY020

 

Beverley - Roads Board Building

The old Roads Board building. The Foundation Stone was laid by Frank Tyndall Broun, Esq. J.P., Chairman (presumably of the Road Board) on the 14th December 1908. This is now a private residence. February 2013. Photos Ref: BVLY021

 

Beverley - Vincent Street

A view up the main street, looking back towards Great Southern Highway. The railway line bisects the town. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY022

 

Beverley - Vincent Street

Another view of the main street, this time looking east towards the Avon River. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY023

 

Beverley - Police Buildings

This row of buildings sits off the main street at 55 Bartram Street. These are comprised of the former police station, lockup and police quarters. They were built in 1911 as part of the local judicial complex. The building block has been recently considerably renovated and is currently available for sale. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY024

 

Beverley - Masonic Lodge

This is the Masonic Lodge. W.A.C. No.73. September 2010. This was erected in 1905. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY025

 

Beverley - RSL Hall

The Beverley RSL Hall was in good use today hosting a post-ANZAC day luncheon for local citizens. This was constructed in 1904. It used to be Tattersall's White Hart Hotel. The upper storey was removed in 1954. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY026

 

Beverley - Methodist Church

This Methodist Church is on the Great Southern Highway. The Foundation Stone was laid by Mrs Horace Smith on 20th February 1907. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY027

 

Beverley - Museum

The Beverley 'Dead Finish' Museum on the Great Southern Highway. You can see an old G.P.O. postman's bicycle propped up out the front. Originally this was an hotel built in 1872 and then rebuilt in 1876 after a fire. Pre-museum days it has been variously known as the Settlers Arms, the Beverley Hotel and the Wheatsheaf Inn. This is the oldest remaining building in Beverley. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY028

 

Beverley - Old Building

An attractive stone building in Beverley which perhaps serves as a private residence. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY029

 

Beverley - Catholic Church

On the north side of the Avon River is the Sacred Heart Church, Beverley, staffed by the Norbertine Father from York. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Most Rev. P. J. Clune, Archbishop of Perth, on July 23rd, 1933. February 2013. Photos Ref: BVLY030

 

Beverley - Machinery Museum

The Vintage Machinery Museum is located a couple of hundred metres south of town on the road to Brookton. Great railway crossing signals. June 2013. Photos Ref: BVLY031

 

Beverley - Old Church

Here is the former Sacred Heart Catholic Church at 40 Queen Street. This was built in stone and was erected circa 1890. It was used as a church until 1928. The new Sacred Heart Church which was opened in 1933 superceded this one. In September 2015 this building is for sale. The asking price is $150k. April 2015. Photos Ref: BVLY032

 

Beverley - Old Garage

Down a side-street off Vincent Street and opposite the railway station main building is this old garage. The fuel pumps may have hung up their nozzles long ago but the workshop around the back is humming with activity. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY033

 

Beverley - Anglican Church

The entrance gate to St Mary's Anglican Church. This is on John Street. It is called the Lynch Gate and was constructed as a War Memorial. The gate was opened on November 11th, 1956. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY034

 

Beverley - Anglican Church

St Mary's Anglican Church, Beverley. There doesn't appear to be a Foundation Stone on the building. The Church was consecrated on November 30th, 1892 by the Reverend Parry. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY035

 

Beverley - Avon River

The Avon River has plenty of water in it today. This is a view from the road bridge at the east end of town. September 2010. Photos Ref: BVLY036

 

Beverley - Farm Silo

Seen by the side of the road heading north out of Beverley en route to York. This looks like a grain silo very much in the mode of an old mill. Lovely country around here. June 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY037

 

Beverley - Rocky Hill

A hill with an unusual rock formation seen just out of town on the Westdale Road. A thriving crop of wheat can be seen in the paddocks. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY038

 

Beverley - Edwards Crossing

Edwards Crossing is the site of the original Beverley townsite. It is located about 6 kilometres north of the current townsite, on the Top Beverley - York Road. The sign points to where old commercial buildings once were. There is nothing there now. On the left you can see a sliver of the Top Road. Above the stone and in the distance you can see St Paul's Church. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY039

 

Beverley - Edwards Crossing

The plaque besides the signpost reads: "The first business houses in the Beverley District (1850 - 1870) were located opposite this site. Store, Bootmaker, Wheelwright and Forge; and Blacksmith and Dray Merchant." The townsite was relocated so that it sat by the new York - Albany railway line. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY040

 

Beverley - Edwards Crossing St Paul's Anglican Church

The first Anglican Church in the district, the cemetery of which is still in use today. This is set upon a small hill, a couple of hundred metres behind the Edwards Crossing sign post which is shown above. William Edwards donated this land to the Church. He was a district pioneer. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY041

 

Beverley - Edwards Crossing St Paul's Anglican Church

"St Paul's Church, Edwards Crossing. Built 1859 & Consecrated 1862, this was for thirty years the Parish Church of Beverley". September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY042

 

Beverley - Edwards Crossing St Paul's Anglican Church

This is the rear of St Paul's Church, Edwards Crossing. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY043

 

Beverley - Yangedine Farm Out-Building

Yangedine Farm is located on the Top Beverley - York Road, north of Edwards Crossing. The farm was established in 1836. The pictured building is a solid brick barn erected in 1875. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY044

 

Beverley - Yangedine Farm Out-Building

To give some concept of size, here is another view of the Yangedine Farm barn, taking in a side and the rear. There is a bricked-up doorway above the roller door on the rear. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY045

 

Beverley - Yangedine Farm Out-Building

Just behind the Yangedine Farm large brick barn is this smaller building which seems to be used for grain storage these days. September 2016. Photos Ref: BVLY046


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission